New pilot (almost)

Akromaster

Hello all,

Learning to fly at Sunbury VIC and hoping/looking forward to go solo soon! I've been trolling the web since I started my lessons last year for all things light sport but also something to call my own. Only found this site last night unfortunately, but looks like I'll be visiting it much more - looks very active.

My flights so far:

1. Flysythensis Texan - that's what I'm training in

2. 30 min in c150 - this was trial flight from familiy that got me hooked

3. 1.5 hr in foxbat - holiday cruise up at goldcoast. Fun plane.

My wish list:

1. Flysythensis Texan - coz that's what I'm training in and love it

2. SportCruiser - nice looking plane but for the future maybe

3. Sportstar - another nice plane I'd like to check out

4. Kitfox - looks like a nice plane, especially with the r otec radial

5. Foxbat - should be higher up but for price I'd rather 1 or 2

6. Lightwing - been looking at it in comparison to kitfox. Not sure though.

AK

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif AK

That list is going to get longer ..... It is a great time to be learning to fly with so many new types coming on the market. And here is where you will find lots of experience and (just getting started) a set up so you can talk (well, type mainly) with the various vendors or agents for aircraft in real time. Try the chat room about 7:30 - 8pm - there's usually someone there willing to talk, scribble on the whiteboard or pull faces. Or just pose a question - or search the forums. The John Brandon tutorials (under forums) are brilliant for flying knowledge both for new and old hands. Flight planners, aircraft registers, its all here. So, enough from me.....

Welcome, and enjoy the ride

Sue

Welcome Akro!

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

What sort of future flying will you be thinking of? Cruising, local, camping away, smooth runway, bit rougher handling, shorter field characteristics etc... you can pretty much name your conditions these days and get an aircraft to fit the spot. Such a huuuge range!

Enjoy the journey. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Thanks for the advice Sue...will have to check out chat rooms.

@Tomo...mostly cruising I would think. Long term plan is to tour around Australia with the wife and we're not real campers so whether that means smoother runways or short fields I'm not sure. Right now, I'm still evaluating, but my only initial preference is that it needs to be at least 80kts cruise :). Because I'm learning in the Texan, I'm also biasing towards a low wing, but initial plane may be high wing like a kitfox so not to break the bank.

Ak

• Like 1

Hello all,Learning to fly at Sunbury VIC and hoping/looking forward to go solo soon! I've been trolling the web since I started my lessons last year for all things light sport but also something to call my own. Only found this site last night unfortunately, but looks like I'll be visiting it much more - looks very active.

AK

Hi AK,

I also learnt at Penfield in the Texan, but got my Low Performance endo and now have half shares in a Gazelle, hangared at Penfield.

Happy to take you up for a flight in the Gazelle if that is also something you may consider, but it's probably a bit early to be deciding on planes yet, although window shopping is a lot of fun!

Who are you learning with? Terry or Rod?

Hope to catch up,

Cheers

Neil

@djpacro...can u still get an Akromaster?? I have an Akromaster but it's an RC model...she's my precious painted in Roulette colours, although she's gathering dust at the moment while I'm off doing some real flying ;).

@Neil...I'm learning with Rod and yes I might take up your offer in the Gazelle at some stage. Yeah, i know it's all window shopping at the moment. In any case all purchases must be approved by the CFO...if u know what I mean, and that's probably not going to happen for some time.

Ak

Oh I'd love to get aerobatics endorsement eventually. Rod, my instructor, used to teach aerobatics and we sometimes talk about it, but it's so far down the track at the moment. I've not contemplated going commercial, but once I get x-country and a few hours under my belt, aerobatics is definitely another of my long term goals. Can you get aerobatics endorsement as RAA pilot or do you need to convert to GA? Depends whether the plane is within 600kg I suppose?

Ak

Can you get aerobatics endorsement as RAA pilot or do you need to convert to GA? Depends whether the plane is within 600kg I suppose?Ak

Unfortunately no, pity really... but that's the way it is.