Coming to Australia

GDL

I am coming to Australia early in 2012 and bringing a friend. As a Canadian ultralight pilot, I am looking forward to trying out some of your planes and fields and places (will probably be in the Caloundra area), but need to enjoy some of the other sites in Australia.

A question for the group. We have heard that Sidney is just beautiful and with many places to see. What does Melbourne offer in comparison? We have limited time in Australia and does a side trip to Melbourne make sense. I have heard it is also a beautiful city but the guidebooks are not very helpful.

Hi Mozzie. Thanks for that. I probably will not fly in Melbourne (although I can't say that for certain). I was more interested in what the city offers for things to do and see for my friend. Neither of us have been to Australia before and we thought about traveling from Sidney to Melbourne just to look it over.

I probably will settle in the Caloundra/Brisbane area to do some flying. I might still be jet lagged from a 16 hour flight from my area (and my friend even further), so flying the first few days might be a bit much.

Hi Ignition. I have been thinking of taking a train, rather than plane or car, to get around. We will be there 3-3.5 weeks, and really want to set up somewhere to relax (Caloundra seems the spot so far). But we have this chance to see a few spots and Melbourne has come up. What I have been told so far is Sidney is the place to see. But we have a brief opportunity to see other places like Melbourne. Is it worth it for the time to take.

You make good points about the distances. I am coming from Canada with its distances (Toronto for me is nearly 5000 km and I try not to do the weekend trip, ever!). It probably isn't worth it for Melbourne unless we travel directly there instead of Sidney. Also a possibility.

I have asked JG about Caloundra and he has pointed out some places to do some flying. In fact, he got me started on coming to Australia. I also talked to RA-Aus, and they will give me credit for my current flying (I have a Canadian ultralight permit with instructor rating plus a British Microlight licence), so I shouldn't have to do any training other than conversion to new plane. The trips to Melbourne and Sidney are for my friend. And she would be even more jet lagged since she is coming from much further away. Train seems more relaxing form of travel. I did this in Portugal (when I got my British licence) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Is Melbourne a good touristy city?

Thanks for that. As I mentioned to Windsor, I think I will be sick of planes by the time I get to Sidney. I asked my cousin who flies for Air Canada and occasionally does the Vancouver-Sidney 16 hour express, and he hates it as a pilot. Too long. My longest so far is Frankfurt and that is 10 hours. 16 is going to be agony. Watching scenery from a train can be enjoyable.

My friend and I are talking about perhaps 2 days each (if possible in Sidney and Melbourne before onto to Caloundra for sun and warmth. That time of the year (Feb) is still winter for both of us and in my part of the world, wet and cold and nasty.

Hi GDL. The short answer to your question is - there's definitely things to see and do in and around Melbourne.

No doubt you'll get the Melbourne knockers telling you it's not nearly as good as Sydney but having lived in many cities in Australia, I can tell you that every city is worth a visit.

Hi Numptie. Can you point out some of the things to do in Melbourne? I agree that every city is worth a look. For instance I loathe Vancouver (the nearest big city to me) but the tourists seem to love it. And unfortunately, we only have about 3 weeks to enjoy some of the highlights of your country, so we have to limit where we go since the main thing is beach and sun (and flying for me) in the area around Caloundra. It will be fantastic to see something above about 4-5 degrees at that time of the year.

Melbourne is fine - its the Victorians you have to watch out for! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif You definitely need to get out to a cricket match at either the Melbourne or Sydney Cricket Grounds.

Personally, I would suggest Coffs Harbour as a great base for relaxing, but I'm biased! The beaches are uncrowded, there is world heritage rainforest an hour away, we have regular commercial flights to Sydney and Brisbane, plus the train passes through twice a day. The fishing is good, the weather is perfect (according to the UN we have the best climate in the world), and the local food is fresh and delicious!

Thanks for the suggestions Youngster. I will take a look on the web at some of the places you suggest. I am not sure I could watch a cricket match (although I admit not having seen one before). Unlike most Canadians I am more a baseball fan than hockey. Isn't cricket like baseball but really really slow (grin)? What kinds of fresh food? Any specialties?

Ignition, I think of Sidney and/or Melbourne as arriving, spending the next day and then leaving for other places. Although the whole schedule is largely unknown at this time till both of us can get a sense of how much time we can spend in Australia. Everybody who has spent time in Sidney (amongst my relatives - at least those that I trust) has raved about it. And we could probably spend weeks getting around and seeing things. The original intent was to plop down on a beach in the Sunshine Coast and soak up something missing from our lives at that time of the year - sun, warmth. 25+ degrees - heaven! Sidney & Melbourne are fleeting opportunities.

Thanks for the all the suggestions. That is what I need because I have no clue about places & sites.

Thanks for the suggestions Youngster. I will take a look on the web at some of the places you suggest. I am not sure I could watch a cricket match (although I admit not having seen one before). Unlike most Canadians I am more a baseball fan than hockey. Isn't cricket like baseball but really really slow (grin)? What kinds of fresh food? Any specialties?

The new 20-20 form of cricket moves at a pretty quick pace and you will see a heap of action in 3 hours.

Around here, you can't go past the seafood. It's all super fresh and tasty. We also get great bananas, blueberries, and lots of good locally grown produce. The truth is, you will get great food in Sydney too.

I will ask my friend about cricket. I was hoping to watch a Aussie rules football (loved watching some on TV) but the season has ended. And not started for hockey or baseball. My area used to be famous for seafood (salmon) but it has really declined and gotten expensive (really expensive). I love fresh fish and fruit. What are the prices like. I will probably buy locally once in Caloundra and cook myself.

And while out in the Centre check out the creek's flowing into lake Eyre, it is going to be the first or possibly the second time that the Paroo River will flow into the Diamantina River, in history of the white fella being here. Fairlly special I would have thought!

Other than that flying the east coast is much more interesting than flying over baron red ground (although it does have feed on it at the mo!) A bit like flying from Las Vegas out to the Grand Canyon! is what the Centre of Australia can look like!

Will you be here around Easter, big flyin in central NSW west of Sydney!

Cheers Guy

Guest Andys@coffs

Ive lived in all the places you mentioned (Brisbane rather than Caloundra) and it would be my recomendation at this time of year to go north, not south. I pressume coming from Canada that you have sufficient experience of cold to give that a miss and as such suggest that Townsville and Cairns might be much more enjoyable at this time of year.

That said, all the cities youve mentioned are the large eastcoast cities and as such direct flights between all (without stopovers) are achievable and will all be less than or maybe just over 2hrs duration for the greatest distances, 2hrs is the point where Im over it and just want to get off any of the avtur burners. Brisbane to Townsville or Cairns is about 2hrs as well.

For a canadian looking for something very different you might look at Alice Spring and Ayres Rock, these are about smackbang in the middle of Australia and the geography, flora and fauna would have you thinking your in a very differnt part of the world to what you will experience at Caloundra.

Anyway, no matter where you go have a great time.

If you do end up at Cairns there is a trike school up at Jaques (sp?) coffee plantation on the atherton tablelands, or also a school I believe just north of Cairns between cairns and Port Douglas, from either place flying down or along the coast is magical. Trikes in Cairns at this time of year would still be very comfortable in tee shirt and shorts, Melbourne on the otherhand would be uncomfortable in a freezer suit, at least to us Australians, Canadians seem to have to deal with greater cold extremes than we do so perhaps you'll feel its summer .....

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs
During february, youd be expecting 30+ degree days...

Hmmm must try reading the damn posts before opening my mouth... missed the early 2012 thing and assumed in the close future.....Dont do Cairns in Feb/ summer if you can avoid it, unless you like sauna's 24 x 7. Ok if your used to it, Melbourne at that time of year, as for pretty much anywhere in Australia, can be pretty hot

Andy

I am biased, I don't like Melbourne, nor Sydney, Adelaide or any other big city. I am also a Queenslander, but in my opinion the best way to see a good part of Australia would be to hire a car and go from Brisbane to Sydney, on and off the pacific highway. The road is busy, but side trips will show you some of the best scenic parts of the East Coast, just follow your nose and explore the beaches and also the hinterland. Great country! Near Sydney take the detour through Wisemans Ferry and see the Hawkesbury and also some terrific sandstone country.

• Like 1

Australia is a BIG country... you won't be able to see everything. I guess Google is your best friend... You could spend 2 weeks quite easily in South East Queensland. Plan say 3-4 days to go for a good fly somewhere...Best bet is to plan on hiring a car for at least part of the time...preferably with a GPS. If you want to just chilax on a beach... take your pick and enjoy. There is certainly no lack of beautiful beaches, every one more beautiful than the last.

If it's like mid summer here when you come you should factor that in to your plans. I had a Canadian backpacker working for me a summer or two back in a heatwave when it got to 46 degrees C one day (+2 in the workshop). We were too busy to let him take a few days off poor bugga. Haven't heard from him since! :cool_shades:

Parts of Australia are somewhat analagous to hell in summer. But he LOVED the beaches....!

Thanks to all for the information. I would love to spend a half year exploring Australia but my boss (myself) cannot get that much time off. And my friend only has a little over 3 weeks to enjoy before back to the tedium. We had thought of setting up in Caloundra because it was a beach area (yes, Canada at that time of the year is miserable - in my town in BC cool and wet) and close to some airports for flying for me, and warm but not killing heat (I was told about Cairns and places north). We would not have the time for Ayres Rock and Victoria or Tasmania or other places of interest just because of time limitations.

Since we have to fly into either Sidney or Melbourne, that started this thread. Melbourne is in the discussion because so little is available in guidebooks compared to Sidney. Part of our discussion has been about whether to spend time in one or the other city and then get to the warmer beaches further north (and I like heat although 35+ probably gets a little too warm and probably a shock to the system :) ). I picked Caloundra area for a few reasons but because there are good nearby ultralight sites, good beaches but not too expensive rentals, and not too crowded at that time.

I do not want to drive because for some unknown reason Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road (grin). But I do want to sample some of the sites (as well as your ultralights) for that 3 weeks.

Don't be put off by driving RH GDL it's quite easy to adapt. I plan to be in Alaksa and Canada later next month and the first thing I do on arrival is go rent a car.... if you are not moving about much then save the money of course.

Melbourne is nice although some (like the famous Nino Cullotta) would say it's not really part of Australia. gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif But I reckon you will really enjoy QLD and Sydney.

Powerfin, thanks for the recommendation for Caloundra. I did a web search several months ago and it seemed to be a good place to be. I was not looking for glitzy but something comfortable and reasonably quiet and restful. 30 during the day is good. That is about 25 more than we average here at that time of the year.Your thoughts have reinforced my decision.

Gnarly, I generally don't drive in the places I visit. Less stressful, and most have decent local and train travel. Sidney seems to be the consensus to see but we have more planning to do. And I think I will enjoy all parts according to those relatives and friend who have been to Australia before. What part of Canada are you visiting? I live on Vancouver Island it is still cold here (way below normal) with long range predictions of remaining so until July. Flying has been the pits because of the weather.