Some enhancements to the site

Admin

Hi All, I couldn't help myself...I have added some enhancements to the site for everyone.

Search

You can now use the Search Box in the main menu to search the forums, or just search within a forum, or you can now search within an actual thread.

There is also an extra button on the bottom right corner of the search drop down that contains some automated useful searches for you.

Thread Prefixes

The thread prefixes that we use to have here on Recreational Flying are now back. When creating a new thread you can select from 5 different colourful prefixes that will be displayed before your thread title in the list of threads of a forum

Ignore Users

You can now "Ignore" the users that you do not want to be pestered by, their posts, Conversations etc. Just go to your settings by clicking on your username on the right of the main menu and click "People You Ignore"

Performance

Forum icons are now using images what are called "Sprites"

Notification Emails

The emails that you receive when a thread that you are watching or when you receive a conversation, now contain the entire post and are in html for better viewing and knowing what has actually been posted in a thread you may have contributed in

Auto Media Embedding:

Many people know how to insert a YouTube video or a Vimeo video into their post (simply click the Movie Tape icon on the toolbar when composing your post). However, some still find this to be tricky so they simply post a link. This method requires the reader to follow the link to another site, opening yet another window or tab, and it all gets a bit confusing.

Now, just simply insert a link to the video in your post and the software will do the rest, even stripping out the unneeded portion of the URL. It will take care of all the embedding for you automatically. The site includes support for many different media sites, not just YouTube. But if you happen to stumble upon a site where the site is unable to automatically embed the link, notify me and I can add the site to the software embed engine.

Alerts:

Alerts were introduced when we moved to the new forum software. However, some of us forget to notice the red alert in the upper right hand part of the screen. This is especially important when we get a private message. So another feature has now been included to help make it more visible when you get a private conversation (message). Now you will get a little pop-up in the lower left hand corner of the screen as well, notifying you of an alert.

Extra Profile Fields

Currently posts display a user's location and aircraft as the software was locked in only being able to provide for 2 fields. We can now add extra fields to this list like Airfield etc, I will be adding these extra fields in due course

Hope you enjoy the enhancements and note, there are so many large enhancements and resources that will now start arriving here at Recreational Flying for all registered users to benefit from

Hi Pud

It is still the first option in the Forums sub menu on the main menu however I am doing a little bit of maintenance at the moment like reverting back to the lighter colours, the darker ones look depressing, so I will have a look at that missing link as well for you

• Like 1

Pud, you will find now that if you are on the forums home page and you click the "Mark Forums Read" link on the Main Menu, the popup notice will ask you to confirm marking ALL forums read.

If you are in a specific forum and you click the "Mark Forums Read", then the popup message will give you the option of confirming whether you want to mark ALL forums read OR just the forum that you are in

Pud, you will find now that if you are on the forums home page and you click the "Mark Forums Read" link on the Main Menu, the popup notice will ask you to confirm marking ALL forums read.If you are in a specific forum and you click the "Mark Forums Read", then the popup message will give you the option of confirming whether you want to mark ALL forums read OR just the forum that you are in

OK thanks Ian, that will do what I want then.

Pud

Hi Ian,

I have had some issues with Firefox... when I click the link to some threads (Logan Reserve and CS prop on 4cyl for example) the browser returns to the forum home page. When I hover over the link I can see the correct link. Latest Firefox.

I did a work around by pasting into IE9 and threads viewed ok on it.

Not a biggy but thought I would advise.

Matt

Hi Ian,

When I view the whats new (24h) and click the thread title. It has happened on new threads and ones I have visited before. Ususally it takes me to the first unread (as can be seen in the link)

Cheers

hmmm...I can't fault it using FF v7.0.1 but that doesn't mean it isn't happening for you...is anyone else experiencing this issue?

If hovering over the link displays a correct link then that is taken directly from the link so clicking on it should take you to exactly what the hover is saying, it doesn't know any different. If there is an issue with the link then an error page would be displayed...let's see if anyone else has experienced this issue

No worries, yep FF7.0.1 ... Happens when I centre click (in new tab) or left click, but only on certain threads. I also tried a copy link into browser... Next I will clear the cache and have a go...

I was just talking to the host and everything is now fixed...it may well have been related to the hosting issue...please let me know if it resurfaces