Sun-n-Fun Florida 2012, anyonebeen or going?

rdarby

I'm about to book my international tickets this weekend, and was wondering if anyone knew what I should expect. How big is it, do I need to spend more than a day or two at the airshow? That is one of several reasons for the trip, but I'm not sure if it's like Avalon where two days was more than enough or if I need to stay for a week! Ryan

It is not as big as Oshkosh but still is worth seeing. We whent last year and spent 3 days at the show. This was a comfortable length to be able to get arround and see it all as well as some of the air shows.

We stayed in Orlando (Disney World) and drove down each day. It took about 35 minutes and there was no traffic problems.

Parking was also a breeze.

There are not as many large planes like at Oshkosh but plenty of Lsa and experimental types.

We had a ball there but we are heading back to Oshkosh again this year.

Ianrat

CH601XL-B

Brisbane

Australia

• 1 month later...

Only saw this post yesterday. My wife and I (she likes planes - am I lucky or what! ;) ) went this year and are going again in 2012. Getting stuck right in the middle of a ferocious storm was a bit of pain, but the show is really good. Kind of like a smaller Oshkosh. We stayed at the Lakeland Garden Inn Hilton which is literally just the other side of the airport. Very comfy, and itself is a great vantage point from the 2nd floor patio (where they setup a lunch BBQ some days) if you just want to sit down & relax over beers for one or two of the days while watching the air displays rather than fighting for a position out on the tarmac. Be warned, they do charge a premium for rooms though during that week, but my wife will not tolerate el cheapo accommodation!

We also have an ulterior motive. Jim Kimball Enterprises usually has prime position inside the entrance gate with their display tent, and they're currently building our Pitts Model 12. It should be getting close to being finished at Sun N Fun 2012, and their actual workshops are only just over an hour's drive from there so it's easy to pop up and see how the plane is going. Being a customer of theirs, they also give us free drinks & an invite to their end of show party/BBQ!

Cheers,

Mike

Central Coast NSW

I've booked to arrive there on the 28th and leave on the 1st, so should have enough time to cover it.

What we need is a Recreational Flying sticker to put up in the international tent so we can find each other and say hello.

I am thinking of the Hilton, hoping I can just walk then. Is it close enough?

The hilton is coming up as no rooms available!

That's strange. I only booked just the other day on their website (did you try the actual Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland website rather than a 3rd party website? The price will be the same. There are no cheap rooms for that week). Last Sun N Fun we didn't book until about 3 months before. There should still be rooms. It's a great little hotel, but it's quite a hike if you walk. We had a hire car. The problem is that it's on the opposite side of the field and you can't take any shortcuts, so you have to go right around to the other side. I guess you could walk it, but it would take a while. Also if you want to eat anywhere other than the hotel or the junk food at Sun N Fun, you'll need a car. Typical USA. Public transport is non-existent!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the hotels worked out.

But how do I get from Tampa to Lakeland? I can't find any public transport, except Amtrak which only goes once a day meaning I have to stay over in Tampa, and it's only 50km away!

• 3 months later...

Okay I'm booked and staying at the Ramada Motel. Still need to buy entry tickets though, not that cheap!

Anyone going and want to meet up? I will be found either climbing on aeroplanes or at the nearest BBQ rib joint.