Citabria Needed

Floatplane

Try Camden. Curtiss Aviation has a couple of Citabrias and Airborne Aviation has one also. You'll get better access to the Airborne one as Curtis use theirs for ab initio training, and Airborne mainly use their Cessnas. All these aircraft are in good nick. We service Airborne's.

Old Man Emu

Hi Mal,

Thanks mate, I've just sent off email asking for info. I've shipped from the US and Canada before, suspect procedures same. It's the new CofA that concerns me though, because getting an export CofA doesn't always resemble the true condition until checked here.

Any ideas?

Rgs

FP

There's one for sale in NZ. $NZ75,000, so take 20% off that. Only 60 hours since rebuild. Would have to ship it (bit too far to ferry), and import duty would probably applywww.trademe.co.nz/motors/aircraft/aircraft/auction-407446919.htm

Mal.

FP,

One advantage of a NZ based plane, is that it's easy/cheap to go and inspect it. Could combine it with a mountain flying course!

Mal

Hi Mal,Thanks mate, I've just sent off email asking for info. I've shipped from the US and Canada before, suspect procedures same. It's the new CofA that concerns me though, because getting an export CofA doesn't always resemble the true condition until checked here.

Any ideas?

Rgs

FP

An Export CofA has nought to do with the condition of an aeroplane. In any case, not required for a Citabria being imported.

And, another thing, the Citabria has a limit of 5 g so definitely limited aerobatics. Approved for snap rolls however thats well known to cause structural problems. The Decathlon is a lot beefier with an engine that can run inverted. Not too many fixed pitch Decathlons around although there are 4 at Moorabbin (2 for sale). The 7KCAB is a Citabria from the mid-70s with inverted systems - forerunner of the 8KCAB Decathlon - some in Australia.

100_2155s.jpg.495fc044e7d5b0e4a21a9ae3655af519.jpg

• Like 1

Think there is a recommended max speed for "flick" or Snap" rolls. The problem is fuel tank fuel surge loads and there is an AD on the front seat.

Make sure that any plane from the USA has been removed from the register there, and you have a record of it.

Check the U/C mount bolts regularly on a rough strip.. I personally found the CS prop on the Decathlon a nuisance as it surged on the one I flew, and I don't view them as a serious inverted performer so question the need for a motor with the inverted oil system. ( depends on your needs).

The ailerons are "frieze"design and out of spin aileron is not a good idea for spin entry. (as long as you know).

I don't think they are for ham fisted pilots. stressed only slightly above a "utility" plane. and if the drome has debris around check the exposed trim wires around the tailplane regularly.

These are just a few thing that come to mind. Having said that I was probably as attached to mine as any plane I have been associated with. Nev

• Like 1

Thanks DJP

I totally agree about export CofA, been there done that before. I really don't mind which a/c as it's for a school and have known operator for over 20 years so not too worried. If I can get the Decathlon same price then I'm easy.

Regards

FP

An Export CofA has nought to do with the condition of an aeroplane. In any case, not required for a Citabria being imported.And, another thing, the Citabria has a limit of 5 g so definitely limited aerobatics. Approved for snap rolls however thats well known to cause structural problems. The Decathlon is a lot beefier with an engine that can run inverted. Not too many fixed pitch Decathlons around although there are 4 at Moorabbin (2 for sale). The 7KCAB is a Citabria from the mid-70s with inverted systems - forerunner of the 8KCAB Decathlon - some in Australia.

Many thanks Nev

That's some great info,

The machine I'm seeking is mainly for tailwheel endo's with the odd limited aero. The school really hasn't aero end's in mind 'but' could be available however. Why front seat AD re fuel?

Rgs

FP

Think there is a recommended max speed for "flick" or Snap" rolls. The problem is fuel tank fuel surge loads and there is an AD on the front seat.Make sure that any plane from the USA has been removed from the register there, and you have a record of it.

Check the U/C mount bolts regularly on a rough strip.. I personally found the CS prop on the Decathlon a nuisance as it surged on the one I flew, and I don't view them as a serious inverted performer so question the need for a motor with the inverted oil system. ( depends on your needs).

The ailerons are "frieze"design and out of spin aileron is not a good idea for spin entry. (as long as you know).

I don't think they are for ham fisted pilots. stressed only slightly above a "utility" plane. and if the drome has debris around check the exposed trim wires around the tailplane regularly.

These are just a few thing that come to mind. Having said that I was probably as attached to mine as any plane I have been associated with. Nev

And:

• All the aeroplanes in Aus would have the front seat AD done long ago - to strengthen it. There was an FAA Safety Bulletin last year about a similar problem with the rear seat - instructor hit the rudder to recover from a spin and the seat back gave way.

• Fuel tank loads in aerobatics, especially in snaps - a big job to remove a tank for repair. Few owners will let people snap them.

• Surging CS prop - sounds like a problem with the inverted oil ball valve?

My opinion is that the Citabria (well, we havent discussed the variants at all yet have we) is better for ab initio - as OME stated, Curtis uses them for that purpose. One guy doing his GFPT on my Decathlon at the moment but he had some helicopter time so as long as he doesn't try to hover it he is pretty sensible.

The four 150 hp fixed pitch Decathlons at Moorabbin work at tailwheel, aerobatic and upset recoveries. Another one at Latrobe Valley doing similar work. Pretty good for that in my opinion:

• the Decathlon does not have frize ailerons so a dose of adverse yaw in turns - in other manoeuvres adverse yaw is not necessarily adverse

• aerofil section is almost symmetrical

• with the inverted system there is no oil loss during aerobatics and no periods of zero oil pressure - downside is that the recommended TBO is reduced from 2000 to 1600 hrs just because the inverted oil system is fitted as it is assumed that the engine is worked hard.

• inverted systems allows simple sequences and inverted flying comfortably (is that the right use of the word) including inverted spins.

• the Decathlon (even with the same engine) has much better performance at flying aerobatics than any Citabria - lighter ailerons, higher roll rate, engine runs continuously.

Everything else being equal you'll pay more for a Decathlon it seems.

• Like 1

If I were in the market for a Citabria or Decathlon I'd definitely go with a Decathlon. I've got a little bit of time in Citabria's and flown a Decathlon twice (once with DJP in his). Fly them one after another and you won't need any more convincing.

If DJP is selling his I can testify it is a very tidy aircraft in fine condition and flew very nicely... having said that we didn't go upside down.

JIR.thumb.jpg.4fd39a0e8fa21b2e99f2282b46f04d99.jpg

Hi and many thanks for your thread. Unfortunately it's not my choice, it's the school who will be operating it "but" if DJP was for sale and similar (no CSU) then I would definitely have my say. I've asked the question, it's not for sale least at my price anyway but thanks for the heads up, very much appreciated.

Rgs

FP

If I were in the market for a Citabria or Decathlon I'd definitely go with a Decathlon. I've got a little bit of time in Citabria's and flown a Decathlon twice (once with DJP in his). Fly them one after another and you won't need any more convincing.If DJP is selling his I can testify it is a very tidy aircraft in fine condition and flew very nicely... having said that we didn't go upside down.

[ATTACH=full]15154[/ATTACH]

Have fun with that FP, its been a while since I've been seen with a floatplane but I'm always happy to talk aerobatics and aerobatic aeroplanes.

Seems to me that prices of Decathlons and Citabrias have just gone up with the announcement of the exemption to fly without a CASA medical.

Perhaps facthunter will even get a 7ECA again.

floats.jpg.68f082a2bc9f14d8c8854fc17e06c47d.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...