savannah

samuell

I've been reading though the post on savannahs.I've had the slated savannah and now have the xl .My opinion is the savannah is what it is , if you want a better looking plane or faster plane buy a different model.Both mine have been fantastic for low and slow flying, even the 85 knots is better than driving.So don't like it, look at another options is my advice, can't beat it for hard country to fly in.

Cheers Sam

Yes to me there was quite abit of diferents , the xl seems to me to be alot more slippery though the air .No were as dragy as the slats , the xl handles wind gust alot better, in the old one it was quite scary when you got a sudden gust.The xl cruise is a bit better , not alot.Thats why i think if you want a fast plane look else were ,they are great for what they are designed for.The best thing with the xl was more leg room , im 6f 1inch so the leg room was great compared to the old one.A bit less vision over the dash in the xl but not to bad.Just great little plane Mark.

Cheers sam

I cant wait until I have mine flying. I flew Bill Grieve's factory built XL and I also flew his older one that Ultralights now owns. The room in the XL is certainly great. I am 6ft 2 inch and had no issues at all fitting in with Bill although he isnt a big guy like me but in his old one it was a bit squeazy

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
I cant wait until I have mine flying. I flew Bill Grieve's factory built XL and I also flew his older one that Ultralights now owns. The room in the XL is certainly great. I am 6ft 2 inch and had no issues at all fitting in with Bill although he isnt a big guy like me but in his old one it was a bit squeazyMark

It all depends where your height is , how well tall people fit. We fitted a 6' 9" bloke in the XL at the display at the last Bundaberg airshow, he had just as much headroom as I have at 6' 3", he had a shortage of legroom still though. He wouldn't have been able to stretch out over the pedals on long trips as I like to be able to do. I couldn't do it with dual toe brakes though, so that would be one disadvantage of those.

I cant wait until I have mine flying. I flew Bill Grieve's factory built XL and I also flew his older one that Ultralights now owns. The room in the XL is certainly great. I am 6ft 2 inch and had no issues at all fitting in with Bill although he isnt a big guy like me but in his old one it was a bit squeazyMark

Try as much as I can, there seems to be little information available which properly compares the older VG with the XL (or S) Savannahs. There is talk about greater cruising speed, more leg room, etc. but what about the flight envelope/characteristics? What were your impressions, Mark?

Hi 80K

I have not done a lot of flying in the XL version yet I have only had 1 flight with Bill and it was awesome. There is much more room inside compared to his last one which is the one Ultralights has now. It was a bit squeezey for me I had been up twice in that one. This XL is far more comfortable. I am 6ft 3 inch and 124kg and it was quite comfortable probably around the same room as the C172 I used to fly. I will be flying Bills a lot shortly when he gets back from the Oskosh trip so can tell you more about the "spec"...but I know it sits easily at 90knots indicated at bet 5000 and 5200 rpm Bill has the bigger 72 inch bolly prop on now. The take off performance is pretty amazing with that prop too. I did a touch and go and a landing and both were without flap I came in over the fence at 50 knots and I am sure I touched down at around 30knots so the specs seem pretty close . I will know more obviously when I have more time in his aircraft then of course in mine when it gets up and flying.

Mark