Helicopter crash at Mangalore kills two

Guest pookemon

Guest davidh10

I believe:-

• The gyro slammed in upside down.

• It was witnessed by another student who was to be next up.

Regrettably the instructor is someone known to these forums, but I won't mention the name , as the authorities have not yet released names. I felt that I knew the person through discussions in these forums and was looking forward to meeting face to face, one day.

My thoughts go out to the families.

My greatest sympathy to all concerned.

There was a gyro accident here on my strip and the pilot didn`t survive..... I know how it feels to have to deal with the result of a fatal accident.

Frank.

Unfortunately the instructor was a close friend of mine and he leaves behind his wife with three young children under the ages of nine. Investigation is taking place but at this stage we don't know what was the cause of the accident.

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

The names are in this updated Herald Sun article, along with a photo of the wreckage.

According to the article, one witness and a policeman have suggested that strong gusty winds may have been a contributing factor.

Around the time quoted (12:30), winds in the Mangalore area were recorded as 18G24 knots on the ground by the BOM. It was 15G24 around the time they took off, so it would appear that fairly similar conditions existed for the whole flight. That said, sometimes conditions can be quite local and we all know that the wind on the ground isn't an indication of wind at circuit height and above.

I was in the air during most of this period and can say that between Yarrawonga and Beechworth, the winds were quite changable. Initally 25kn from SSW and smooth, it reduced to around 8kn and became quite bumpy as the morning progressed. Wind direction was also significantly changeable with altitude. With southerly winds it is not unusual to see stronger winds at Mangalore and Shepparton than at Yarrawonga.

According to this news story, Investigators from "AusAir" attended and are investigating. I couldn't find an organisation (by Googling) by that name that deals with Gyro accidents?? So what organisation investigates Gyro accidents. ASRA indicates that "ATSB May investigate fatal accidents", but also that wreckage and the crash scene belong to the state police, until released.

It's possible for Dust devils or mini cyclones to form. I've been caught twice and it would be easy to have one of such severity that control would be impossible even allowing for the autogyro's ability to handle winds that would keep other planes on the ground. Nev

Guest davidh10

I have observed a lot of dust devils recently. One day, only a few weeks back there was a line of them almost the length of the runway. They are generally small, though, so you have flown through one in less than a second or two, unless they descended steeply into one. I've flown through the edge of one on late final. Certainly grabs your attention.

Actually the winds here have been foul for nearly a week. ok in the early morning, but rapidly increasing to a gusty 30 to 35 kn by midday and not settling much till after last light. Saturday was my first flying day for over a week and a half.

According to this news story, Investigators from "AusAir" attended and are investigating. I couldn't find an organisation (by Googling) by that name that deals with Gyro accidents?? So what organisation investigates Gyro accidents. ASRA indicates that "ATSB May investigate fatal accidents", but also that wreckage and the crash scene belong to the state police, until released.

Yes ASRA are investigating the crash, the OP's manager and ex OP's manager got on a plane this morning to go and investigate.

I (very)seriously doubt this has anything to do with the wind or turbulence, Sam had enough hrs(and in a type of machine that can handle it) to handle any of that.

Guest Maj Millard

Well I would agree with that Bones, do you have any theories on what may have happened then...training accident ?......................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Investigators from "AusAir" attended and are investigating.

I would imagine that the journalist was writing notes from an interview and the person said "asra" as a word and they heard "AusAir".

Sincere condolences to all affected by this sad event.

I flew through a dust devil at Parafield one summer many years ago. The poor old Tomahawk ended wings vertical at 200 feet after takeoff. Needless to say it scared me and the guys in the tower. I may be a woos these days but I never fly when it's hot and gusty as I don't want to break my Jab let alone my neck.

• Like 3

Hi Guys , I have just returned from the family home and we know that pilot error has been ruled out , the weather doesn't seem to be a issue , but there is evidence to support mechanical failure which at this point we'll just wait for ASRA to release their report.

The family would like to thank you all for your thoughts and condolences.

Frank

Hi Guys , I have just returned from the family home and we know that pilot error has been ruled out , the weather doesn't seem to be a issue , but there is evidence to support mechanical failure which at this point we'll just wait for ASRA to release their report.The family would like to thank you all for your thoughts and condolences.

Frank

Hi Frankie,

Sorry to hear about the loss of Sam.

I know you were quite close to him, although I only met Sam a few times I found him a passionate and friendly person.

Please send my condolences to his wife and family and also to you.

Also condolences must be said to the students family.

Take care and be strong and I will catch up with you soon.

Regards

Alf