Anyone with Volksplane experience?

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has much experience with building and flying a Volksplane? I've been tossing around the idea of building for years, and one day may actually get around to it. The VP-1 or 2 is on my shortlist for simplicity and even style (so, so ugly!) but I would be keen to get at least 75 knot cruise and I'm not certain it is that achievable.

I like working with wood, and I don't fancy a kit, hence the VP option. A Starlet would be nice too, but more complicated to build.

Cheers

Shane

Corby Starlet and Volksplane are two very different beasts, maybe think Lotus 7 vs Mahindra Jeep:big_grin: ie minimalist sports car against very basic transport. I don't have personal experience of the Volksplane but can only relate what someone who did, had to say when I showed interest in one; "about the best thing you can say about it is that it can get off the ground". He was not very complimentary about the experience and in particular about the control feel and balance. I suspect the cost of the build would be fairly similar but cannot comment on the relative difficulty - that said a well built Starlet is probably much easier to sell if that time ever came.

That VP2 ended up in the Clifton hangar and it was a bit rougher than the ad showed.

I always figured that... hence the price and lack of interest... still

I would be interested in hearing how the purchaser got on with the aircraft if any further info comes to light.

• Helpful 1

Thanks Spin, I hear that a lot. There is no doubt that a Starlet is more saleable, and you are correct that there is probably little difference in cost (similar size, materials, engine options etc).

No personal experience but have known of 3 Volksplanes and I think all the owners had fun with them. A totally different plane from the Corby, which is small, slippery and pretty. (Slippery with the 80 HP Jab in it). Look up Luton minor, Pietenpol air Camper. Comper Swift..These are all wood planes. Nev

I always figured that... hence the price and lack of interest... still I would be interested in hearing how the purchaser got on with the aircraft if any further info comes to light.

I looked at it in the hangar and realised that wooden planes, once they get weather damaged, are a complicated proposition to restore.

Give me a cro-mo and ali any day!

Bandit, I've just reread the thread - I may have been a bit harsh on the VP, the only reason I commented was because of my own investigation into possibly buying one, the feedback I got from a fairly no nonsense, experienced pilot who had flown several and the fact that you mentioned a Starlet as another option. I'm inclined to think that if you could get one cheaply and it fitted the kind of flying you do, go for it. My only concern is that if you were to build one, it is probably not going to cost much less than a Starlet, Nipper, Turbulent, Jodel D9 and others that Facthunter mentioned but is likely to be less valuable at the end of it. It would be a pity to sink money and a lot of work into something that isn't really what you would want.

Edit, I did a quick search online and found one listed for sale in Aus, $12K but I notice they claim a 60kts cruise.

No problems Spin.....

I used to admire a couple of Starlets that flew into/from Toowoomba about 10 years ago, looks great but I always wondered whether it might be a bit of a sqeeze under the canopy. The performance would be much better than the VP, but I don't really mind lower performance.

I also have a set of plans for the Easy Eagle 1, but don't fancy working with steel as much. Love biplanes though, which is a big plus for it. Decisions, decisions.......

• 5 months later...

HI,

I had a VP-1a that I built in 1974 and the 60kts would be at about full throttle unless using the 2Lt VW motor. For what it was it was a magic aircraft, nothing fancy just good fun. I got my name I use here from that aircraft and winter flying. If you want a basic knock about fun aircraft that is it, cheap to fly and easy to build. You just do 50kts here, there and everywhere.

Bob.

• Like 1