Must be getting old...

kaz3g

Hi folks

The biggest morning tea was on at Kyneton today and I didn't get there.

I looked at the Victorian forecast last night and it didn't seem all that good -- strong northerlies, moderate turbulence below 8000 and occasional severe turbulence. I sort of decided I wouldn't go.

I looked again this morning and it still didn't thrill me. The northerlies at 5000 were forecast to be 340/25 but up to 20 knots higher below 7000 south west of YBOR/YMNG/YWLP (that's where I am)Severe turbulence still got a mention, too. So again decided I wouldn't go.

Then around 10.00 am I heard the unmistakeable sound of a radial overflying home. I went outside to see a mate, Andrew Temby headed in the direction of Kyneton in his Yak 52 TW (what a blast that aeroplane is and +9 -6 g !!!). So I went out to Coldstream to find a few of the other guys had headed off an hour and a half earlier. I procrastinated...

Then I got the Auster out, did a pre-flight and headed off north west along the inland corridor towards Kilmore even though the wind had begun to freshen

It was a bit bumpy!

I stuck to around 2200 and called Melb Radar to let them know I was down there trying to avoid the potholes. It got even worse as I neared the southern end of Mt Disappointment (the mountain where MY Black Saturday began) and suddenly I thought of that story... the one about the old C182 in bad weather at Dubbo... and I called Melb radar again to say I was doing a 180 degree and returning to Coldstream.

I didn't enjoy getting bashed around. I didn't like the stress that accompanied it. And I decided going back was better than getting there....

Must be getting old!

kaz

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

Kaz; I think one of the signs of age is that you stick to your guns and are not unduly influenced by the actions of others. Peer pressure to do things you consider unwise, means little.

You have to make your own decisions based on the available info and that is sensible, not old age.

As it happened, the forecast bad weather didn't materialize at Yarrawonga, anyway. Don't know about down south.

Here, it was pretty gusty and bumpy below about 2300', but "hands off" smooth at 3000'. Around midday, wind was about 15-18kn but northerly on the ground and Westerly at 3000'. Not too hard to see why it was bumpy. Get that amongst hills and it would naturally be worse.

Hey Kaz,

I also planned to go to Kyneton for the Biggest Morning Tea, but flying from Penfield. Looking at the forecast a NW of up to 40 knots coming over Mt Macedon simply meant "Don't Go". Milder north-westerlies still mean turbulence when taking off or landing on RW 36, as I had found out previously, so with that strength and a forecast of medium to severe turbulence made it an easy, albeit unwelcome, decision. So I went to the web site and donated what I would have spent on fuel via credit card instead.

Cheers

Neil

Kaz, In my opinion! You did the correct thing to do. The wisdom whithin you, ( Call it what you will ), was telling you to turn around and go back! You acted wisely!!!

I believe it`s debateable wheather acting cautiously is a result of, age, wisdom, a loss of nerve, or a combination of all of those things, and more!!!

Frank.

I wouldn't NECESSARILY put it down to being old. If you were really old you would not have gone to the aerodrome. You are not the first person to be up in the air and say to yourself. "what am I doing up here today?" This is not particularly FUN. I live not far from Kyneton and you can get some good turbulence around Macedon Ranges. ( perhaps that should be good examples of BAD turbulence). Nev

Bad turbulence!!! What the hell am I doing up here????????????

Back in the days when we were restricted to 500` AGL, I would fly my Chinook WT2, later the Drifter, up to the Atherton Tablelands ( Atherton is west of here ).... I`d go around the Pyramid at Gordonvale, track up the Mulgrave Valley then cross the Gillies Range above the point where the Hang Glider launch pad is...All the way trying to remain as legal and safe as possible.

Elevation of the top of the range is around 3,000`, with an almost verticle face... ( Reason for the Hang Glider launch site at that point )...Most mornings... Strong land breeze and Katabatic wind coming off the range and turbulence from the mountains left and right of the valley.

Return flight........Now around the middle of the day or later and heading east.... Approaching the range at 500` AGL, 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif, looking down at the valley 3,500` below... Sea breeze coming straight up the face of the range... Aircraft jumping around as though possessed by demons...............Result.......Real white knuckles flying.

I don`t recall many times that I didn`t think...What the hell am I doing up here, I`m never doing this again, but of course, there was a next time...and...a next time....and...!!!

I still fly on windy turbulent days, but these days,I don`t want to, and wouldn`t fly over the Gillies at 500`AGL!.. Does this mean it`s because I`m older..Wiser..Less courage`s ?

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif.............We`re all getting older by the millisecond but as long as we`re still in full controll of ourselves,the aircraft and the situation, I think we`re doing OK!!! :thumb_up:

Frank.

Guest davidh10
Bad turbulence!!! What the hell am I doing up here????????????Back in the days when we were restricted to 500` AGL,...

I still fly on windy turbulent days, but these days,I don`t want to, and wouldn`t fly over the Gillies at 500`AGL!.. Does this mean it`s because I`m older..Wiser..Less courage`s ?...

I'm guessing there were several factors at work:-

• You were limited to 500' AGL, so had to put up with the result in terms of increased turbulence around changes in terrain.

• You were younger, less experienced, and had different thought processes in terms of risk assessment.

• Younger people tend to do things for thrills, while older people tend to do them for enjoyment. {gross generalisation}

Those with children will all realise that teenagers are bulletproof! ..or at least act as if they were. I think that we all go through a maturation process (call it age if you will, but it isn't always aligned), through which we gain life experience and evaluate risks in a different light. One of the reasons for this is the inability of the young brain to correlate or understand consequences. As we mature, we gain the ability to visualise a situation and the possible consequences. Without understanding the connection of consequences to actions and situations, there is no risk!

We have only to look at the history of recreational flying and the sudden decrease in fatalities that resulted from the increases in maximum altitude / height, and the fact that 500' AGL is now the default minimum. This is proof that there is a higher risk profile in flying below 500' AGL and that it took years for regulators to "mature" in their understanding of the risk profile they imposed.

My mother has a saying. "You can't put an old head on young shoulders."

Let's face it. Flying in calm air is much more enjoyable than flying in turbulence. Each of us has a threshold at which we say.. I'm not enjoying this, so will turn back or otherwise curtail the flight if we can't find an altitude at which it is acceptable.