So Many Questions...

youngster

G'day folks,

I'm just starting to take an interest in flying, and will do a TIF with the local mob up here in Coffs in a few weeks (provided I survive the upcoming month-long trek to the US to visit the in-laws!).

I've got plenty of questions, but I think I shall wait until I talk to the flying school and fly a wee bit before bugging you all too much. In the meantime, I'll let the Captain of the A380 do the flying.

Although I do have one pretty important question about costs. Oonce i have obtained my certificate, am I likely to be looking at significant costs in addition to aircraft hire in order to keep flying? ie, will I need to be regularly buying particular equipment, supplies, insurances, etc, or are those things to worry about more as an aircraft owner?

Welcome youngster

There will be many more better placed than I to answer your questions, but essentially you won't have major expenses once qualified, except for aircraft hire. Off the top of my head, this is what you will be up for:

Licencing costs (RAA membership etc)

Security ID (ASIC or AVID as required ~$200 for 2 or 5 year respectively)

Maps, ERSA etc (only really needed if doing cross country)

Bi-yearly flight review

Most other things should be covered by the owner/school you hire from.

Yes, Coffs Aviation Centre does, however I believe you can not go solo from Coffs as they do not have approval to do so, in the Class D CTA area, where as Coffs Aero Club does. You will also need a Class 2 medical. Have a chat to both centres about the approvals.

Yes, Coffs Aviation Centre does, however I believe you can not go solo from Coffs as they do not have approval to do so, in the Class D CTA area, where as Coffs Aero Club does. You will also need a Class 2 medical. Have a chat to both centres about the approvals.

Will do, thanks for the info

Thanks for the Birthday greetings.William (fireproof)

Just read 'Youngsters' contribution,it sent my mind winging back to 1949 when I took my first positive step into a flying career (I was 20 yoa) The best advice that I can give

is, listen to your instructors,do not be afraid to ask questions even if it makes you sound and feel a bit dumb. When the going seems tough do not be put off,nothing worth having in life is easy to acheive. Be clear as to just what your targets are and don't be sidetracked. I wish you the very best Youngster,a life in aviation at any level is

great. Safe flying.fireproof

Youngster, I had a fly at Coffs this morning, (in 5334) Charlie and Martin are really nice guys, go and have a chat. PS, Coffs Aero Club in the only provider in Coffs that can send you solo from Coffs.

I just had a chat with Mike Jelliffe and they expect to have approval similar to the Aero Club within a month or so.