CT goes LSA on VH register

Admin

Thanks Ian for posting those pictures of CTD. It was my intention to do so however I have not quite figured out how at this point :big_grin:

The container arrived at Fremantle from Hamburg at 1730 Monday 8th May and was delivered to Jandakot at 0930 Thursday 11th. As the container was still sealed, AQUIS (quarantine) had to be present, however everything was in order and my wife and I unloaded our CTSW ourselves without any difficulty. (hardest part was finding boltcutters big enough to cut the seal!)

I must say that the way the aircraft was packed and secured in a 20 ft container is a credit to Flight Design as nothing had moved so was in great condition on arrival.

Now came the hard part...as Leo (from Sports Aircraft Australia) was not arriving to supervise the re-assembly until late the following Tuesday night, the days went by very slowly, however on Wednesday 17th May things began to happen very quickly and by Friday 19th the aircraft had been reassembled, gone over very carefully by the CASA LSA team and by 1500 we were doing our first test flight, having been issued with our LSA CofA and registration.

The CASA team led by delegate Alan Jupp were extremely thorough and as an owner I appreciated this as it ensured that I was taking delivery of an aircraft in tip-top condition. Credit must also go to Basil Lenzo of Cloud Dancer W.A. (agent for FD in WA) as without his coordination of the various authorities, the whole process would have taken a lot longer.

We are absolutely delighted with the aircraft. As many of you would have noted from the pictures, we went for the large tyres and heavy duty undercarriage. Flight Design have improved the wheel fairings on the larger wheels, making them look much more in proportion than on previous models.

I was expecting some drop off in performance due to the larger wheels however at 5000 ft at 565 kg (just 35 kg below MTOW) and with full course pitch on the Neuform 3 blader at 5000 rpm we were getting a TAS of 122 kts. I had a Dynon fuel flow sensor fitted by the factory and it was showing about 20 Lph on the EMS.....this may improve as the Rotax loosens up a bit.

The Dynon EFIS & EMS is a delight. An external digital compass comes standard with the D100 however I added an OAT probe, thus giving a OAT/TAS & Density Alt readout on the PFD. I also have the Dynon AOA pitot which brings up an angle of attack indicator on the lower left of the PFD underneath the ASI tape. (pic will follow when I figure out how to post!)

Our CT is fitted with the Bendix/King Skymap IIIc and I am sure most of you are familiar this this great piece of equipment.

Apologies for the long ramble......will keep them short from now on.

Dave

Paul

Basic empty weight as per the factory W&B chart is 319.1 kg (extra weight mostly due to the bigger wheels and heavy duty landing gear). i.e. Tundra wheels & fairings = 6.5 kg Heavy duty landing gear = 3.5 kg.

The Neuform 3 blade variable pitch prop. weighs 5 kg.

Regards

Dave

Here is a pic of the panel prior to the wings being attached....as you willsee on the EFIS there is an " EDC not detected" as well as " OAT not found"message as the remote digital compass and OAT probe are located in the left wing, so was at this point not connected.

AOA scale is on the lower left below the speed tape.

20060601_221227_Panel01.thumb.jpg.ae1599b441d9def03c9ac9b8e6864d90.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Dave, It's been a while. Sure would like to hear more about your adventures with the CT.

Roger

- Roger, unfortunately Dave has had to go inland for a few weeks but should be back soon - just receives a new aircraft and has to go inland by car - poor guy 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Roger....we are back again and hopefully we will get some decent weather again so as to get some time in on the CT so will certainly let you know how it's going.

I understand that you have ordered a CT.....would be interested in what options you have chosen.

Regards

Dave

Roger,

If you have specified the Becker Mode S transponder, it is a good idea to have the 'address module' programmed by the Becker factory prior to shipping to Flight Design. If you have a CASA (VH) registration, you will have been assigneda Mode S transponder code which is then applied to the module. Even if you don't have VH rego, the module will store all other details relating to your aircraft such as owner, aircraft performance etc.

Unfortunately Iwas too late as the equipment had been shipped, so I now have to buy the program & cable from Becker (about 100 Euro I think).

Dave

• 9 months later...

LSA - CASA CoA Instrument holder

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliement Dave.

Noticed I was mentioned in dispatches below and I would like to correct one minor error. I operate an independant aviation consulting business (PlaneTorque Australia Pty Ltd) and I am not a "Delegate" of CASA but an "Authorised Person". I hold various CASA Instruments with a focus on CoA issue.

Claims to fame various and the details can be viewed on my web site www.ptaaus.com.au Thanks. :clown: