Morgan Sierra 200 News

Guernsey

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on our Morgan Sierra in SA.

The aircraft is continuing to perform well, Jake Jansen has tuned the Trio Avionics Auto Pilot so it is working well although we have not yet been on a long trip to try it out. My Son Martin has now been trained on the Sierra and is now a full three axis pilot, ( He only had his Trike Certificate up until this week). You may also remember from a previous post that the Flaps and Trim control buttons were mounted on the armrest between the pilot and passenger which was not ideal, however, Jake has now fitted a new control stick ( I still like to call it a 'Joy Stick' as it a joy to use) which has four buttons or switches which activate the Flaps, Trim, Radio and Auto Pilot disengage. The control stick is similar to the system used in the Foxbat and is produced by rayallencompany.com and is very easy to use.

Whilst flying at Gawler is most enjoyable, taxiing up to the Club House can be very dangerous as the Sierra 200 is constantly mobbed by hordes of people wishing to have a look at this beautiful machine.:clap2: We now have two Morgans based at Gawler with another being built locally, Wowee:score 010:

Alan, Kevin and Martin.

• Like 2

Got any photos you'd like to include as well Alan? That joy stick set up sounds awesome, and very practical.

Having flown the Sierra 200, the Blue one, when at Monto I'm a very impressed wanna be owner of one of these aircraft.

Are the flap buttons isolated or live all the time? ie is it possible to accidently wind flaps down in flight just by leaning on buttons on stick?

Im thinking of doing the same

Personally I prefer the flap switch on the control panel as you can't accidentally turn it on. To be honest I prefer the good old handbrake style of the PA28. It's manual but very positive & can't be accidentally activated, except on the ground if you think it is actually a handbrake.

My Jabiru has old handbrake setup near your left ear, does work well however is prone to "uncommanded release" frightening the hell out of the pilot - me!

Im thinking an isolation switch on the panel so buttons on stick dont work unless this switch is turned on. It would be form part of the pre takeoff and landing checks.

Are the flap buttons isolated or live all the time? ie is it possible to accidently wind flaps down in flight just by leaning on buttons on stick?Im thinking of doing the same

Yes, live & no - you have to hold the switch down (momentary switch) to lower flap. If it bothers a customer I usually have a large warning light ('in your face') that is on whenever the flaps are other than retracted, that is a simple way however there are more complicated (read expensive) ways inadvertent deployment.

Jake J

Personally I prefer the flap switch on the control panel as you can't accidentally turn it on. To be honest I prefer the good old handbrake style of the PA28. It's manual but very positive & can't be accidentally activated, except on the ground if you think it is actually a handbrake.

I'm with you there Kevin however it is nice to control the flaps with your right hand still on the stick and your left hand on the throttle bearing in mind that the switches are ABOVE your hand grip so it would be hard to accidentally activate them. Alan Marriette.

Are the flap buttons isolated or live all the time? ie is it possible to accidently wind flaps down in flight just by leaning on buttons on stick?Im thinking of doing the same

Your hand is out in front of you and located below the switches so you would not be able to lean on them. Alan.

Got any photos you'd like to include as well Alan? That joy stick set up sounds awesome, and very practical.Having flown the Sierra 200, the Blue one, when at Monto I'm a very impressed wanna be owner of one of these aircraft.

Hi Tomo you can see the stick Model G307 on the website (see above) but I will take a photo of our actual set up hopefully tomorrow and post it here.

• Like 1

Further to the above the new stick is a joy to use when doing 'Touch and go's" because you have full stick control whilst retracting flaps with your thumb and applying power with your left hand on the throttle you then move your thumb over to the trim to adjust in the climb. I'm like some of you guys, I'm from the 'old school' and sometimes don't like change however, this is a vast improvement.

Alan Marriette.

Nice looking handle. Do you get to shoot anyone down with it? 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Absolutely.....when we are flying circuits we are MUCH FASTER than most other aircraft so we have to ged rid of them somehow:roflmao:

Alan Marriette.

Got any photos you'd like to include as well Alan? That joy stick set up sounds awesome, and very practical.Having flown the Sierra 200, the Blue one, when at Monto I'm a very impressed wanna be owner of one of these aircraft.

Sorry Tomo coudn't get to the airfield today so will take some photos as soon as I can.

Alan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys kev here thought i better put up some photos for you,have now been flying with new control stick and its just a joy to use,one hand on control stick also adjusting trim,flaps and radio leaving other hand free for throttle or scratching my nose.

P1000416.JPG.8dbcaba1230f29b9bb249ec6dbcf7cbb.JPG

P1000414.JPG.c067a41a75866c13aa46651ac753335e.JPG

P1000415.JPG.699ac2c58dad37e5fe381794094c5ff5.JPG

• Like 2