Video of the Savanah S I fly...

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks for that Donald, I had a good look at the S, as Iwas chatting with Murry at Shute. Very nicely finished interior thats for sure. Was that from the factory ?...Correct me if I'm wrong but the main difference with the S to Ians' XL was the curved rear fuselage corners ?...Hope you guys had a nice trip home. Jeffry Ruddle was very impressed with the airshow, and does plan to have them every two years now..Was that your first time into Shute ?......................Cheers Ross

Hi Maj,

It seems the only difference between the XL and S is the rounded fuselage... besides that and some difference in setting up the wing tank taps I really couldn't spot any difference between the factory and the kit built... it was interesting to look over the first kit built Sav you arrived in too... very little has changed with the Sav's over the years which must be a testament to them having got it pretty right the first time around (besides the widened cockpit of course).

That was my first time flying into Shute... and probably my last for quite a few years at least as PIC due to the requirement for 100 hours command time... It is a shame really because Shute Harbour didn't seem too difficult to land at... of course you get a fair bit of turbulance and bouncing when on final... but plenty of length and plenty of room for a go around if things aren't looking right. Of course the Sav makes it easy due to its excellent flying qualities. It would be great to be able to nip up to Shute for one of the excellent burgers and a nice coffee at the Beaver Bar but I guess it will have to wait.

By the way did you see the Sirius arrive before the airshow?... seemed a pretty good example of not how to land at Shute... but a testament to the strength of the aircraft's undercarriage... boing boing boing boing boing... lol I had a look at the Sirius on the Monday as the pilot was refueling... it was Siriously nice (forgive the pun) but not my cup of tea... Glass cockpit and something called "auto-flap"...

Guest Maj Millard

The Serous comes in quite often, it may be one that Micheal Coates uses for his photo business. The day of the fly-in was good weather. Believe me when it is really blowing at Shute, the landings can be quite a bit more challanging, even for the more experienced.

It won't be long before youi rack up 100 hrs PIC anyway. It uses to be 200 hrs PIC at Shute, so don't complain too loudly. You do see some real bad arrivals there at times, but hopefully not too many from the cockpit !..........................................................................Maj...

....Correct me if I'm wrong but the main difference with the S to Ians' XL was the curved rear fuselage corners?

There were some comparisons made in this thread, Maj: http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/savannah-s.11139/

I hope that sheds a bit more light on the differences. I had a close look at a Savannah S in Brisbane in January (a couple of days before the huge floods there) and it appears that the control cables coming from the fuselage at the rear exit differently (but then, I have never seen an XL "in the flesh" ~ I don't know anyone who has one for me to look at so I am comparing the S which I saw then with VG XL pictures afterwards).