How many generations of your family are or have been members of the AUF/RAAus?

How many generations of your family are or have been members of the AUF/RAAus?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How many generations of your family are or have been members of the AUF/RAAus?

• 1 (only myself, my siblings and/or my partner)
    • 2 (myself and parent(s) or children)
    • 3 (you can work out the combinations)
    • 4 (I suppose it is humanly possible)

Guest Andys@coffs

So in reality the existance of the ability to legally fly ultralights has only been around from the late 70's from memory(1976??). As such it would have to be a somewhat unique family that could span more that say 3 generations, and would not be surprised if 2 is as good as we see in this thread

Andy

P.S that pressumes that the very 1st days of flight in the world arent considered Ultralight, if that is a wrong assumption then add 3-4 generations to the above

Guest Andys@coffs
Just Dad and I so far, Nick. But my Lad is in Wagga learning all that queer stuff they teach Avionic Technicians. He'll probably come around eventually though.

queer stuff......hmm do I detect a former framie or sumpie speaking :<)

Guest Andys@coffs
My Son, my Son-in-law and myself and we all own a flying machine each.:thumb_up:

Indeed, used to share a hangar at Gawler with him (the non in law one that is )

queer stuff......hmm do I detect a former framie or sumpie speaking :<)

Dad was a framie on #1 intake of apprentices, I was a framie on #22 intake. As I suspect you know, Andy, the RAAF doesn't have apprentices anymore, so the Lad did the next best thing, and joined anyway. It's not his fault he's not a blackhander though. The poor kid's got his mother's brains.

I had to vote for one generation - My father flew GA (pre-AUF days so he doesn't count), my husband's father flew a Gypsy Moth (pre AUF and also doesn't count). Both of us fly & are members of AUF/RAAus. I have no children, but his first wife bought a Lightwing in the hope their boys would take it up, but they never did and are now too heavy. The grand daughters don't seem interested, however he is leaving all our planes to the two boys - so there will be a big hangar sale shortly after. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Sue

Hey Wayne, is that your old man's ex-HK cub? If so she looks great. Well we have one vote for 4 generations already, by the way please feel free to identify yourself.Nick

G'day Nick,

Yep, That's the old girl from Hong Kong. At 65 years of age, she's going back to work at Billabong Aviation here in Gunnedah.

There won't be too many 4 generation exmples, I wouldn't think. But I'll be surprised if there isn't a truck load of 3 generations. You're in the middle of a threesome aren't you, what with your young fella coming up?

A question please, because my Dad's not here anymore to ask: did my Dad first start doing his AUF BFRs with you, or with your Dad?

Wayne.

Hi Wayne,

I think the old man did your old man's BFRs to start with and I did the last few. I used to love watching him and his co-pilot (what was the dog's name?) coming into YSFD in the Cub, about the only GA aircraft that was game to do so. Is it true that the dog barked when Terry had to flare?

I was thinking that "the family that plays together stays together" might make an interesting article for the magazine and that's why I asked the question above.

Nick

Hey Wayne, is that your old man's ex-HK cub? If so she looks great. Well we have one vote for 4 generations already, by the way please feel free to identify yourself.Nick

Next question Nick, because I'm new to this forum stuff. What do you mean by, "please feel free to identify yourself"? I could post my resume I suppose, but I'm not sure which would be worse; listening to the yawns, or ducking the half full beer cans.

Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.

I have said 2, because it's a foregone conclusion that my Dad will join RA-Aus.

At the moment he's in the process of reinstating his PPL after a 30-odd year break. He's using a family friend's Cessna 210 (a very kind offer!)

However, even though he's only paying for fuel (one very thirsty plane!) the costs are very high and the CASA red tape is crazy. So he's thinking of trying out a J-170. It would work out cheaper to pay for hire and fuel in the Jabiru than just fuel for the 210!

Guest Andys@coffs

So given that you cant fly (in the drivers seat) until around 15, and pressuming a generation starts each 13 years and we only have 35 available years from 76 to now, how exactly does someone get 4 generations...... unless we consider jnr at 3yrs occupying the passeneger seat as a generation flying....

Andy

Hi Wayne,I think the old man did your old man's BFRs to start with and I did the last few. I used to love watching him and his co-pilot (what was the dog's name?) coming into YSFD in the Cub, about the only GA aircraft that was game to do so. Is it true that the dog barked when Terry had to flare?

I was thinking that "the family that plays together stays together" might make an interesting article for the magazine and that's why I asked the question above.

Nick

G'day again,

The dog's name was Sue. I'm not sure if she barked at flare hieght. Dad reckoned she did. But I usually can't hear much above the sound of me sucking my teeth at about that point.

"The family that plays together stays together", sounds like an interesting concept. I'll look forward to the article.

Wayne.

Hi Wayne,

The "identify yourself" comment was aimed at the person that said that they had 4 generations of members in the organisation. I'm real curious how that came about. I suppose that someone could have joined at the age of 70 in the early days, then the next generation at 50 years of age a bit later, then next one at 30, and the last one down the track a decade or two at 20. So it is possible.

Nick

Hi Wayne,The "identify yourself" comment was aimed at the person that said that they had 4 generations of members in the organisation. I'm real curious how that came about. I suppose that someone could have joined at the age of 70 in the early days, then the next generation at 50 years of age a bit later, then next one at 30, and the last one down the track a decade or two at 20. So it is possible.

Nick

It certainly is possible Nick, and Grt Grandad may well still be flying. I'll give you an example.

Grt Grandad born '32

Son born '51

Grandson born '73

Grt Grandson born '95

It hasn't happened in my mob, but there's bound to be somebody out there lucky enough to have similar numbers.

Wayne.

4 Generations - we could have done it if husband's father (died 2002) had converted from GA to AUF, and the sons had learnt to fly when his parents bought a plane and paid for his training, and if the oldest grand child followed. (Sorry, applications for adoption into his family are closed!!!)

I wonder if the old addage about one generation works for it, the next builds it and the third squanders it, holds true in aviation? Various versions of this addage are related in business management - particularly family owned ventures.

Sue

I wonder if the old addage about one generation works for it, the next builds it and the third squanders it, holds true in aviation? Various versions of this addage are related in business management - particularly family owned ventures.

Sue

Well it looks like Tristan (on the left) won't be getting the family business after all. Anyone want to buy a flying school in about 20 years time?

Nick

Hey Wayne you missed Nick's not so subtle point, he is waiting for you to write the article about you and your dad. Sounds like an interesting story mate.David

Aargh Jeez Dave, have you been told lately, that you're about as subtle as a train crash. I thought I'd tap danced round Nick's idea with a degree of finesse, and BAM, you yank my chain. You know don't you, that when she who must be obeyed starts grumbling about the time I'm spending at the keyboard, I'm gunna blame you?

Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.

Awright, I'll have a go at writing it, Nick. But I can't guarantee Brian Bigg won't come by and brick your roof for suggesting it.

Damn, "The family that plays together stays together" is the subject, eh? Sounds like something that should be writen by somebody from the South Island.

OK, here we go: It was a dark and stormy night......... To be continued.

Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.