Fender bender at JFK

Exadios

Guest ozzie

Just saw some footage of a runway collision between an Airfrance A380 and a smaller regional jet. The smaller aircraft had just turned off onto a taxi way and the A380 rolled past and it's wingtip hit the other''s tail and span it almost 90 deg. no one hurt.

It's a pretty violent contact. The vertical stabiliser was much stronger that I would have thought. These are not toys you were watching. The occupants ot the smaller plane would have got a pretty big shake up and it would have a bit of damage. Nev

I wouldn't want to be the Comair crew. Looks to me like they weren't properly clear of the boundary. Anyways, the enquiry will find out who should take the rap. Might be the ground crew?

Guest ozzie

There was also the comment of how these bigger wingspan aircraft are proving that the current airports are too small for them both in movement around the airport and at the terminals.

cfi, getting a clearance does not allow you to hit a stationary object that you reasonably should be able to see. He looked to be going fairly fast. Part of being endorsed on the aircraft would be being aware of it's wingspan. I didn't say that this is easy but if someone is pulled up in the wrong lane doesn't give you the right to hit them. Nev

Doing well, 12 comments and no quips about lady drivers. And it would be beyond me to make a silly crack like that of course.

Besides those 'scarebus' things pretty much fly themselves, coulda been just in a school-yard bully mood.

• Like 1

an error in the commentry is that in the case of the Teneriffe accident ONE of the aircraft was airborne. The KLM 747 took the top off the other aircraft. The commentry said they were both on the ground. Little errors creep into history. eg the other day in an authoritave interview a writer asserted that the Ansett-ANA crash at winton Qld was an Electra. My recollection was that it was a Vickers Viscount that the wing burnt off as a result of a cabin blower fire. Nev

Creeeeeeeeeehist! 20 tonnes of aircraft spinning... Yes I said spinning... like a top! If ground crew was working around this aircraft or pax disembarking that little "clip" could have resulted in multiple fatalities. This just makes me shudder!