Feedback requested: Basic Radio Calls cheatsheet

ayavner

Hi there - I have put together a small one-pager for myself, based on the inbound call sheet from the Sydney VPG, but a little easier to quickly scan for information that is specific to my situation. My thought is that I can laminate this and bring it with me as a quick reference, with places to mark active runway, wind, QNH, etc. Over time of course, I won't need it much, but since my short-term memory is shot, I'd feel more comfortable with some backup :-P

Anyone care to give it a quick glance and see what you think? Ie, do you think if you were just starting out and wanted a reference to help you get comfortable with the radio calls that this format is easy to read and would give you what you needed at a quick glance?

Much appreciated!

adam

Bankstown Radio Quick Reference.docx

Bankstown Tower, jabiru 7295, prospect, 1500, inbound, with India

Not familiar with Bankstown or surrounds, but you would add the clearance request you are after... ie "request airways clearance"in your example. Also proactive to state POB in the call. ie. "POB 2"

Not familiar with Bankstown or surrounds, but you would add the clearance request you are after... ie "request airways clearance"in your example. Also proactive to state POB in the call. ie. "POB 2"

POB Not required for VFR flights and you don't ask for clearance "inbound" at a reporting point for Class D.

Hi ya, interested in what you mean here? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

From memory the cheat sheet had listen to ATIS then ready call for take-off - in between you need a taxi clearance to the holding point.

POB Not required for VFR flights and you don't ask for clearance "inbound" at a reporting point for Class D.

My bad I suppose, previously flying in Amberley airspace I just spat out the info they required, then it becomes habit... cheers

From memory the cheat sheet had listen to ATIS then ready call for take-off - in between you need a taxi clearance to the holding point.

OH OK, no he has it in there under OUTBOUND 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

My bad I suppose, previously flying in Amberley airspace I just spat out the info they required, then it becomes habit... cheers

Yep... that's how I know... doing the same thing through YBBN and getting corrected entering YBAF from the south 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

What I think?Initial taxi call?

After landing: say BK Ground first.

i.e. why not copy and paste the calls as per the VPG?

Well, I didn't copy/paste from the VPG because i wanted to narrow it down to just what I need for circuits and training area with minimal parsing. Later on, i can add more situations or do away with it altogether.

All suggestions taken on board (heh), keep em coming!