Aerobatic Rinh One Design DR-107/109

After browsing Youtube I came across two interesting kit built aeroplanes, the One Design DR1-07 and DR-109. These two aeroplanes are capable of +/-10G and you build them entriely out of metal tubing, wood and fabric. The DR-107 has a cruise of approx 139kts, climbs at 2100fpm, has 160hp, stalls at 55kts and has a MTOW of 522kg while the DR-109 cruises at 155kts, climbs at 2800fpm, has 260hp, stalls at 50kts and has a MTOW of ~1000kg. The aeroplanes are incredibly aerobatic and the DR-107 comes with a half decent price tag of $40,000 (second hand) with an AEIO-360 (aerobatic fuel injected) engine. Not bad considering an extra 300 will set you back $180,000USD + second hand. Neither of these aircraft should or can be RA-Aus registered, but they'd sure make an excellent aerobatic aircraft in GA.

See here for pics: http://www.dr107.info/ForSale/N105DR/N105DR_For_Sale.html

-Andrew

That DR107 is just an engine with wings, Andrew. An extremely demanding little aeroplane for a very specific purpose and more than I would want to try alone. DJP is sure to be able to offer some wise words...

kaz

The DR-107 is a popular aeroplane amongst local competition pilots here (some recent imports and some built here) - I haven't flown one but the guys who own them love them. Most have the IO-360 engine fitted. You can also buy a nice Pitts S-1 for about the same price. Both types great value. Both get the heart rate up on landing approach.

The Laser is of similar construction to the 1D, doesn't roll as fast but otherwise can do anything a 1D, Pitts or Extra can do - plus it is much easier than an Auster to land (just my opinion).

Not too many DR-109s around - I guess that everyone is buying an Extra or Edge or MX or something. The DR-109 is a great aeroplane but anything aerobatic with a Lycoming six cylinder engine (the usual fit to this model) will cost a whole lot more to operate than a four cylinder engine.

I was amazed by the fact that something made out of wood/fabric and some metal is so aerobatic! I'm going down to the Royal Aero Club this Friday to be assessed on how long it's gonna take me to do my GFPT, I have ~70hrs so they said not long. Should just be a matter of getting the GA exams and some instrument time out of the road then a flight test. I'm going to get my aerobatics endorsement in the C152A, get my T/W endo in my RAA schools Skyfox CA25 then hopefully convert to the Decathlon (that's also a wood/fabric design?). I love aerobatics and it's gonna be pretty awesome to have that endorsement!

-Andrew

I suggest that you also consider combining the tailwheel and aerobatic training in the Decathlon - higher hourly rate but there is some saving in the performance plus in combining the endorsements i.e. all the take-offs and landings in the aerobatic endorsement are worth an hour in the circuit area. If the short term goal is flying the Decathlon you may find that starting on it will get you both endorsements cheaper than flying the others then converting to the Decathlon and doing a check-out with a different school.

Incidentally, I think you'll find that an RAA tailwheel endorsement does not automatically give you a CASA tailwheel endorsement.

DJ,

I understand the tailwheel endorsement won't convert directly however it will most likely work out to be cheaper if I do the endorsement RA-Aus then convert. The hourly rate for the Decathlon is $357.50 excluding landing fees, I can't afford to do it all in the Decathlon. Even if that means not flying the Decathlon at all and sticking to the 152, all depends on how much it's gonna cost me.

-Andrew

You are paying for a lot more plane and inspections/maintenaince, with an aerobatic aircraft. To follow up djpacro, qualifications flow from GA to RAAus, not the other way around. However the experience of flying any RAAus tailwheel will reduce the time it would take to demonstrate competency on a plane like a Decathlon. Even if you have the endorsement, any other school /owner , would want a check flight, when you go somewhere else.. Aero endorsements are of each manoeuver and only relate to one type of aircraft. Currency/ recency, is a must, and if you want to insure your aerobatic plane a bare endorsement and a small number of hours won't get you far with the insurance company. The experience of the type of flying that you can do in these aircraft , do NOT require an endorsement. You could do most of the emergency manoeuver training and it will change your ideas of what YOU can do to get out of trouble for the rest of your flying career. I am differentiating here about aerobatics and EMT, but EMT should only be done in an aerobatic aircraft as it has the structural strength for one thing. Nev

I decided that I'm most likely not going to fly the Decathlon because doing briefings as well it adds another $100/hr. I'm still going to do an RA-Aus taildragger endorsement in my schools Skyfox, I'm kicking myself for not learning on that aeroplane, apparently it develops some real good pilots. I'm never going to own an aerobatic aircraft or any aircraft at all. It's too expensive!

No one is 'raining on my parade' I never said I was deffinetly going to fly the Decathlon! I appreciate all information. The reason I opened this thread was to discuss the Rinh DR-107, I was interested to see how popular it was. I don't want to purchase one or even fly one.

-Andrew