Speeding up website?

Is there anyway to turn off the pictures on the web page? I have trouble loading any page on Recflying. The computor I have was an option in the ark and is very slow. It take 4 to 5 minutes to load a page and I'm just about to not worry about visiting because its so slow. When I click on a thread the little CT's fly along and the birds flap and that's all that happens for ages, it becomes a 20 minute job just to have a look at a couple of threads.

Disabling images and ActiveX controls will help heaps.

If you are using Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options.

Click on the Security tab, and where it says "Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls" set it to enabled. For the other ActiveX stuff, set them to prompt.

Now go to the Advanced tab. Under the Multimedia section, uncheck "Show Pictures". That should get you more reading less bleeding.

Ross

Student Pilot - let Ross help on this one to see what can be done for you BUT often a remedy could be a total reinstall of your PC. I redo mine every 6 months and even I am surprised with the speed I get back - our PC's start getting clogged up with so many things as we use them especially when browsing the Internet.

So my suggestion is:

1. See if Ross can pin point the problem (eg clean out cache, temp files etc)

2. Check the hardware specs to see if it is low end (Ross ???)

3. Check the Internet connection speed (Ross ???)

4. If a reinstall is the answer and if you don't know how to do this then let me know and I will fly up to you and do it for you.

You provide great posts here, helping others and I hope there have been times that these forums have helped you so let's see what we can do for you.

Guest Fred Bear

Are you on dialup? If so, it's painful and will be eventually phased out all together as the format/content of web sites/forums etc gets more graphic or 'rich'. I would say do away with the dialup and upgrade to ADSL, Satellite or the best cable.You will never look back. You can test your internet speed here and let us know the results:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/broadband/speedtest.htm

Guest brentc

I use dial-up to access the site and personally I find it quite fast and have never had a problem. I access all posts and pictures with no issues. The problem might be PC related. Then again, I am in a capital city which might make it faster.

Guest Fred Bear

It might and then depending on whether or not you are on a pair gains system where the copper line is split up between users. The link I posted above should give a true speed. If the ISP states 56K dialup this is rarely the true speed.

Thanks fella's, when I get more time I'll give those things a try. Been a bit busy lately, that's why I didn't get to Narromine.

I don't seem to have trouble on other sites, it's this one that's slow. To post the reply took 35 seconds for the reply page to come up. I did try the speed, it was 414 Kbps which should be resonable.