Our Own Story of the Month

Reading the thread "Story of the Month" regarding the Sports Pilots article got me thinking...

Would there be interest in having a similar feature here in Aircraft Pilots where members contribute stories with recognition of the "Story of the Month being awarded to the best story as judged by ???

What do you think Ian, would it contribute to the forums, and be of value?

Pud

• Like 3

Doesn't look like this suggestion is going to fly. No matter, try this for a small contribution anyway.

The forecast was for light North easterly winds, partly overcast with the chance of some light scattered showers.

So I decided to take a short flight to Bencubbin from Wirraway Farm Airfield one recent Sunday morning. Bencubbin is situated approx 11nm to the SE of Wirraway so I took off into a slight 10kt crosswind from the NE and tracked 118 degrees for Bencubbin. The country in this area is largely flat with all towns in the area clearly visible, largely due to the wheat storage facilities in each town. Bencubbin is no different and was clearly visible through the windshield of Thruster 0331. As I was climbing to height I could see a sizable rain shower off to the Port side, to the NE of Bencubbin. I was keeping an eye on this patch of rain as the wind direction and my track put us on a converging heading, but I thought I’d be ok. About 3nm out from Bencubbin I decided not to risk the situation anymore and turned back for Wirraway, even though the rain patch was still a long way to the NE. On executing the 180 degree turn the windscreen filled with a view of a WALL OF WATER rain event ahead. Can you imagine my heart rate when I first saw this? Very quickly I realised that the rain show was a long way in the distance with my home field well within reach between me and the rain shower, so my heart rate settled down to a fast drum beat!!!. With the knowledge that we had a 10kt NE wind I was confident I’d be alright. So I set a cruise of 55kts for home, still keeping a lookout over my right shoulder at the rain shower to the NE of Bencubbin that was now looking somewhat closer! Then, seemingly out of thin air (well, overcast sky actually) a new rain shower started much closer to me off the Starboard side. This was something I did not want to get closer to, and with the knowledge I now had 3 separate rain events to monitor I set up a long decent into Wirraway airfield at 60 plus knots arriving overhead with plenty of time to set up for a good landing.

In the end there was no unsafe situation, just flying weather conditions I had not experienced before, but I was glad to be on the ground, in the hangar, safely seated and talking about the experience with Cedric and Jean, Poll’s parents, who had called in for a look and a talk. It never rained in the vicinity of the hangar either!

Another experience to put in the memory bank for “Story Time”J

Pud

• Like 1

G'day Pud. Hopefully the following will keep the thread levitating. On Thursday I got a double measure of Angel Flight. I was scheduled to conduct a AF2 flight to transport two ladies from JT back to Narembeen following chemo treatment in Perth hospitals. Sounded quite straight forward. I would be able to feed sheep and catch up on a few fencing jobs before I kicked off for JT mid afternoon. The best laid plans of mice and men....!!

I awoke on Thursday morning, looked outside to see the birds walking. VFR was a dream. The phone started just after 7 am when the pilot tasked with the outgoing flight, and living on the wrong side of the Darling Scarp, called to say that he was socked in and unlikely to move soon. A few phone calls to and from Angel Flight and it boiled down to: "are you doing anything this morning?" Well, nothing that could not be deferred, and I was mindful of all the effort that had gone into getting two chemo appointments into sync on the Thursday before Easter.

Scatter. Obtained a forecast. Yuk. Submitted Flight Notification, grabbed flight bag and headed up to the hangar to pull the 172 out. Dipped the tanks, and whilst there was enough fuel to get to get to JT under normal conditions, headwinds and crap weather called for more. Cracked a 200 litre drum and pumped another 90 minutes of the green fluid in. Airborne from the farm for the five minutes into Narembeen in conditions that with some imagination could be called VFR. Hearteningly I could see a few splodges where the sun was trying to peek theough the clouds in the South West quadrant, from where the weather was coming from. Obligingly the Shire had heaps of gravel, graders and rollers on the main runway doing some long awaited improvments, so it was accept the shorter runway with crosswind, taxi back to the threshold, park and walk back the apron for my two passengers.

Briefed my passengers that whilst I was comfortable to commence the flight to JT, there was no guarantee of arrival there as safety was the ultimate consideration. I also stressed that if they were uncortable at any point they were not to hestitate expressing that concern. In essence: "get going" was the responce. I suppose that I was fortunate that both my passengers had flown with me on previous occassions.

In short it was a comparatively straight forward flight with a bit of weather at either end, with the majority conducted in fair conditions, and by keeping low, thankfully with little turbulence we kept the headwind to sub 10 Kts. A 10-30 am arrival had been scheduled, and we pulled up outside the Royal Aero Club at 10-28. I wanted it recorded that it was one of the few times I have ever been early for anything!! The Earth Angel was waiting, and I reckon these blokes get the tougher end of the deal having to negotiate the freeway with perpetual earthworks and increasingly congested Perth traffic.

A quick cup of complimentary coffee at the Runway Cafe, bless them, pick up fuel and kick off for home. This time the wind was aiding me and at 7500' on top of some broken strato Cu the GPS indicated a 145 Knot groundspeed. If I could organise a 35 Knot tailwind permanently I will give up my dream of one day owning a Mooney!!

Back to shifting the mob of sheep that needed relocating, getting the "meals on wheels" full of oats and not quite feeding all the rest of the sheep before it was time follow the original plan. The run back to JT was slower that the morning trip, even after turning it into a 500 agl excercise. Walking into RACWA again John Douglas chided me that I had not been able to find Narembeen on my first attempt, and had to return to JT for more fuel before I tried again. Gee, I have some great mates!!

Chemo for one of the passengers had taken longer than has anticipated and by the time they arrived at JT last light considerations at Narembeen were coming into play. The transition into aircraft and prop turning was as quick as could be, thwarted by a taxi to the furthermost point of the aerodrome for departure, and whilst at the holding point observed a "great landing, all three of them" event in a Cessna 172, much to the consternation of my passengers.

Once clear of JT I normally climb out OCTA following the steps. This time I requested an airways clearance direct to 7500', something that was quickly and obligingly granted. I have found that the "Angel Flight" prefix to our registration gains exceedingly good treatment, something I, and all Angel Flight pilots really appreciate from Air Services.

Once established at 7500' it was as smooth as, the GPS looked good with a 135 Knot groundspeed and the Wheatbelt below us looked spectacular with the light of the late afternoon sun. Even after flying for 39 years I never cease to be amazed by the sights afforded to us as pilots.

We landed at Narembeen just after the sun had set. It was a quick offload of passengers, but not before reflecting on "that we had achieved everything that had been planned for the day, whilst not strictly adhering to the original plan".

I was able to sneak back to the farm strip with a dead heat for last light. After pushing the old Cessna back into the hangar I felt a great sense of satisfaction that Angel Flight, combined with an aged Cessna had combined to support two ladies in a valiant journey with cancer. As a pilot I know that in future years that when I scan back through my log book I will see that 5 hour 40 minutes entry and have many memories come to mind, and I certainly hope that there many more experiences still to encounter and log.

• Like 7

G'day Pud. Hopefully the following will keep the thread levitating. On Thursday I got a double measure of Angel Flight. I was scheduled to conduct a AF2 flight to transport two ladies from JT back to Narembeen following chemo treatment in Perth hospitals. Sounded quite straight forward. I would be able to feed sheep and catch up on a few fencing jobs before I kicked off for JT mid afternoon. The best laid plans of mice and men....!!I awoke on Thursday morning, looked outside to see the birds walking. VFR was a dream. The phone started just after 7 am when the pilot tasked with the outgoing flight, and living on the wrong side of the Darling Scarp, called to say that he was socked in and unlikely to move soon. A few phone calls to and from Angel Flight and it boiled down to: "are you doing anything this morning?" Well, nothing that could not be deferred, and I was mindful of all the effort that had gone into getting two chemo appointments into sync on the Thursday before Easter.

Scatter. Obtained a forecast. Yuk. Submitted Flight Notification, grabbed flight bag and headed up to the hangar to pull the 172 out. Dipped the tanks, and whilst there was enough fuel to get to get to JT under normal conditions, headwinds and crap weather called for more. Cracked a 200 litre drum and pumped another 90 minutes of the green fluid in. Airborne from the farm for the five minutes into Narembeen in conditions that with some imagination could be called VFR. Hearteningly I could see a few splodges where the sun was trying to peek theough the clouds in the South West quadrant, from where the weather was coming from. Obligingly the Shire had heaps of gravel, graders and rollers on the main runway doing some long awaited improvments, so it was accept the shorter runway with crosswind, taxi back to the threshold, park and walk back the apron for my two passengers.

Briefed my passengers that whilst I was comfortable to commence the flight to JT, there was no guarantee of arrival there as safety was the ultimate consideration. I also stressed that if they were uncortable at any point they were not to hestitate expressing that concern. In essence: "get going" was the responce. I suppose that I was fortunate that both my passengers had flown with me on previous occassions.

In short it was a comparatively straight forward flight with a bit of weather at either end, with the majority conducted in fair conditions, and by keeping low, thankfully with little turbulence we kept the headwind to sub 10 Kts. A 10-30 am arrival had been scheduled, and we pulled up outside the Royal Aero Club at 10-28. I wanted it recorded that it was one of the few times I have ever been early for anything!! The Earth Angel was waiting, and I reckon these blokes get the tougher end of the deal having to negotiate the freeway with perpetual earthworks and increasingly congested Perth traffic.

A quick cup of complimentary coffee at the Runway Cafe, bless them, pick up fuel and kick off for home. This time the wind was aiding me and at 7500' on top of some broken strato Cu the GPS indicated a 145 Knot groundspeed. If I could organise a 35 Knot tailwind permanently I will give up my dream of one day owning a Mooney!!

Back to shifting the mob of sheep that needed relocating, getting the "meals on wheels" full of oats and not quite feeding all the rest of the sheep before it was time follow the original plan. The run back to JT was slower that the morning trip, even after turning it into a 500 agl excercise. Walking into RACWA again John Douglas chided me that I had not been able to find Narembeen on my first attempt, and had to return to JT for more fuel before I tried again. Gee, I have some great mates!!

Chemo for one of the passengers had taken longer than has anticipated and by the time they arrived at JT last light considerations at Narembeen were coming into play. The transition into aircraft and prop turning was as quick as could be, thwarted by a taxi to the furthermost point of the aerodrome for departure, and whilst at the holding point observed a "great landing, all three of them" event in a Cessna 172, much to the consternation of my passengers.

Once clear of JT I normally climb out OCTA following the steps. This time I requested an airways clearance direct to 7500', something that was quickly and obligingly granted. I have found that the "Angel Flight" prefix to our registration gains exceedingly good treatment, something I, and all Angel Flight pilots really appreciate from Air Services.

Once established at 7500' it was as smooth as, the GPS looked good with a 135 Knot groundspeed and the Wheatbelt below us looked spectacular with the light of the late afternoon sun. Even after flying for 39 years I never cease to be amazed by the sights afforded to us as pilots.

We landed at Narembeen just after the sun had set. It was a quick offload of passengers, but not before reflecting on "that we had achieved everything that had been planned for the day, whilst not strictly adhering to the original plan".

I was able to sneak back to the farm strip with a dead heat for last light. After pushing the old Cessna back into the hangar I felt a great sense of satisfaction that Angel Flight, combined with an aged Cessna had combined to support two ladies in a valiant journey with cancer. As a pilot I know that in future years that when I scan back through my log book I will see that 5 hour 40 minutes entry and have many memories come to mind, and I certainly hope that there many more experiences still to encounter and log.

A great story Naremman and well done to you for the Angel Flight work you do.

Thanks for contributing your story here.

Pud