My first real PAX

Well, after around a year (very on and off) of procrastination, I finally took up my first 'real' passenger - my wife. I've had a PAX endorsement for 2 weeks now here in Oz, and I've been PAX endorsed for 12 months in the UK, but had still been perfecting my approach to our small farm strip over a tree, and had wanted to get that right before taking anyone up.

Anyway - The Oaks are very different, and as it turned out, conditions were perfect - bright sunshine, some scattered small cumulus at 3500, cool and completely stable air, a front over the ocean that held off, and a friendly and relaxed bunch at the airfield to help put her in the right frame of mind. I had debated going for a practice first, but felt confident, so I briefed her, particularly about how squirrelly an ultralight can feel on takeoff, and off we went.

The take-off was uneventful, but as I expected, she did get nervous with the acceleration and climb-out of takeoff. Once we were up at 2,000 in smooth air, and she could get a look at Lake Burragorang and surrounding tiger country, she was happier. We headed north to Penrith past the Warragamba Dam, and up to the start of the Blue Mountains, and finally, she understood What It's All About :-) We loitered for a bit and took some photos and video, then headed back.

Landing, again, was a doddle and one of my better ones, and we exited the runway almost adjacent to the parking spot. She has talked to some of the other pilot's wives, and it turns out I'm pretty lucky to get such a positive reaction from her; some have taken years to fly with their partners, or only few once :-) . Mind you, I didn't push the stick forward and scream, or pull a 60' bank, or fly into turbulence on her first flight, so I'm probably ahead there :-)

She's now telling all her friends about how great it was, if a little scary, and I have a few more victims enthusiasts wanting to come up. And - hopefully - she didn't dislike it enough for me to seriously look into getting a syndicate share for some 2-up touring....

D

• Like 3

Awesome! One reason I enjoying flying is taking others and showing them the great views. Finding the best conditions and waiting for the 'right' time is so worth it for those who are a bit intimidated by the whole first thought of flying.

Well done :thumb_up:

Thanks guys. I think I need to get my X-country out of the way and take her to see some sights that are only possible from 3,000ft... maybe a dawn over the bush, a bit of whale-watching... any suggestions for the Sydney area?

• Like 1