What was it ?

IanR

I was busily mowing our lawns under the circuit area of The Oaks yesterday. There was an unusual aircraft flying over - a biplane. From the ground it looked sort of like an amphibian. Any of The Oaks flyers care to fill me in ? Went for a drive down to the field later on but it was no longer there. ...Ian

Guest Fred Bear

Ian,

This gent lives somewhere out the back of The Oaks too.He has a private strip but too short to fly out if it two up so he drops his mate at The Oaks strip then flies in to pick him up.They flew out for a flight onto the Hawkesbury.Lovely machine too!That pic I took was just as it landed to pick up his pax.

Looks interesting !! Wonder how quickly it gets airborne on water. Must be a bit of a worry landing in choppy water.

On another subject I noticed in one of the hangers a Tiger Moth and an Auster - do they ever fly ? They look somewhat dusty.

Guest Fred Bear

Airborne in what looked like 100m or so.

On another subject I noticed in one of the hangers a Tiger Moth and an Auster - do they ever fly ? They look somewhat dusty.

Nobody seems to know whos they are Ian. I would like to know too.One of the regos is VH-ABC.

I was talking yesterday to 83 year old Sam in Tumut who has some great Tiger Moth stories. I really loved the story about arriving after last light and people from town came to the airfield in time to shine some headlights and give an idea of where the runway was.

Aviation is so easy now.

Yes - I liked the VH-ABC rego - would be worth a bit if they are tradeable !! - the Auster was VH-BTE - both seem to be registered in the same family altrhough different individuals. Seems a shame to have them sitting there gathering dust - plenty of space for one in my shed !!

Guest brentc

GA rego's are very much tradeable. I know of a Robinson 44 owner that paid $5k for his current rego which is indicative of his company initials. I have one on the go at the moment for my aircraft. I'm trying to organise it but the guy is hard to get to as he lives on an island which is proving difficult. He offered to give it to me if I pay for the signage change on his aircraft.