Aircraft Primer- Zinc Chromate or Oxide Primer ?

Hi Dazza 38

ICP supply a 1 litre tin of this water based black stuff I cant read Italian on it but I will get the name tomorrow and let you know. It goes between any two mating alu faces. It drys very quick...well in the Qld heat it does and once it drys its really difficult to get off. I have ordered another tin from Outback Aircraft the importers of the Savannah. It should be here in about 2 weeks I am just about to start the fuselage now and have about just under 1/2 a tin left so I ordered another tin to be sure I have enough

Mark

G'day Dazza, my RV-12 started out with all mating surfaces being prepped and primed with rattle can self etching aluminium primer. I've since moved over to EkoPrime primer/sealer from Stewart Systems. This primer (and the two part polyurethane top coat I will be using - I'm painting as I build) is water based, removing all the environmental/health/shipping problems. It ain't cheap (primer is $US120 gal and top coat is $US300 gal) but it is safe and so far sprays on really nicely, even by a mug spray painter.

Cheers, denmit

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Dazza

The stuff ICP supply for the sav kit is made by Albestano Sisa

maybe a batch number but it is

5313/A

Smalto All'acqua semiopaco nero

Got no idea what it all says but will do a search and see what I can find

mark

5313/AA Smalto all'Acqua Semiopaco Nero

E' un prodotto idrodiluibile, che soddisfa l'esigenza di resistenze, velocità di essicazione a temperatura ambiente, rispettando, grazie al contenuto di cosolvente, l'ambiente di lavoro.

Il prodotto deve essere stoccato a temperatura non inferiore a + 5°C poichè teme il gelo.

Possibilità di accelerare l'essiccazione.

http://www.albesiano.com/

Found it on the companys website but I havent done the translation

Italian to English translation

Black semi-opaque enamels 5313/AA

It 's a water soluble product that meets the need of endurance, speed of drying at room temperature, respectively, due to the content of cosolvent, the work environment.

The product should be stored at temperatures below + 5 ° C as affected by frost.

Ability to accelerate drying.

This is what it translated to

Mark

The product should be stored at temperatures below + 5 ° C as affected by frost.Ability to accelerate drying.

I'm sure your auto-translator should have said: the product should be stored above + 5 degrees.

There is is nothing much better that zinc chromate on a deoxidized surface, I believe it can still be purchased in spray cans, its use is restricted due to its carcengenic qualities

Zinc oxide primer is the replacement for the zinc chromate [The best is Aluprep/alodine/NON etch zinc oxide primer ] [second Prekote/ non etch primer] [third all the other single coat systems] Be aware Etch primers will destroy any pre-teatements as they are usually acidic in nature. cheers