Moving to .com

Admin

Hi All

For years I have wanted this site to just simply have the .com domain extension i.e. Recreational Flying .com however the owner of the .com, a Canadian person, was never willing to sell it to me.

Recently I was able to purchase the .com domain name version of Recreational Flying and have now registered the name for 10 years at an all up cost of around $1,800

Having .net or .org was not always going to be the ideal domain name extension as I was trying to achieve one main domain and have all the geographic domain name extensions like .com.au (Australia), .co.nz (New Zealand), .us (United States), .co.uk (United Kingdom) etc ALL pointing to one master .com domain. This is what I have wanted to do for years and now it is finally achievable.

I believe that having the pure Australian .com.au domain extension does steer a lot of potential users of the resources here away unless they are specifically here in Australia. But flying an aircraft is basically the same all around the world, and wouldn't it be great if more users could exchange more helpful information with a broader source of aviators, all with the same common interest.

I said some time ago that moving to the .com domain was coming and that it would be an initial slight inconvenience to some but please be assured that this is the final major inconvenience that everyone will have with the site because the .com domain is what I always wanted and it is registered for 10 years. This means that this is the last time any domain move will happen.

Once done, we can all settle down to Recreational Flying .Com and I can start adding the extra functionality and features that I am sure you will enjoy.

This afternoon, Friday 4th November (Melb Aust time), the site will be closed to creating posts for about 2hrs, you can still read the threads and posts though, while I move the database and files across to .com. I will then point the .com.au domain to .com so you won't notice much difference once that is done however it is best to update your links, favourites etc to .com as soon as possible after that.

I am waiting for a new chat room licence to arrive from the chat room software people before the chat room will become operational on .com

I am truly sorry if this causes you any inconvenience but I believe it will be done the best and quickest way possible and then we will be on .com to stay...thanks

Incidentally, the new Recreational Flying News and Media section has already been developed on .com and works great for those that want to keep up with what is happening in the news on everything to do with aviation. Whether you are a pilot or an enthusiasts, there will be something for you. The News Reader, where you don't have to leave the site by links to read the news, has been redeveloped, aviation podcasts are there as well so you can listen to them in a popup whilst you browse the rest of the site, aviation news in the last 24hrs is there and there is more coming to this new integrated section.

I am currently working on the new home page for the site that you can use as your own Internet Home Page and once on .com I can integrate the new Blog System so you can have your own blogs and Aircraft Builders can have their own Builders Log/Blog as well.

There is much more then just these couple of things coming to Recreational Flying .com including some, what I think, are very exciting and unique features not seen on the internet for you to use making Recreational Flying the greatest resource for all recreational aviators

We are now on .com so can you please update any link that you may use to come to Recreational Flying with the .com extension instead of the .com.au, however .com.au still works but to help minimise any issues that you may have in the future, .com is the main domain extension of the site now.

If any user is having and issues at all, please feel free to give me a ring on 03 9444-8025 and we can sort it out for you.

This is the start of the site, this powerful resource, to start getting going with some great things for all registered users...thanks for your understanding.

You do realise that every time you rename the site all the URLs that point to it get broken. Seems a bit unnecessary.

No they don't as I do it in a way that preserves all external links.

Can you give me an example?

If you were linking to this thread both of these following links, first to .com and 2nd to .com.au, will both show this thread:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/moving-to-com.29101/#post-185022

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/moving-to-com.29101/#post-185022

That would never have worked, and that link looks as though you have made it up, as this thread has never been on .net...linking to any thread on this site using .net would not have worked for at least 8 months and even then, the threads were in the folder "forums" and if you had, and still do, go to a thread that was on .net/forums you would still come here.

is there any reason why you cant make it available under all the tld?

Yes, there is a very specific reason why I don't use a single tld (please leave it at that)