Oil injection plumbing

sandman

I have had oil injection on my drifter for about 18 months or so now but wasn't happy with the plumping out in free air. As time went on the plumbing started to sag a little causing me a little concern. I have seen a mates where the oil hose runs behind the rv bottle and then around but is alittle hard to see as he has the big plastic air filter on and is a little hard to see in the shed with minimal light. Can anyone send a photo of their installation or something. Cheers.

I have had oil injection on my drifter for about 18 months or so now but wasn't happy with the plumping out in free air. As time went on the plumbing started to sag a little causing me a little concern. I have seen a mates where the oil hose runs behind the rv bottle and then around but is alittle hard to see as he has the big plastic air filter on and is a little hard to see in the shed with minimal light. Can anyone send a photo of their installation or something. Cheers.[/quoteIt appears everyone must be pre-mixing.

IMO there is a lot to be said in favour of pre-mixing 2 stroke fuel as opposed to the convenience (??) of just topping up the oil injection reservoir. Lack of clean fresh fuel and incorrect spark are the two major items that cause our machines to quit the air. We therefore traditionally carefully measure and filter fuels (+ pre-mix the exact lubrication?) prior to going aloft. To rely on an additional mechanical hook-up (with the suspect areas you have mentioned) as an extra link in the breakable chain has to be a questionable saving of something. Being old, lazy, grumpy and of low IQ, I subscribe to the KISS principle. Personally, I'd be rigging down the injection system thereby making my machine just that little more problem proof. The greatest win obviously is all the weight saving by eliminating the plumbing - that Drifter would fairly scream. My thoughts only. cheers Riley

• 3 weeks later...

OK same as mine! I will take a photo and post but that may not be until after the week end... I just changed mine as it had a 'dip' that was not appropriate for a gravity feed...(LAME agreed) I don't think behind the RV bottle is an option for that reason as well, you really want it on the shortest, straightest, downhill route (as much as possible) I understand.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sandman, Sorry forgot to get the pic I promised but here is a 'before' photo of mine... the red line is where it is now routed, required shortening the hose some and the line sits on the outside of the throttle cable.

standalone?temp_hash=4371c94cf909ea2aa0b0736cbd3ca9dd