iPad wifi for air navigation?

Bluey

Have to agree with the last few posts. The benefit of all in one on the iPad 3G makes the other ad hoc work arounds seem pointless.

Once you add the costs of the external GPS and the complexities of hot spotting phones, having to worry about two or three sets of batteries running out etc it is a no brainier. Get a 3G wifi iPad. I have been using oz runways since it first came out and the internal gps update rate is way plenty fast for aviation in anything slower than an F18!

Someone said they didnt get a 3g card to save cost but The cost of the 3G card is only about $13 a month if you get a prepaid for 12 months. If you then want to use the weather radar feature in flight, get weather reports put in flight plans etc you can (if you have coverage and there really are far more places covered than not these days. I have flown all over the country and you'd be surprised how much of the country has coverage once you get up at altitude.

But download all your maps etc on oz runways at home via wifi so you don't have to download any on the fly.

I have done the work arounds and attempts to save a few bucks and believe me once you just do it right once you will wonder why you ever bothered.

Yep, charts and ERSA are the legal requirement. I have one of Ian's 5" GPS's running Ozzie with the ASA charts loaded as my backup and it's very handy because it mounts on the panel straight in front of me. I don't plan on it but it always gives me a quick check against the ground and the chart... especially useful to avoid unplanned entry into CTA.kaz

Do you also use Ian's 5" GPS for the car? What is the road nav like?

Do you also use Ian's 5" GPS for the car? What is the road nav like?

Yes, I do use it in the car but only occasionally as I most always know where I'm going. It seems really good, it nags me about my speed and warns me of any fixed speed and traffick camera locations enroute. At the price, it is an absolute bargain, in my view.

kaz