RAAus Ops Manual

Admin

Guest ozzie

I think that it sums up like this. The majority of aircraft now under RAAus control have evolved faster than the RAAus.

I think that it sums up like this. The majority of aircraft now under RAAus control have evolved faster than the RAAus.

In my opinion though, if evolves much further, we will just be a paralell to GA, with just as much cost, regulation and bureaucracy. While I support an individuals right to build and fly whatever they like ( as long as the safety of others is taken care of), I really don't want to foot the bill for their ideals, whether that is helping pay for the regulators to manage their ideal, or complete unnecessary training to educate me for what they want to do. Just a few thoughts.....hope I'm making some sense.

• Like 1

With reluctance in going on record with my opinion, I do believe that ozzie and M61A1 are both 'spot-on' in their above assessments. RAA (AUF) has done a commendable job over the years in gaining us fun flyers access to recreational airspace but I do not believe they have shown the capability to effectively manage the existing requirements let alone attempt to oversee the potential 'defacto' GA that seems to be facing us. Perhaps if and when it does eventuate, we of the 544 kg MTOW class can go back to enjoying our activities without all the razz & pizazz of the '100-grand-plus' ultralight society . Progress, be damned! 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Riley,

Pity you don't go on record; part of the problem is that we often don't when we should. I think you would be surprised how much support is out there.

Do you think the proposed RPL will change much of the migration of the plastic fantastics into RAA; after all they can register them VH now with an RPL or keep their older heavier GA types.

David, I believe the RPL would have to appear attractive to many PPl holders who are either facing class 2 medical pressures or are feeling exposed by the much-higher per hour maintenance cost loading of casual use GA machines as compared to RAA. Don't get me wrong, I applaud the revised status of both the new RAA mtow limits and the RPL (I could well end up with a foot in both camps at some time in the future) but if, as has been suggested, CASA ultimately handballs the administration/regulation of the non-commercial low end of aviation to a management body, be it RAA, SAAA or any other agency, I sincerely hope that it isn't RAA that gets the nod. At our present roll-call of some 10,000 members there are already demonstrated areas where we are not doing an effective job of self-regulation and/or administration. Woe betide us if we take on more responsibilites. It isn't my intent to bag RAA but, with the inevitable spill-over of RPL applicants and 'go faster' carbon fibre grease machines (that they will most likely be operating) potentially added to our current state of capabilities, I anticipate that "the squeaking hinge that gets the oil" won't be a few piddling little rag & tube ultralights. In earlier days I'd be running the risk of getting burned at the stake or at least horse-whipped for saying it publicly but I already sense a 'them & us' mentality amongst the low & slow (dare I say it, older) recreational flying fraternity. I'd be more than happy to eat crow if I'm ultimately proven to be talking crap. Now, down off my soap box. Cheers