Kit plane Inspections?

Henry8th

My son and I are having a discussion (family argument) in regards to inspections on a kit plane. At which point in the building of a kit plan does it need to be inspected and the work signed off or is it inspected on completion and given the OK?

Good question Henry,I think the SAAA might be your answer.Back in the day under 28 rego.A SAAA inspector had to inspect the aircraft at different stages.I could be wrong here, I have not read anything lately about it( for years), but that is the way I remember it.Now these days under experimental, or amateur built I think they inspect the finished product. If RAA registered, I think a Level 2 or 3 can inspect it.Its best to take alot of photos during the build to prove you have build it.I do know that a Lancair 4 being built by a retired LAME for a Airline Pilot $10 bucks a hour.Good Value anyway the owner didnt have time to build it or more to the point didnt know who to built it.It still got passed.

Inspected and signed off on completion prior to any testing. Still advisable to have an "inspection" by anyone knowledgable or otherwise, just to get another set of eyes over the project several times throughout the build.

Henry Im building a xair registered VH experimental although this kit is pretty basic build compared to all metal builds I have had 2 inspections from technical councilor through the saaa just so if there might have been something over looked on my behalve. At the end of the build I apply for a CofA where it will be inspected by an aurthorised inspector. The technical councilor does not have the authority to sign off on anything it is just a saftey measure put in place by the saaa to help you through your build. All this info can be found on the saaa web site.

Cheers

Guest davidh10
Here's a chicken and the egg question. Should I grow wings, would I still be required to undergo 100 hour inspections?

Probably not, but would you like to discover a developing issue before it becomes a catastrophic failure in flight? How often would you I.spectators them?

Hi,

I got an L2 to inspect just before the skin went on and a LAME just before test flying started, was all good.

As i am just 3 hours from the ACT i intend with my next one to make an appointment with our Tech manager to do the inspections this time and get it all paid for and sorted in the one day(except test flights- but if he volunteers-well-?????).

Bob.

I agree, I'm a big believer of gut instinct as well as normal checks. If I have a feeling something is wrong, it usually is even if it's not immediately obvious. My gut instinct has saved me many times throughout my life.

There are 2 answers to this question. If you are building "Experimental" that will be GA registered and is usually done under the auspices of SAAA, it is recommended that you have 3 inspections by a Technical Councillor. There is no legal requirement for this but it will greatly aid your registration. If you are building a "Homebuilt" that will be RAAus registered, there are no obligatory inspections during the build period, but you do have to do an inspection under the eyes of an RAAus maintenance person or a LAME. The wording of the rule is that the builder does the inspection, but I believe that usually the maintenance person does it and passes it or gives a list of defects to be fixed.

With either type of rego it is probably a good idea to have knowledgable people looking over your shoulder.

IF you are fortunate to have friends who are knowledgeable about aircraft matters get all the comments you can. Some "big" plane drivers can't get their minds around some of the common practices that are tried and tested, initially, with U/Ls and EAA type stuff. It never hurts to have a second (or 3rd , or more) opinion. If someone finds something not done right, a red face is preferable to an early death. You are better to build inspection panels during the build stage than later. Nev

Don't get to carried away either...The SAAA TC course is a JOKE. FULLSTOP NO BS!!! If going SAAA there is no requirement for an Inspection(S)...The TC course is a JOKE...It is nothing more than an **** covering exercise by the SAAA. Believe me the fees charged by the SAAA would be better off sticking in the pokies!!!