Polikarpov PO2 scratch build

This is going to be a long term thread as im collecting as much information as I can, especially technical and drawings for the Polikarpov PO2. While building my Pietenpol I am researching the viability of building a PO2 from scratch. The original had a Shvetsov M-11 5 cylinder radial engine and I thought the Kinner could be a substitute. Does anyone else know of a similar 5 cylinder radial around the 100-150hp range that maybe worth looking in to? I have a few technical manuals here in Russian but I can translate what I need through Google. I am keeping an eye out on Barnstormers for likely engines and they do come up every now and again.

Dont ask why a Polikarpov, I just think these are gorgeous!

Would be keen to hear from anyone who may have had anything to do with one or has any info I may not already have.

Scotty 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

3view1.thumb.jpg.d85440766b606a0c2af98117340634a1.jpg

3view1.thumb.jpg.d85440766b606a0c2af98117340634a1.jpg

P8290063.JPG.e3a758e75f9addd93e8790ae4bf86cb6.JPG

05d0_1.JPG.b5059c4a7b35083c8ef85d6c9ebeb8d4.JPG

0861016.thumb.jpg.d7ce913b85dffd3d93731be64e1b067f.jpg

• Like 1

Getting an old motor is one thing getting it in reliable running order is another. That is a big lump of 5 cylinder motor and it is probably pretty shakey. The plane should fly well. Have you looked at a Bucher Yungmeister? Nev

Getting an old motor is one thing getting it in reliable running order is another. That is a big lump of 5 cylinder motor and it is probably pretty shakey. The plane should fly well. Have you looked at a Bucher Yungmeister? Nev

Hi Nev..yes your right but I like a challenge...lol!

Scotty 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Hi Nev..yes your right but I like a challenge...lol!Scotty 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I remember my Granddad told me I could eat an elephant if'n I wanted too. When I asked him how I could do that, he said, "One bite at a time, Son. One bite at a time."

I'd never heard of this aircraft before I saw your post, Scott. When I looked it up,,, WOW!,,, 40,000 of them built up until 1959. There's gotta be some spares out there somewhere.

Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.

Hi Wayne....it is these aircraft that the woman regiments (Night Witch's) flew in the war, at night, dropping bombs. They flew so slow and low that the enemy couldnt follow them to shoot them down as they would stall. There is a good book that tells the story. I wish the NZ film producer Peter Jackson would do a movie on it. With his love of planes and facilities to build them it would be a spectacular movie!

At the end of the war they were all ordered to be destroyed which they were. The few that survived were hidden in barns etc until well after the war. I was emailing a chap in Slovenia a year or so ago when I was building my Radio Control Polikarpov I-152 as I have the plans and spruce here already cut to build a 1/4 scale PO2. A guy at his aero club had just restored one and had recently flown. I have a video of it here. The Shuttleworth Museum has one which I believe was partly restored in NZ at Omaka.

There is another one for sale on Barnstormers for $75000USD and has been on there for a long time. To buy that and get it out here would be $100000 I would imagine. I reckon I could build one for a lot less than that! As I stated before, the Shvetsov M-11 radial engine would be the hard / expensive bit. You dont have a spare one laying in your hanger....lol!

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Nev...with your experience, what could other options be for a 5 cylinder radial 100-150hp? I know about the Kinner but is there any others you know of?

Scotty

Can't think of a five cylinder that big. It looks to have parallel vertical valves which is a bit ordinary. I would be inclined to TRY for one. first (with spares). I DO like the plane, though. Having ailerons on both mainplanes is good. You might pick up a Warner Super Scarab, 165 HP. ex wacket or fairchild. Some don't like THAT engine but put together carefully and don't hydraulic them and they are OK. There should be a few around (maybe).

I'd like to put a Wright J-5 whirlwind in it. It's a period engine and a great design..Nev

Some interesting Radials there Nev. I recall seeing 3 Kinners for sale a few years back on Barnstormer in various stages of disrepair. Would have been enough to make one good one. Im in no rush as Im doing the Pietenpol but always like to keep an eye out. I could always use one of those Radials from OZ that we shall not mention but I like the 5 cylinder.

Scotty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEro1gVbOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W_cDUtwS7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65fROStzoJw

• 2 years later...

Dear Babbleboy

My name is Alexander Shurov. I represent aircraft engineering and technical group from Novosibirsk Aircraft Manufacture.

At the moment our group is working as freelance group for produce of the aircraft PO-2 by authentic technology of 1937 years.

Also we have finished setting up manufacture equipment for produce landing gear and engine mount for PO-2, please see our products and any assembly steps: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9IvHMtYi_BhRUlIaG9kbDZtQTg&usp=sharing

So if you have any interest to reconstruction of PO-2 please don’t hesitate to contact us.

BR

+7-913-714-4883

W

Dear BabbleboyMy name is Alexander Shurov. I represent aircraft engineering and technical group from Novosibirsk Aircraft Manufacture.

At the moment our group is working as freelance group for produce of the aircraft PO-2 by authentic technology of 1937 years.

Also we have finished setting up manufacture equipment for produce landing gear and engine mount for PO-2, please see our products and any assembly steps: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9IvHMtYi_BhRUlIaG9kbDZtQTg&usp=sharing

So if you have any interest to reconstruction of PO-2 please don’t hesitate to contact us.

BR

+7-913-714-4883

Wow, gotta love the internet, nice looking bipe, have you seen the biplane forum BB ,could be a good resource,

Matty