Purchase GA or RAA A/C??

av8vfr

Hi Peeps,

I joined the site relatively recently as I was interested in the Super Petrel (SP) as a purchase. I dreamed of flying over to Tangalooma (or Whitsundays) and snorkeling around the wrecks on a summer arvo before returning to YCAB or YCDR etc. I flew over to YWCK and met with Peter (HEON) and we went on a test flight earlier this year. He recommended this forum so I joined. While I was impressed with the SP on whole, I saw a few things that didn't impress me. And insurance was another topic altogether.....

So, I now have a problem deciding on a purchase...

I have a PPL and RAA licence. I have time on multiple Cessnas and Pipers and prefer flying low wing. This week I had a test flight in a SportStar @ YRED which was surreal with the visibility, also nice and solid in the flight. I was more comfortable in this than a J170. A price list including options would have a SportStar around $160K. A Texan from the website is $135K (more for options?) so not a big difference. If money was no object I would have signed on the spot for the SportStar..

So I compare this to a 25YO Cessna or Piper for ~$70-90K (currently) which carries 4 pax but at 35L burn..

Now, my issue is:

Get a RAA 2 seat NEW 2000 engine Hr A/C @ 18l/hr with all the mod cons for $160K or...

Get a VH 4 seat 30YO ~1000Hr engine Hr A/C @ 35l/hr for $70K + ($40K? avionics mods) = $110K???

Add to this I may want to put the A/C on-line.

New A/C has warranty, old has airframe/engine risk..

I fly mostly C172 two up so the 2x rear is rarely used, however if the family is keen then I am 4 up. This is so rare I could just hire a VH for the rare occasions this happens.

Also, the Rotax burns Mogas at a cheaper $/Ltr at reduced maintenance....

Basically too much maths... 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

Advice appreciated....

Matt

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Matt,

That's not as easy as it sounds. Money no object go GA. It all depends on disposable income. Most mere mortals fly RAA because ti IS affordable! If you fall in this bracket go RAA. If however money is no issue - relatively speaking - go GA. At Gympie where I'm based the GA fellows struggle to get hours due to cost - we in RAA don't - Suppose one's a glamour boy on the ground and the other is the " pauper " flying. I'd say go RAA and fly often!!! That's my 5 cents worth

fly safe

Walter

Thanks Walter...

If RAA is the way, how do I justify a $160K SportStar when the J230 is waaay cheaper. I understand the reliability Vs $$ debate but I can get 2 new Jab donks in the J230 for a similar price....

And I want a low wing.... not fair...

@Jake happy to have a 2 seat and x hire a GA for the 4 seats. Not sure that the performance RAA (>110kts cruise) are way more $$ than an old GA 4 seater is the way to go......

Hey Matt, firstly: 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

I would say buy a new RA and rent a VH when you want more than one other person on board.

I know you're not thrilled with the J170, but I'm a big fan of the J230. Ample room in the back and excellent access for luggage, etc. 120kt cruise. You could order all the bells an whistles and still have cash to spare (to put into more flying!)

Edit: the other posts came in as I was typing this (slow typer!) Sorry!

I'd say go RAA and fly often!!! That's my 5 cents worth

Exactly, Walter!:thumb_up:

@evan: there is no ill towards the Jab... just not what I prefer (low wing) but yes I am hard to justify the difference.... After all the $$$ are better in my pocket :)

I have flown a Texan and found it extremely impressive and if I had to choose one aircraft (the list of actual aircraft I have flown is small) it would be this... the Sportstar seems the same theme/performance but in metal and the new one is certainly very pretty in my opinion (I have heard people call them ugly I don't agree). I reckon of course you could potentially get more aircraft for your buck by looking at the Morgan Aeroworks line... I haven't heard any negative comments about them. And again the same theme as the Texan/Sportstar i.e. Low wing...110+knots cruise.

@winsor: I have heard that about the Morgan...not sure if they do 24 rego???? (factory built) and if so $$$$????? Someone told me they were based on the KR2 which has stability issues with W&B???

I haven't gone down the Texan path as it is similar price but a CF airframe which the website has a lower G rating than the SportStar..

The SportStar with all Ally airfame feels solid on the fly (1.0Hr) but I have to do a lot more flights to be convinced...

For the price of a new Sportstar you could have a fleet of 3 low wing GA 2 seaters. Mine has a canopy with fantastic visibility, a Lycoming up the front, NVFR and aerobatic. You could buy one like that, upgrade it to IFR, overhaul the engine, do your instrument rating and aerobatics training and still have change.

@evan: there is no ill towards the Jab... just not what I prefer (low wing) but yes I am hard to justify the difference.... After all the $$$ are better in my pocket :)

...........and the all metal Aussie made Brumby...

Hi all,

The Lightwing Speed seems to be the most GA-ish aust built aircraft around. There has been one for sale in the mag now fof many months (a year?) with an impressive list of features. They aren't often mentioned in discussions lilke this one. Are they unpopular for any particular reason?

Chris

Hi Matt

my hangar has a V nice Tecnam Sierra in it which a belive is for Sale, has only about 200 hours and is in as new condition, and no, I don't own it.

Great little machine if you are also wishing to cross hire it! or have it used for training!

The Lightwing Speed seems to be the most GA-ish aust built aircraft around. ......... They aren't often mentioned in discussions lilke this one. Are they unpopular for any particular reason?

Quite true... I certainly wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Could they be in the need of some new marketing or something?

I think a couple of people around these forums own them. Maybe they could chime in with some thoughts?

Check out the Morgan (see my avatar) This is the fully certified Sierra 200 with six cyclinder Jab engine. Cruise 135 knots, factory built.

They also have the four seat Cougar. The sierra is also available with a four cylinder engine Jabiru or Rotax.

Check the Morgan Aeroworks site but MORE IMPORTANTLY telephone Gary Morgan and go to Taree and fly one. We flew from Adelaide do just that and now

own the one on my avatar. Alan Marriette.

Yeah, the Morgan Sierra is a neat aircraft too for the money. Definitely one of my dream toys.

Got some video of one of them too... here's a take off and landing we did when I went for a test run at Monto.