Two Stroke Endorsement??

I think that most of the information could be done verbally with some factual backup. (written). Wally Rudin (if he is still doing it). Rod Birrell has lots of experience with 2-strokes. (Penfield. Vic). Of course there will be others, but maybe not so many. Perhaps others on the forum may contribute to a list of people they know, and can recommend. I can't see the need to do a lot of air time. Starting technique, priming etc (good warm-up at suitable revs) and what to expect from the EGT indications with various power settings.(in-flight). Pre-flight inspection, correct prop for plane/engine combo. Clean fresh fuel with oil at correct ratio. (unless fitted with pump.) Filtered to tank. How to repair Mikuni pump. Airtight fuel connections. Fuel pump and battery care. Plug heat range effects. Exhaust mount and springs check. Setting up throttle cables, idle settings. balance.. cleaning/draining fuel bowl(s). Effects of lean mixtures/detonation.seizing piston crown holing, checking compression, reading plugs heat range, gearbox oil level. Coolant used. Fan belt tension/condition. This won't be a comprehensive list, as it's only off the top of my head, but some may add to it. Nev

Not much scope for debate on the content (of course an instructor may provide more than the defined standard) of the 2S endorsement nor how to do it - all specified very clearly in the Ops Manual.

Of course, if it is indeed required in order to fly a 2S plane solo then David's idea to do it in the single seater won't work.

I have no idea how I'll get this one done, may have to speak to some club members about borrowing their A/C at my expense for an hour or two. I dunno how they'll feel about it though, it would be dual training so it'd be just like lending the A/C to an instructor.

-Andrew

One should become truly familiar with whichever a/c you choose to fly. I don't wish to be controversial (you all know me!) but I do wonder, when there are people who swear by Jabiru engines whether some problems could be caused by "turn the key and blast off" types. I flew a VW powered a/c for 11 years and had virtually no problems. I always treat an engine with respect and care. A good instructor (and almost all are) will ensure this. No endorsement for 4 strokes and yet they can involve as much care as 2's. Don

Guest davidh10
...Some instructors won't fly with them... So like you say... Two Stroke instructors are getting rare.

Less schools have two stroke aircraft as the newer plastic fantastics seem to be dominating new registrations. Schools have to move with the market pressure too. CFIs who haven't been in the game since two strokes were much more prevalent as new registrations, may never have contemplated them.

Of course in order to train and recommend a student for an endorsement, the CFI has to have that endorsement, so there are probably plenty of CFIs who have never flown or gained endorsement on 2S.

A new pilot qualified for his Pilot Certificate in his own Edge X (2Stroke) at Yarrawonga Flight Training last week. The school continues to teach in "your own 2S", but has ceased to own any, simply due to diminishing demand. In that particular case, the student started training in a 912 (4 stroke), but then decided to purchase the Edge X and continued training in his own aircraft. Now he's enjoying flying off his hours toward a PAX endo.

I know that neither school location nor aircraft type suit your circumstances, Andrew, but it seems a typical scenario to illustrate.

When the 2S endorsement first appeared in RAAus I was bemused to see that I didn't automatically get it, but then realised they can't just dish it out to everyone willy nilly. As I'd been taught to fly on 2-stroke trikes and subsequently flown over 200 hours in them I contacted the Op's Manager to see what he required to correct the matter and it was all sorted fairly quickly.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest Crezzi

RAAus don't have a copy of everyones logbooks so it simply wouldn't have been possible for them to automatically issue the new endorsements to appropriately experienced pilots. You just need to use the endorsement recognition form and copies of suitable pages from your logbook to support your claim for 2S, LP, TW based on experience before the endorsements existed.

Cheers

John

Hi Everyone,Just a question that came across my mind when looking at an aeroplane for sale. Why is there a need for a two stroke endorsement? Looking over the syllabus it just looks like things that can be learned in a classroom and most of the items apply to four strokes as well.

The aircraft I'm looking at is a single seater which requires LP and 2S to fly. I only have LP. There aren't any aircraft with 2S engines for hire in WA so it could be incredibly hard to obtain the endorsement. The only option is to fly someone else's aeroplane and not a lot of people are happy for that to happen.

-Andrew

Hi Neil,

Serpentine is one of the options available however they require a $140 membership fee to be paid before ANY training is commenced. Ed operates out of a number of other fields though such as Narrogin and Geraldton, this may be an option!

Thanks for letting me know!!

-Andrew

I don't think you can train on an aircraft that isn't either owned by you or is suitable , and registered as a school training aircraft. Can't see how you would just be able to borrow one. Nev

Should be. Check though. Up to the instructor/school. Instructors operate under a CFI at a FTF.. As I said earlier, I can't see why you would HAVE to do a lot of airtime. It might be a good idea to do plenty of engine failure exercises, though if you haven't done them for a while. (Par for the Course) but if you have already done the LP and T/W, you only have to know how to operate the engine. I wouldn't knock back a bit of extra dual in these planes with a good instructor, though. A good investment probably. Nev