static

g day all, my aircraft is a thruster 85 my problem is static in the radio headset. The radio is a hand held vertex standard vxa 150 I have a new headset rugged air RA 950 its got the works the radio uses its own battery power the antenna is seperated from the unit and is set up on the boom near the rudder the RADIO has a ANL ( engine noise limiter) Which is on but to no affect .The aircraft engine is a 503 rotax with two year old new powermate regulator WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET RID OF THE STATIC WHICH IS SO OVERPOWERING THAT I JUST TURN OFF THE RADIO. THANKS FELLAS FOR ANY HELP

Is it connected through an intercom kermit? I find in my T500 there is a lot of interference when connected through the intercom. When I'm on my own I connect it direct and have no problem.

Silly me, a T85 is a single seat so no intercom eh? Duh.

Pud

Is it connected through an intercom kermit? I find in my T500 there is a lot of interference when connected through the intercom. When I'm on my own I connect it direct and have no problem.Silly me, a T85 is a single seat so no intercom eh? Duh.

Pud

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ANYWAY PUD

oh yes robinsm done all the things you can think of like that .we are of the thought that it is electrical spikes coming from perhaps coils, plug leads , regulator, dont know we are hopeing some one out there has had a similar problem i thank you big time for your thoughts on this regards linal

Hi Kermee... this is from the PTT thread http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/wiring-up-a-new-ptt-switch.33976/page-2#post-207705

Sounds like EMI or RF interference: I would add ferrite rings to everythinghttp://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LF1250&keywords=ferrite suppression&form=KEYWORD

and use a noise filter on the power line

http://www.biasboating.com.au/product_p/4844.htm

• 4 months later...

Do you have resistive spark plugs and shielded plug leads. These may help. You also need a good quality aerial (tuned length to aircraft freq.) Years ago I ran an Icom A20 with a home made com set in a full faced helmet in a Drifter with no problems.

Cheers and good luck,

Bill Woodmason.

g day all, my aircraft is a thruster 85 my problem is static in the radio headset. The radio is a hand held vertex standard vxa 150 I have a new headset rugged air RA 950 its got the works the radio uses its own battery power the antenna is seperated from the unit and is set up on the boom near the rudder the RADIO has a ANL ( engine noise limiter) Which is on but to no affect .The aircraft engine is a 503 rotax with two year old new powermate regulator WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET RID OF THE STATIC WHICH IS SO OVERPOWERING THAT I JUST TURN OFF THE RADIO. THANKS FELLAS FOR ANY HELP

OK. The fact that your ANL is not doing anything it could be your earth to the antenna. I am not sure if you are using a separate antenna or not. Try using you radio separate from your aircraft. Start the aircraft and see if you still get noise. If you do you may have a crack in the board on the earth rail from the built in antenna. I had this problem with my icom and was told about it by icom. It was caused by me removing the radio from my plane all the time. As a tech I found the crack myself and fixed it. If you are using a separate antenna please advise what it is, as I may have other advice.. Remember a good antenna with high quality cable is very important. Use rubbish and you get rubbish....

Also antenna systems need to be tuned if they are not part of the radio itself... Radio problems can be real difficult. I manufacture antenna systems for recreational aviation and have still been stumped at times myself.

Hope this helps

Mardy

Problem fixed thanks to all who replied to my problem . I had a radio teck fella look at it and he found a dry circuit an something else to which he fixed an walla also put clamp shields around the spark plug leads (cant think of there proper name) havin the radio back in operation is sooo nice thank you all regards kermit