Radio's For Trikes, Handhelds or ?

Looks like my old faithful Icom A 22 has come to its End. But what to replace her with, this is the Question ??? Maybe another hand held Radio,like the Icom A 24 ? or Perhaps The Vertex 220 or even 330 ? or the in Panel Micro Air 760.... mmmm !!? What does everyone think ? 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Hi Lance,

I've used the trusty A22 in the past, but when I started flying distances found it was only good for about 15Nm, so got the Microair M760 a few years back and haven't looked back. MacGuyver uses a Vertex220 and swears by it, he's used Microair and Xcom before so the Vertex220 must be good.

I also have a Vertex220 but haven't had the opportunity to use it on any distance flights yet, but that may change once I get the Pursuit-10 trike up and running again with its new R503.

I had my Tundra Buzzard up for a flight today and got a call from an Icom A22 on the ground at home base about 10Nm away. Heard it loud and clear and the Microair M760 in the Buzzard got back very clearly too.

Cheers,

Glen

Microair rev P and Q radios now very acceptable units. Go well with the Lynx intercom, also Comunica make an intercom that works with it. The INtercom is equally as important as the radio. Make sure the antenna is also properly installed and correctly matched to the feedline.

Microair rev P and Q radios now very acceptable units. Go well with the Lynx intercom, also Comunica make an intercom that works with it.

Communica wound up a few years ago - I think Microavionics & Flycom intercoms offer alternatives to Lynx as well as the Skysports wireless system (& no doubt many others)

Cheers

John

Guest davidh10

I'm using the Xcom and get good reports on my transmissions over up to 60nm, as well as good reception from other aircraft at 80nm. It may go further, but these distances I can easily verify.

Also see even greater distance in later post.

Hi XC

I am in the radio business full time and am also a Icom and Vertex premium dealer there are only 2 airband radio handhelds that are approved in Australia for air and ground operations they are the Icom A6 AUS and the Vertex VXA220. I am building a Savannah and I chose the Xcom for my aircraft as it has many more features above the Microair. The Xcom has a intercom built in also music input and can be ordered with the harness with a UHF cb fitted and all integrated with the intercom and seperatly switched for tx as well. I received mine just last week and have set the complete system up on the test bench here in the workshop and tested all the functions and operations of all tx and rx ops including the UHF at the same time and it works absolutely fabulous. I am very impressed with its solid output power and its receive sensitivity and audio quality. Infact I have the radio wired up and sitting in the workshop monitoring the traffic around my area here for the last week and I am now convinced I made the right choice.

Mark

PS I didnt choose the Icom IC-A210 even though I could get it cheaper due to its size and weight and I dont like to use HH radios in a fixed situation either in a aircraft or vehicle although that is of course just a personal choice...also I do not have any dealer arrangement with Xcom so I paid what everyone else pays

Guest davidh10
What intercom do you use David ?

It is built-in.

Separate audio out and mic-in for two headsets plus an auxilliary input (for music or whatever), which is muted by received signal. I don't use it, but I'm pretty sure it is also muted during speech over the intercom.

It is wired so I can make PAX either Vox or PTT and a mode switch to switch off the PAX headset, isolate from radio, or full participation.

It is a dual-com radio, so full transcieve on the current primary channel and monitors the secondary channel. Primar channel receive will override secondary if signal received on both together. Push button to swap primary and secondary and another to use single / dual channel.

The manual is downloadable as a PDF from their web site.

Well Thanks for all the Info guys, its food for thought. I am using an AirMagic Comms Set, with the V rabbit Antena. Now I guess this Is going to influence my decission , unless I Change things to suit the X-com n Micro air, as it is I will still need to change the pins from my present Icom config to fit the next radio to my coms. Wright ?

My Xcom I ordered with the premade harness to suit a Savannah and its well made also made out of the special aircraft telflon cable everything was fitted perfectly. All I did was I wired up the UHF cb to the cable and mini xlr plug supplied and when I tested the system with headsets plugged in and both radios reciving signals the whole system worked just spot on....great audio from the intercom and also radios the levels are all adjustable. So if you get the Xcom pay the extra and get the harness premade its worth it

Mark

Guest davidh10

Tonight, just lining up for departure at Yarrawonga and heard a radio call and response between ground and an air ambulance 3 miles out of Bairnsdale. That is 131 miles.

It was a little scratchey, but readable five.

G'day Glen ,, So your Taking on another Trike Progect Mate ?

Indeed . . . missed out on the Pursuit10 3 years ago but got it this time and am "Rocketising" it as one person put it, by replacing the 40hp R447 with a 50hp R503 (Discussed it with Steve Bell first). The wing is rather old so I have to tread carefully with it. I've already had the sail off it for checking and repairs by WingTech, put it back on and flown it Mid-Dec and again on NYE but the wing still needs some re-tuning. So once I've completed the R503 installation (some more wiring, fuel plumbing, change throttle cables and re-fit propeller) and completed the Rotax run-in procedure and some taxi tests I can think about rigging and tuning (leading edge tension) the wing again then eventually if all goes well, fly it again.

It did come with an Icom A-20, PTT and headset which all work fine. But since I have a Vertex220 with a PTT and headset why wouldn't I use that instead?

Since having this Pursuit10 trike I've been surprised to actually find several other Pursuit10 owners - 2 on this forum (in SA & QLD) and another in VIC. Now me in NSW (With occasional incursions into ACT).

I don't think I would have taken this on if I hadn't already had the experience of completely refurbishing my Tundra Buzzard before.

Cheers,

Glen

Good onya Glen, Best of luck and a lot of fun to ofcourse Mate, Hows Your Dad ? say Hi For me will ya ? Ive Got your old Blue Buzzard Going like a steam train now,, I just have to keep Talking Peter, (the owner) into being as enthusiastic as i am, and take it for a Run. Regards Lance,,, P.S. getting some great pics of our Island Lightning Ridge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon

You press the volume button in once and it brings up the squelch then you rotate the volume knob to adj the squelch a digital number comes up for the setting level then press the volume knob in again and it is a volume level control. The Xcom site has some great operational video on it ..have a look they are very well done

Mark