BD-5

Nev25

Publicity maybe

Yeah!!! Check out the website painted on the side of the BD5 cockpit...no pun intended!Bruce

Yeah Thats what leads me to think it may be a publicity thing

Might send a message on myspace ;)

If its for real well good on her

A truely amazing aircraft with a rich history.

Built before it's time and having had a few attempted revivals, it remains a seriously attractive aircraft and generating totally polarized views about it's existance all over the world.

Available initially powered by a range of two stroke motors, it then had a small jet engine fitted, and lately a turbo-prop set up.

Not capable of being registered as an ultralight (stall speed too fast) it needs to be built and flown by experienced aviators.

You will be able to speed DAYS reading the internet about info on the BD-5.

I have most of two kits!, some day I shall start to build........

Arthur.

Protoype BD-5 (fibreglass with a V tail) first flew around September 1971! powered by a Hirth two stroke.

When the all metal kits became available around 1973, they were to be powered by Zenoah three cylinder two strokes (this is where it all went bad)

The jet powered version, the BD-5J, first flew in 1975.

Arthur.

• 4 weeks later...

I had one that I put togeteher as a parade display, with the 'A' wings shortened to 2/3 for street use. It was in corroded condition when i got the unbuilt kit, 35 sold in NZ by AESL as agents. about 3,500 kits sold worldwide for about 300 that flew and 60 fatals. The last bit is also a good reason to just admire the neat design, IMHO. I have all the newsletters with the kit explaining why parts were not available etc. and most people never got the engine, undercarriage and spars. They were not billed for those items, though, but completion to the plans with the 70 hp zenoah? 3 cyl 2 stroke was near impossible. There is one here thats fitted with a Honda civic 1300 engine turboed to 105 hp, fuselage has to be stretched 2" and 50 lbs ballast added in the nose for this install. One of the turboprop conversions a few yrs back was a fatal. The one here that has a 2 stroke has flown twice, crashed twice, 20 yrs apart, at Ardmore. There was another around here with a Honda city turbo motor proposed as powerplant, would be quite good 110hp and lightweight. I expect the Rotax 914 would go OK or a 13B rotary? If you really need to go out in style, the BD10 may be the ultimate

Ralph

Yeah Thats what leads me to think it may be a publicity thingMight send a message on myspace ;)

If its for real well good on her

Yep, it is real. I know Tori, and she's a mad keen pilot like most of us. The BD lives in Terry Snow's (very nice) hangar at Canberra airport...not flown yet though, still under construction.

AS the BD-5 will not fit in to any ultralight catagory, I have planned some modifications for the remains of the two kits I have.

Basically after having flown some of these small R/C delta's, I figured to upscale to an ultalight.

This brings the wing loading down and will lower the stall speed.

The project is a way off and will probably end up with a pusher prop, or maybe a ducted fan.

Arthur.

ABD5D.jpg.db8a1956761b80487f522038aeb56506.jpg