J230 @ YSWG

Captain

(Roger ..... was that your machine over here today playing Dodge-'ems with the REX & Qantas RPT services about mid-morning?)

025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif I can not tell a lie - it was me on the way in and Kevin on the way out.

Now I know what those big guys stacked four and five deep feel like. The Qantas Dash-8 was touching down on 23 just as I taxied off the other end. In hindsight I probably should have let him through but we had good communication going and the Qantas pilot invited me go first. My circut track was a little horseshoe shaped I have to admit. But it was all good!

Ian - Although it took a little getting used to all our guys think the Dynon well worth the dollars. I find that rather then scanning across four or five instruments its all in the one place. My only regret, and its only a small one, is that we didnt go the full hog and get an EMS as well. I honestly havent heard a bad word about the interface presented to the pilot. Geoff actually encouraged us to purchase and it was excellent advice ;).

Even the "Old Dogs" think its great! (apologies to any syndicate members for the term - but I feel it add's to the flavour of the post).

Cheers

Roger

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodger

Was listening on my handheld while fitting fuel line yesterday when you guys were over here.

I heard you offer to stay Nth, but he called you in, so you did the right thing I reckon. Sounded very professional.

The Dash 8's and the Saabs cover those last 15 miles pretty quickly though, don't they? As I could hear that he was well established straight in when you turned final.

Did you just come over to see the big city or was there some other purpose, did I hear Kevin do a touch & go before you left and why didn't you come over and flour bomb the house on your way back home?

By the way, the airport here just recorded a 42 knot gust, so it would have been even more interesting battling the RPT's if you had come over today.

Geoff

For those of you with the Dynon I've heard that there is an upgrade available for the LCD screen. Apparently it's 200% brighter? Judging by the post dates I'd say that Captain and Rodger may not have it but possibly Ian does. I know of someone who has had his for 6 months and he has sent it off for the upgrade for a hundred or 2. Worth a call if you think you have the old screen I guess.

Hey Brent,

We actually got the BrightSreen version and as you point out it does cost a bit more but well worth it. The freight ended up costing more then the increase in the unit price (dont ask!!!). There weren't any in Aus at the time so we paid to airfreight one direct to Jabiru......wrong, wrong, wrong.

Geoff - you are damn right they get in quickly! I was (or Kevin at least) checking the rear view mirror and I have to say those landing lights were getting real big by the time we touched down. There was another J230 doing T&G's there while we were on the ground. I dont think it was local as it wasnt up when we arrived. He just flew into the circut and was still going round when we left 30 mins later. We actually did YNAR-YSWG-YTEM-YNAR, I was hoping for a coffee at Wagga but the airport coffeeshop was shut. If I had known you were listening I could've have ordered two and got them delivered keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Nothing wring with that gauge Rob.

Chris, the carpet is the standard dark grey that I ordered with the kit. It is quite light weight too and I'm happy with it.

Roger ... If you would have ordered them with 20 minutes notice I would have brought 2 caps out to you. Short blacks just need 15.

Brent is correct. The following from Dynon's website. I don't think I have it but my screen is very readable ...............

Brighter Screen Options

Dynon now offers an 800-nit bright-screen option for its EFIS-D100, EMS-D120 and FlightDEK-D180 systems. The enhanced sunlight-readability, 854 x 480 resolution and night-dimming capability deliver impressive performance. The brighter screens add $200 to the price of these instruments.

The rated 800-nit brightness is double that of our standard screens supplied with 400 nits. Since the eye perceives brightness on a log scale against energy, the output does not appear twice as bright, but does deliver noticeably greater brightness under both standard and bright ambient conditions.

Dynon will continue to offer all three instruments with both the standard 400-nit screen and with the brighter 800-nit screen. Part numbers and pricing are as noted in the table below.

Instrument Part Number Retail Price EFIS-D100 System 100533-000 $2400 EFIS-D100 System with Bright Screen 100533-001 $2600 EMS-D120 System 100566-000 $2000 EMS-D120 System with Bright Screen 100566-001 $2200 FlightDEK-D180 System 100565-000 $3200 FlightDEK-D180 System with Bright Screen 100565-001 $3400 If you already own a 100-series product with a 400-nit screen, it can be upgraded for $200 plus shipping. The turn-around time for this is 1-2 weeks. To initiate an upgrade, please call our office at (425) 402-0433.

And also from Dynon's website is the following that might be of general interest to members. CASA leading the way ..............

Australian Government Approves Dynon's Instruments

The Australian government Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) recently released a letter stating that all of Dynon's EFIS and EMS systems may be fitted as non-required equipment in certified aircraft. While it cannot replace an existing required instrument or display, it may be installed as a backup instrument as long as it does not contravene the design standard of the certified aircraft.

Dynon is very excited to see the progressive view of the Australian government. We believe their position largely coincides with that of the vast majority of pilots and aircraft owners we have visited with over the past few years who see great value in using our equipment as backup instrumentation.

Dynon's Australian representative, Tony Brand from Horsham Aviation Services, has noted what a great development this represents to enhancing safety and also saving his customers costly repairs. Having replaced many failed mechanical gyros over the years, he feels the Dynon's solid-state EFIS systems will greatly enhance safety as backups to the traditional attitude instruments. He also noted a particular instance where Dynon's EMS-D10 engine monitor detected an engine problem that had previously gone undetected. This finding ultimately saved the aircraft owner many thousands of dollars.

It remains to be seen whether the FAA will someday agree with CASA's position. The recent major concessions to the traditional certification methods for Light Sport Aircraft which accept non-certified avionics for VFR operations together with CASA's recent announcement may be an early signal of change for the future. Only time will tell.

Regards Geoff

The wings & cowls were due to be sprayed over this weekend however the failure of the overload switch on my compressor late last week has delayed that by a week as the booth is not available next until then.

Gave the wings & cowls a final bog touch up & a wet rub with 450 today and will hit them with 600 for the final wet rub in the next day or so.

[ATTACH]1181[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1182[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1183[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1184[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1185[/ATTACH]

Wind has been blowing like crazy so did all of that inside ... and boy does wet rubbing make a mess.

[ATTACH]1186[/ATTACH]

Have also given the strutts a sand/polish progressively with 600/1000/1500 and they are just about ready for a polish before the final coating.

[ATTACH]1187[/ATTACH]

Fuel system inside the fuselage is just about complete.

[ATTACH]1188[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1189[/ATTACH]

Plan to attack installation of strobe boxes and panel, commencing tomorrow.

Hope some of you still find this of some interest.

Regards Geoff

IMG_6868.JPG.1e854fca641ee9d2e5f509a9cd3422f6.JPG

IMG_6869.JPG.1bd53a88a1f86bc1aaa491656a3c49db.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG.3c74581fca0cd72473a5597ce7248592.JPG

IMG_6871.JPG.8875277c277d5c6bc54a7c2eb373d2cc.JPG

IMG_6874.JPG.c9bbf14849d8096363dabba74a4925a7.JPG

IMG_6875.JPG.ffaab4cd55ab6f351861c3222cddc054.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG.615a3192c3a0658e25be15d0fb832868.JPG

IMG_6876.JPG.50beaec7d4f35affdcd8ecaa33c1ffc1.JPG

IMG_6877.JPG.67ed79fd5f26a3f8c064522f6d1d29e3.JPG

Guest AusDarren

I have to say I enjoy every update..

its a long journey, but you are making great, and regular, progress..

the first flight just keeps inching closer..

*grin*

Regards,

AusDarren

Have thoroughly enjoyed looking through your postings, and getting an idea of what it is like to build a Jab. thanks. It is good for us considering building to get a first hand idea of how it happens, and it is even better when I can see the amount of help and camaraderie that you are getting from others on this forum.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished article, but I am sure not as much as you are. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif ;) Kirk

Hey Capt,

Hows it going? At 40+ in the shade the last few days I suppose you are sleeping by day and building at night :;)4:

Not many sleeps till Avalon.......

G'day Roger

I have been really slack lately as with the great temps I've been away doing a bit of Gliding. Did 542 kms yesterday from Corowa to nth of West Wyalong (& back) and waved as I went over your joint at 11,500 or so.

Do you ever monitor 122.7 over there as that's what most use and there would have been 30 or so machines heading nth over your neck of the woods about 1 pm and back about 4 or 5 pm?

It's getting cooler tomorrow ... just 37 C, so I'll stick on a jumper and get back into 230 building.

Best regards & I look forward to following you down to Avalon and flogging off Ian's CT for a song.

Oh ... and thanks to Kirk & AusDarren for their posts last week.

Geoff

G'day Ultralights

No oxygen needed at 11500 when gliding. The rule of thumb is 12500 -14000, however with Gliding you are constantly varying height so it is not an issue when height is always changing from say 8000 - 13000, so your body tops up any deficiency while at the lower levels. The highest I have been was 14000 and no oxygen issues there for me, although I did keep an eye on the colour of the quicks in my fingernails, although I was talking to a Canadian pilot who was here last year and said that 9500 caused problems in their case.

Parachutes are mandated for all Cross-Country Soaring. Mine is from Parachutes Australia and I think was about $2500 or so. It is a Thinback emergency chute, so the rate of decent is a bit quicker than ideally desirable so as to fit into a thin backpack, therefore damaged ankles can be expected if it has to be used. See http://www.parachutesaustralia.com/s2/prod_emer_thnbk.php

Hope that adequately answers your queries.

Regards Geoff

PS - That Vampire looks swish.

You are quite right Kirk.

One of the GFA's Safety Briefing packs says the following .... however I don't know of anybody who pulls out of the good thermal at 8000 or 10000 ft because they don't have oxygen on board ..... but maybe all of the other machines in OZ have a fully charged O2 system just waiting for those good days.

Regards Geoff

Hypoxia

Whilst oxygen is compulsory above 10,000 ft QNH, it would be better to use it above 8,000 ft

if flying above this altitude for some time. This is because our type of flying is a lot more

physical than other forms of aviation and is usually combined with heat, mental,

environmental and competition stress. Accelerated fatigue, tiredness, reduced mental

alertness and headaches are the symptoms of prolonged exposure to reduced oxygen use.

All these effects are initiated through lower oxygenated blood levels to the brain and can be

damaging to the brain!

Be wary of convincing yourself that you can handle 10-12,000 ft continuously because you

are fit or used to it! To test yourself, get a lend of an Oxy system and take a sniff after

exposure for a while at 8,000 ft. It is very likely that you will experience a clearing of the head

and any energy level increase. I feel it is unfortunate that we do not use oxygen a lot more in

our gliding in Australia and believe that we should have it at competitions for safety reasons

and use above 8,000 ft QNH.

I believe that they can be used by anyone in an emergency ... but you should maybe give Parachutes Aust a call for a chat about that as they know more than me.

Skydive training is not required in gliding. I found that there are good instructions in the chute when you get it about landing into the wind and bending zee knees etc ............ but given that it is most likely never to be used, I reckon I'd do myself more damage practising for it, than I would actually using it.

They have a large pull handle on the left side that is clearly visible and as my CFI said, if you need to bale out .... once out of the aircraft you will find that you have a well directed desire to pull that release.

These things are mainly used in the event of a mid-air and based on scuttlebutt in the gliding community I would guess that a couple have been used in anger each year over the past couple of years, but I don't know the exact stats, however all that I have heard of have come down OK .... but as I said before, some knee or ankle damage or maybe a strained back can be expected, which is better than the alternative.

Another couple of points are that they are quite comfortable to use and are made to sit on (particularly the slimpack which tucks around under your bum), so if the seat shape is right, they don't damage your comfort as long as your boys don't get trapped under the crotch straps. You will see on the website that they have a sheepskin liner available and that makes it even better. You will also see that there is a high-speed and a low-speed canopy option that basically relates to the speed that the aircraft is likely to be doing when you exit.

They need to be repacked and certified regularly.

One other point that I would add is that all Sailplanes have a Canopy Jettison system, so in theory if you need to get out, the canopy comes away pretty easily ...... and you just roll out and push off (so the manual says) however if the aircraft is spinning after a midair I understand that the centrifugal and/or other forces make it very hard to get out and away, particularly if you aren't a fit young whipper snipper any more (I think I have heard that the forces are even worse if there is one wing still on and your have an asymmetric spin on your hands) ...... and then, if there is a wing still on the aircraft, you hope that it or the tail don't knock you senseless after you push off. But as I said above, that is probably better than the alternative.

Are you taking the Vampire to Narromine? I'd love to have a squiz at it in the flesh.

yep, the vampire will be there, and hoefulyl flown in from newcastle. but my ground crew (father) will be towing the trailer in case the weather turns bad,

i was curious about the chute as i initially would prefere a BRS chute, but seeing as there is no room, or extra weight allowance availible, then the personal chute is the next best option.. not that i doubt the Vampires structural integrity... but you never know, i have been very close to a few pelicans 8000 ft above the hard stuff. and i have done a few tandem jumps before.

I understand & it's not a bad idea if your cockpit and seat suit a chute, and your canopy would function OK in that case ......... and your prop has stopped turning at the time you exit.

I'd have a chat with Parachutes OZ if I were you as they have experience with emergency chutes in powered aircraft and might be able to supply more relevant info + pros & cons.

If you do call them how about posting any further info back here as I'd be interested to know any more points that come up.

And one further point .... if you haven't seen one in the flesh by early April, let me know and I'll chuck mine in the back and bring it up to Narromine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

G'day All (who are interested).

Have been flat out and distracted with work for the past month or 2, so let me assure anyone contemplating building that earnings from your work makes a great contribution to funding the initial purchase of the Kit but after that the 3 B's applies ....... Business Buggers Building.

Anyway, am now back in the J harness as of last week and following is an update:

Have fitted 10 ply tyres (see pic) sourced from M&C Tyres who advertise in the RAA Mag. M&C were very easy to deal with. [ATTACH]1741[/ATTACH] The 10 ply units are well made, have a deeper tread pattern, are a tad more but not too much heavier and are hopefully cathead proof. You need some Ian, after your experience at Narromine.

Have had a little problem with the AvMap moving map/GPS and it is away being updated. The importer, Edmo, have been EXCELLENT to deal with and are fitting a new keyboard and joystick. There was apparently a bad batch that came through and mine was one of those. While there it is having the TAWS installed + the latest map software which they tell me is greatly enhanced for OZ. It should be back this week so the AvMap and GPS input to the Dynon (the Dynon does nice fuel calcs based on GPS & route data and now has a HSI [but so does the AvMap]) will be the last items to be commissioned in the dash.

All other circuits in the dash have been commissioned and after a disproportionate amount of time sorting out the blue Master LED, all is working well.

Have installed one of Claus's solid state Landing Light flasher units and it works a treat.

Following are some pics from 3 or 4 of the Dynon screen. Finally got the carb temp sorted after fitting the wrong resistor. The Dynon Forum on their website for problem solving worked well on that and Dynon's response to my problem was immediate. [ATTACH]1746[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1742[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1743[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1744[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1745[/ATTACH]

Have almost completed behind the sound curtain where the head tank, fuel pump, fuel flow meter and fuel pressure sender are installed. [ATTACH]1747[/ATTACH]

One wing and the top and bottom of the cowl are finish painted. [ATTACH]1749[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1750[/ATTACH]

Other wing, ailerons and flaps are finish primed and rubbed back for painting next weekend if the booth is available. [ATTACH]1751[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1752[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1753[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1754[/ATTACH]

Transponder and UHF antennas are installed and all items commissioned. [ATTACH]1748[/ATTACH]

Hope to be more regular from here on.

Regards Geoff

IMG_6915.JPG.ee44453ef2c4a29ab5997edbdd20e750.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG.5703cc41fc3f62f0d9b0ec3d2d11ce39.JPG

IMG_6918.JPG.f765d47eed07894d09f083fe2f71df62.JPG

IMG_6919.JPG.8fafa67793a28cecb4adcf0894e6659e.JPG

IMG_6921.JPG.c230995e943570e2061a4fc4bcbe6fe0.JPG

IMG_6923.JPG.c0e9550cc17986f18c210c12371e675c.JPG

IMG_6924.JPG.05457916453ad05fb13d7e45eea2abdd.JPG

IMG_6926.JPG.a7b788cbd4fec6b9d55e8ce72a9cf0e3.JPG

IMG_6928.JPG.bbbfc4f9fe6459fcdcbbeef1d6c7b808.JPG

IMG_6929.JPG.820e4599b1f1f0e10ebb8488fcd432d5.JPG

IMG_6931.JPG.2d0cb4d5944d337378ebbf811282f6f4.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG.53138e87880729ca19ce607b5d3f7584.JPG

IMG_6933.JPG.6bec22b40e2e06c17e008e3cb218a187.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG.3af508405a22a5d86fb8646127317be8.JPG

Guest Andys@coffs

Geoff

Have you checked the VSWR on the UHF set? I wonder if it will be OK with regards to a ground plane, obviously I cant measure but it looks like a 1/4 wave antennae and therefore needs a gnd plane?

Andy

Thanks for that Andy.

Yes it is 1/4 wave. The dealer said it would be OK in this configuration, it works fine in a 1st test at 1200 m distance and the installation data says that these don't need to be SWR'd. I have one the same mounted on the headboard of my ute with nothing much below it and it works fine there too. Based on your note I'll test it again at 5 kms + call Mobile One tomorrow and have a chat with them.

Guest Andys@coffs

Geoff

Is the Headboard of your Ute metal? If it is, and its electrically connected to the vehicle earth then it will act as a gnd plane.

The point to make with Mobile one when you talk with them is that the antennae is mounted on fibreglass with no Gnd plane, althought the metal plate that is under the transponder antenna, because of its close proximity to the UHF antenna (which in it self can be an issue) will provide some gnd plane affect. Might be worth sending them a copy of the picture above, may also be worth checking with Microair about any issues of Tx'ing on the UHF with the Antenna very close (a fraction more than 1/4 transponder wavelength) to the transponder Antenna.

Anyway, see what they say. I spent 11yrs as a Radio tech in the RAAF, but that was a few years back now and the only radio / antenna work that I do now is my own.

Andy

• 1 month later...
Guest Roger

Capt,

Just wondering how the labours are proceeding?

We need pic's and commentary.....

Roger