Light plane in emergency at Oakey

P4D

Guest Maj Millard

Either way whoever it was, the aircraft was obviosly still flyable and able to be landed..............................Maj...

Kupunn (near Dalby) based R1820 radial 1200hp Bull Thrush ag plane flown by Robin Thompson...all in a days work apparently.

Good O'l Mr Thompson! Knew it was an Aggy bit didn't know who it was, thanks DD.

Thanks everyone for your concern about me too! Appreciated.

Guest Maj Millard

I've seen it once before with a Cessna 188. Came back with the rudder swinging in the breeze, attached only by the lower Pivot-bolt, and two cables. When I asked him if the landing was exciting, he just replied 'yes not too bad' and away he went....they go under powerlines all the time and occasionally get one with the tail .There is a strong cable that runs from the top of the cabin to the top of the tail, to deflect wires if they get too close................maj...

pic55.jpg.eedd49abdb8e31252c978b5a54d340d8.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Most have had wire strikes before. There are wire cutters on the foward edge of the gear legs, and down the center of the windshield. Sometimes they work. We had one bloke in the Burdekin who hit wires about four times in six months, with the same plane. We finally gave him the nickname of 'twang' !!.

We really got sick of going down, removing a wing, taking it back for repairs, and then refitting it...three or four times !!.

The aircraft was so 'magnatized' from hitting live wires, that there was no way we could swing the compass, so we just gave up. Not that they use them anyway !.................................................................Maj...