Registration times for new aircraft

Kyle Communications

I would like to ask anyone on the forum here how long it took them to get their registration back from RAUS. After the inspection of the aircraft has been done and it has all been signed off by the inspector and you send all the correctly filled out paperwork how long has it taken. I am told its two weeks minimum. I think that is pretty poor really all that needs to be done is the details entered into their database and print a registration card...probably 30 mins work I would think then get it back in a express post bag considering the cost they charge to register the aircraft.

Am I wrong on what they have to do or is it just a ho hum will get to it when we have a chance....can anyone shed some light on this please

It only takes a couple of days if you are polite on the phone. I usually ring up have a chat then email the documents away and asked for them to be emailed back. A couple of days normally. They are normally busy down there under staffed. Just be patient Mark it'll happen ( good things come to those who wait). My first two planes needed to be registered around Natfly now that's a bugger everyone's out having fun.

It's a shame you just get a set of number in OZ.

Here where I live just now (NZ) you apply for a set of letters. All planes, from an ultralight to a Boeing 747 are on the same combined register. There are sub-registers for "microlights" (as all planes under 544 kg are known here), gyros, powered gliders, non-powered gliders, helicopters, free balloons, airships, amateur built planes over 544 kg and the rest (say, Piper PA-18 to Airbus A380).

Specifically, there are only seven ICP Savannahs in New Zealand (compare this with 17 Zenith 701 and four Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat planes, Savannahs nearest competitors).

Some of the Savannah registrations in NZ are:

ZK-SAV (someone got in quick to get this one)

ZK-SAH (second-best option, I suppose)

ZK-WTR (perhaps this Savvy is on floats?)

the other four have registrations unrelated to Savannahs and resemble the initials of the owners' names.

By the way, Zenith CH701 registrations include ZK-STL, ZK-ZCH and ZK-ESY