Aviation Movie Question

Can anyone advise me on what movie this clip is cut from?

Its a great clip!!!

Side note... can anyone find faults in any of the flying activities/techniques undertaken during the production of this clip! You may have to look very hard!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3hL4seZpJo

Guest Howard Hughes

I'm surprised you haven't seen it Kelvin, but after reading your post in the "what do you do for a living" thread, you probably don't have the time...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Did one of those "Maule departures" out of my cousin's farm down by the Murray many years ago . My Dad was flying it and when we were pointing almost straight up, the back of his seat collapsed backwards. Dad let go of the controls and said, "Your aircraft," as he fell backwards. I'm here to tell you, it got real exciting for a few seconds...

Wonder if Ruthven street would work....

Can't see why not Tomo! Do you know who owns the maule out the airport, we could see if he will hire to us (might leave our intentions out!!!). By the way I might wear a parachute, just in case at the last moment I decide to bail on you!

Did one of those "Maule departures" out of my cousin's farm down by the Murray many years ago . My Dad was flying it and when we were pointing almost straight up, the back of his seat collapsed backwards. Dad let go of the controls and said, "Your aircraft," as he fell backwards. I'm here to tell you, it got real exciting for a few seconds...

WOW, lucky your father had the sense to let go. Has caused a few fatal accidents (and a couple of AD's) over the years!

WOW, lucky your father had the sense to let go. Has caused a few fatal accidents (and a couple of AD's) over the years!

Yep, I'm a lucky man to have had my old Dad as M'Dad. He was 15 when he joined #1 intake of RAAF apprentices, and he had over 20,000 hrs on aircraft ranging from my Cub through Vampires, Twin Pin Pioneers, C130s and on up to the 747 before he retired and came back to flying light singles. He knew a thing or three about aircraft, and how to keep them airborne. To this day, I still sometimes catch myself thinking, "What would Dad have done about this?"

I reckon Facthunter and my Dad would've been mates if they'd ever met.

• Like 2

Can't see why not Tomo! Do you know who owns the maule out the airport, we could see if he will hire to us (might leave our intentions out!!!). By the way I might wear a parachute, just in case at the last moment I decide to bail on you!

No I don't actually, but I'm sure I could find out! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1

Don't do anything silly you young fella's. Plenty of times I was "pressured" to do dramatic departures from airports when I owned the Citabria. I resisted all requests and no doubt disappointed a few who would like to see something exciting. I know of about 4 pilots who have died, or been badly injured from doing spectacular departures in the last 8 years, and plenty more going back further.. Even if you pull it off, you shouldn't encourage others. Nev

• Like 4

Don't do anything silly you young fella's. Plenty of times I was "pressured" to do dramatic departures from airports when I owned the Citabria. I resisted all requests and no doubt disappointed a few who would like to see something exciting. I know of about 4 pilots who have died, or been badly injured from doing spectacular departures in the last 8 years, and plenty more going back further.. Even if you pull it off, you shouldn't encourage others. Nev

I couldn't agree more Nev, and just to clear it up I can not imagine that either Tomo or myself where actually planning on landing a Maule on Ruthven St ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif Even if it would be a spectacular fashion in which to be immortalised by news headlines & obituaries!

I couldn't agree more Nev, and just to clear it up I can not imagine that either Tomo or myself where actually planning on landing a Maule on Ruthven St ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif Even if it would be a spectacular fashion in which to be immortalised by news headlines & obituaries!

Yeah, even if we got away without crashing, the amount of paper work that would come our way would probably kill us anyway!

• 3 months later...
Can anyone advise me on what movie this clip is cut from?Its a great clip!!!

Side note... can anyone find faults in any of the flying activities/techniques undertaken during the production of this clip! You may have to look very hard!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3hL4seZpJo

A great scene! Heard they originally were going to use the helio courier for this scene but the 39ft wing span was a bit much compared to the 30ft 10in of the M5. Not sure if this is true or not but it sounds plausable.

Good old fashioned stuntwork!!!!! None of this computer-generated bull$#%t that's everywhere now. I think it was the movie "2012" that absolutely disposed of all notions of aerodynamics and for me really cemented the end of real flying in movies...