Helicopter Crash

pudestcon

All i can i say before the accident report comes out is, it looks like the pilot got caught in the "willi willi" just at the critical stage of the rotors getting to flying speed resulting in the blade flap, which caused the machine to simply roll over due to the forces involved.

The pilot is apparently not seriously hurt, bruising ect, so good news there, not so for the machine a total rebuild job for the summer it looks like.

Not on takeoff but I did get away from 50 ft once after a "beat up"in an ES Boomerang. I had planned to turn the speed into height, do a 600 ft circuit and land. As I pulled up to climb, I noticed the airspeed and climb rate were not dropping off like they normally do. I threw a turn or two (at a safe height) and the next thing I knew I was back at 2000 ft. Great thermal! That was back in 1976 but it's one of those things you never forget. John.

All i can i say before the accident report comes out is, it looks like the pilot got caught in the "willi willi" just at the critical stage of the rotors getting to flying speed resulting in the blade flap, which caused the machine to simply roll over due to the forces involved.The pilot is apparently not seriously hurt, bruising ect, so good news there, not so for the machine a total rebuild job for the summer it looks like.

Yeah Bones, we have it on pretty good authority (his partner) that, apart from some panel-beating on his elbow (skin grafts) and some bog in the hole in his thigh where the throttle speared him, the pilot will be kicking on by Xmas (albeit, not in the Dominator). She reckoned the rescue chopper was followed immediately 'line astern' by two news choppers sniffing for a story. Despite the fact that the pilot was walking around prior to departure for the hospital, it still made the news that he was suffering spinal damage. Very pleasing to see that no-one on this forum climbed unto the speculation/theories wagon which so often happens.