Headsets, Pilot Avionics or Flightcom

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Pilot Avionics PA12.8 headset. Seems a decent buy for a first headset, $250 and comes with a headset bag. Looking to get my own headset and tossing up between this one and also the Flightcom 4DLX ($220).

The PA12.8 seems to have the advantage in that it has a 5 year warranty, the bag of course, plus the phone/music interface thing (May come in handy someday)

Also where is the best and cheapest place to buy headsets online?

Opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

http://www.clearprop.com.au/headset-units/The RecFlying one for $125 is probably the cheapest headset around.

I can vouch for the Rec Flying headsets, I have 2 and they work a treat in an open cockpit Thruster where they plug into this http://www.clearprop.com.au/pilot-avionics-pa200t-with-cell-phone-interface.html

Cheers,

Pud

Hi,Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Pilot Avionics PA12.8 headset. Seems a decent buy for a first headset, $250 and comes with a headset bag. Looking to get my own headset and tossing up between this one and also the Flightcom 4DLX ($220).

The PA12.8 seems to have the advantage in that it has a 5 year warranty, the bag of course, plus the phone/music interface thing (May come in handy someday)

Also where is the best and cheapest place to buy headsets online?

Opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Very expensive when Clear Prop has those exact headsets for:

Pilot Avionics PA12.8 - $220

Flightcom 4DLX - $199

and as the others have said the Recreational Flying Headset not only has better specs including gold plated plugs, 2db better passive noise reduction but they are far far cheaper...in fact they are better then the David Clark H10 13.4 at $400...you can read an independent review that was done: http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/recreational-flying-250-headset.8995/

In all the headsets that I have had, I have never used the headset bag that came with my headset as I always used my flight bag for them so to me why pay for something that I wasn't going to used but if you want one, they start at only $19.95

Thanks Ian, forgot to check the shop on here actually. Is it just me being completely blind or are the two headsets I mentioned not on Clear Prop? I can't seem to find the 4DLX or PA12.8... I must be doing something wrong here...

Those specific ones are not listed as there are thousands and thousands of products in Clear Prop and unfortunately I can't spare trhe time to list every single product and variances of that product, remember the shop is just a support mechanism to help pay the costs of the site, however both brands are listed to indicate that we have that brand i.e. Pilot Avionics and Flightcom

Anything that isn't listed just give me a ring on 03 9444-8025...I can get just about anything that you need and if not I can advise how I would go about getting it cheaper as there is the odd thing that I just can't get cheaper. I can also advise how some things can be done to save you money. For example mounting an Avmap EKP, instead of buying a $200 mounting kit, which Clear Prop sells, I can tell you how you can do it for free.

Another thing to try for example if you want to use your mobile phone with your headset. You could try using the ear piece/mic that comes with your mobile phone. Place the ear piece in your ear and the mic part inside your headset ear cup. You hear the caller with the ear piece and as you hear your own voice through the headset mic, in your headset earcup, the phone mic picks up your voice from that. Worth a try first before buying a headset with phone interface if you are just wanting a phone connection because this method is free and may suit some people instead of wasting their money...but hey, if they still want to spend money then Clear Prop is there and by supporting Clear Prop you are supporting this site.

Loyalty to Recreational Flying does have its rewards...I will always try and help where I can as here we are ALL recreational aviators 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Just a word about cheap headsets in general ... often, the cords are the weakest link. A quality cord has many very fine wires which give the cord the ability to withstand constant flexing. Cheap headset cords invariably use fewer, thicker wires which cant take as much flexing and so they go intermittent much sooner. Another consideration is the mic quality. Cheaper mics have inferior noise cancelling and greater susceptibility to RF feedback. Also, some of those "gold plated" plugs are made of metal so thin they bend or snap quite regularly. There is no comparison between those plugs and the good quality plugs used on say David Clark headsets. I have no commercial interest (retired) but I wouldn't mind a dollar for every headset I repaired over 42 years. John.

John

I am sure you would agree that there is also a difference between "Cheap in Price, Cheap in Quality" and "Cheap in Price, but Good Quality"...the problem is knowing the difference which in many instances can only come from duration of use. For example Chinese made headsets are most often cheap in price and also cheap in quality. We also know that some things that are made with a brand name on them thus expensive then the exact same unit with a somewhat anon brand name...I think it all comes from the durability of an item over a period of time which proves the quality making the cheap price irrelevant. I know that the Recreational Flying Headsets which have been around for many years were initially checked by an avionics technician and found to be high quality which is why we accepted them as a product to have the Recreational Flying name on them

Thanks for that input Admin. I'll keep the Recreational Flying headsets in mind when my project gets closer to completion. I should also have mentioned that the cheaper quality headsets may serve the weekend aviator well whereas they would be not be a wise choice for the professional pilot. John.