Anyone doing their CPL?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, I am a newbie on the forum with all my CPL exams done.

Now all I need is the cash to finish the flying component.

Fingers crossed I will get back to it this year...

• 2 months later...

Good fun ahead mat,

If you are looking for another easy one to follow on from Met try the human factors, I aced that one.

For me the toughest was Air Law.

Are you studying with a school or at home?

Cheers

Rick

I'm working on mine too... haven't progressed real far yet, but have all the literature to do it. If there was a way to produce money without working so I can go flying I'd be set... 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

It's not that hard, even a girl can do it. It's much easier now too, way back in the dark ages when I did it we had to do all of the exams on one day, so we couldn't study one subject at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys started doing my CPL full time on the 11th July. So yeah 10 days in and the weather is reeking havoc. Only have 3 hours to my name lol. Bring on summer already!!

What do you guys plan on doing post CPL?.............. Workwise I mean.

Tarnasky are you doing a full time flying course or do you mean the CPL theory?

Just a word of warning to the CPL candidates, if you want to do the 150 hour CPL there are very strict times when each theory exam must be done. If you sit the exams to early, you no longer qualify for the 150 hour syllabus and must do an extra 50 hours. Make sure you talk to your instructor before sitting any theory exam to make sure it is the right time to do it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing the extra 50 hours, it is all good experience, but they are hours you have to pay for.

Hey im doing the full time 150 hour intergrated course. My instructors an ex RAAF pilot....really sqaured guy. Im the first

person this school has done this course for, so yeah really happy with the way things are going. Thanx for the advice Mazda

ill make sure i dont make that mistake.

Cheers!

Hello hello,

I'm off to Bob Tait's school to do my CPL Theory. Will let you know how that works out- should be interesting going in 'cold' and hopefully coming out with all 7 exams done after 2months?!? Sounds impossible to do!?

I'm an odd-ball, I got my RA Aus Licence, started converting to PPL. Am doing my CPL exams, then finishing off the flying for PPL and CPL. Means I don't have to do a PPL Theory exam! Woo! Since I did RA Aus, I have to do the 200-hr module to allow those hours to count, so no worries with timing on the CPL Theory exams.

So I'm in Perth and am weighing up the idea of buying a plane to knock out the rest of my hours? Any thoughts people? Cost of buying vs. hiring? Anyone interested in going shares in a plane?

Cheers lads and ladies,

raindrops

rain.gif.5409f0367857047bb0ed70f1ff7b4d3b.gif

It is more expensive to buy than hire in my opinion. Purchase, hangarage, insurance, maintenance, allowances for engine and prop overhaul, allowances for other equipment upgrades, plus fuel/oil/consumables. The fixed costs are expensive whether you fly or not, so the more hours you fly the more sense it makes to buy. But your fixed costs (excluding allowance for engine, prop and upgrades) are likely to be somewhere around $7,000-$8,000 per year before you even think about going flying. That pays for a lot of hours if you hire.

Also consider what you would buy. If you buy an aircraft suitable for CPL it won't be as cheap to maintain and operate as a slower, fixed pitch aircraft. If you buy a cheaper one to operate you will still need to hire a CPL suitable aircraft for the test and some training.

In saying all that, there is nothing quite like owning one. You know it intimately, you know what works, and it is ready for you whenever you want to fly. Be prepared to get your hands dirty though, when you own there are all sorts of things to do.

Shares may or may not work, it depends on who the partners are. Some syndicates are quite well run.

Are you an AWPA member? If you write to the WA President she might know who is at the same level so you can cost share trips for hour building.

Raindrops, I am sure not all of your RA hours count towards CPL they do for your PPL but not CPL (I think) only half of them can be counted for CPL. I did read this in a CASA manual somewhere while sifting through information at a flying school to do my PPL.

• 1 month later...

Hi Raindrops

I am currently in a excellent syndicate for a 172 out of jandakot. I have been in it for a while and the benefits of it being your own plane over hiring is unbelievable, even the cost of flying is cheaper, not to mention you can fly when you want and where you want.

I am in the process of buying a Kit plane to build and will no longer need my share, So if your interested i might be selling my share in the near future.

AJ

....I'm off to Bob Tait's school to do my CPL Theory. Will let you know how that works out...rain.gif.5409f0367857047bb0ed70f1ff7b4d3b.gif

Hi Raindrops, am interested to know how it went. Did you do the 4 week full time course? What made you consider doing this option rather than via correspondence they they are running (i think it has started).

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

Yeah, I'm still over here. Its a 2months course for all the 7 exams. Thank gosh I did this, since being out of the a/c for a year and not even done the PPL Theory exam (you only need to have a BAK if you're doing the 200hr course. If you're doing the 150hr course you also need 5hrs solo xc). So with my limited everything, I snuck through the Aerody exam and got back into the swing of things (studying mostly). I think its a great way to focus and learn all that you need to know, rather than disjointed at home. Plus Bob highlights many important facts that I may have glossed over whilst reading. Also, he gives you great tips for the exam- how they may approach questions, plus practice exams and online exams. Little things that would take me a while to figure out on my own, you just ask him and badaboom, all sorted, no brain strain.

If I did it from home, it would have taken me ages. Mostly from a discipline perspective.

Hope that's useful info.

Cheers,

rain.gif.5409f0367857047bb0ed70f1ff7b4d3b.gif

• Like 1

I did my CPL(H) and found the exams challenging but also enjoyable. I self studied HF, Nav, AGK, and Met but did ground school for Air Law, Aerodynamics and Performance & Planning. I really do recommend spending the money and going to a good ground school and knocking them over quicker and with higher scores. I ended up in the mid 90% range for all the exams I did ground school for, everything else was around the 75% to 85% range.

As soon as you're done, get onto your ATPL's while you're still in study mode!

Copy that! I've certainly got plans for the ATPLs asap... as long as my brain doesn't implode before then. Its keeping the discipline... but with a lovely goal of having it all done and dusted by the end of the CPL training, it makes it easier to keep motivated.

There will be times where you may feel that it's the wrong road you've chosen or that it's harder than you thought, but don't ever give up, lean on your instructors and fellow aviators. The road is long but the reward at the end is priceless!! There's some very proud moments during training and then again at completion. You'll nail it for sure!

• 2 weeks later...