Engine failure near Bathurst

bushpilot

One question, I have always been curious: did the stopped prop alter the flight dynamics a lot more than a simulated engine outage?

when our 2200cc jabiru engine blew up , the prop didnt stop it just continued to turn which was a real problem as the engine was vibrating so much it went through my mind the airframe may fall apart , this also caused another problem any release of pressure on the stick , the nose of the aircraft just shot straight up which was another concern thinking we could stall , while training we did heaps of engine failure simulations putting the engine to idle , one time in a circuit the engine stopped and the prop didnt turn but pushing the starter button started it right up ,

the real life engine blow up was nothing like training

• 2 weeks later...
a prop spinning at idle speed will produce less thrust than the glide speed, so actually creates drag.

I have it on good authority that if the prop is stopped there is more drag than if the engine is idling. This means that simulating an engine failure with the motor idling may not be as realistic as we thought. Perhaps we should expect a steeper glide angle (i.e. we won't get as far as we thought) with a stationary prop.