Gympie

I am just about to start flying out of gympie and have to finish my Nav's if you do go direct. Would you climb to height before you start heading to kngaroy or just start heading for kingaroy and climb on the way.

I was making a smart arse comment [my humour] which is relevant on some subjects relevant to the approach of SOME RAAUS pilots and the aircraft that they operate.

I look at "What is New" on the forum and did not realise I was in "student pilot and further learning"

Although I can enjoy toung in cheek comments about some pilots opinions and behaviour I certainly did not mean to join in the "student pilot area" so shasfs64 ignor my comment but after you finish you navs then you might receive a similar comment from the likes of me - all in good fun but flying from A to B is obviously different for different people.

FrankM

I was making a smart **** comment [my humour] which is relevant on some subjects relevant to the approach of SOME RAAUS pilots and the aircraft that they operate.I look at "What is New" on the forum and did not realise I was in "student pilot and further learning"

Although I can enjoy toung in cheek comments about some pilots opinions and behaviour I certainly did not mean to join in the "student pilot area" so shasfs64 ignor my comment but after you finish you navs then you might receive a similar comment from the likes of me - all in good fun but flying from A to B is obviously different for different people.

FrankM

Frank, I did the same as you but didn't post a reply. I thought it was a trick question!044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif

My last post was directed towards what willborne siad. And RKW its sort of a trick question. I asked someone from a school would they go the long way to kingaroy or go direct i was suprised when they siad direct.

As a general rule: if the weather is fine and beaut - climb to a sensible and hemispherically correct altitude, and go direct.

Whether you climb 'on track' - or, climb in an orbit over your departure airfield, depends on how far out on track the 'tiger country' is. eg, when I left Aldinga, SA, recently for Port Lincoln - I climbed through to 8500 in CTA 'over the top' Aldinga - before setting off over the nearby Gulf. No point in tempting fate!

If the weather is not so good, with low ceilings and in places touching the higher mountains - go via the lowest and most open terrain,with the greatest number of alternates, even if it adds 30% to your time.

happy days

Hi shafs

I did one of my nav exercises from Gympie, direct to Kingaroy, and just had heaps of air under the wings. It didnt seem to me (as a rank new pilot) that it was a problem, but I sorta guess that was my inexperience showing through.

Will Gympie be your home base?

Gerry

The issue for me is i did most of my GA training in Melbourne and move over to rec when the costs got ot of control and have allways been told to go around unless i have enough air under my wings.

And yes i am looking at gympie for flying as they have offered the best bang for my buck. also i like the look of the sportstar aircraft.

Guest becky1

Hi Shafs,

Gympie direct to Kingaroy is fine, certainly there are sections of rugged country closer to Gympie than Kingaroy,but well within glide distance of valleys and lower areas that have good opportunities to put down if necessary.

The Wac chart is deceiving as Kingaroy is around 1500 ft above sea level and it appears that the country may be rough on the chart,however it isnt,so the only real area of concern is maybe five miles of mountainous terrain 10 to 15 minutes out of Gympie,which in the worst case scenario is a two and a half mile glide either ahead or return,but there are areas to go to north west of track as well.

There are definately times that you do need to have some faith in your engine other wise we wouldn't fly anywhere,but naturally as stated earlier in previous posts going around long stretches of tiger country is by far the better option,however Gympie to Kingaroy is not one of those flights unless as Poteroo mentioned in a earlier post re weather etc. Also we have the opportunity to go high heading in a westerly direction we have several options 4500',6500' or higher with 8500' being the lower level of E airspace ,plus in a Sportstar there gliding range is excellent if the worst should occur with there generally very reliable Rotax 912 engine.

Trust this has been of some help.

Regards

Jennifer

Guest becky1
Thanks Jennifer for going into detail for me. One more question what the circut direction at gympie

Left hand circuits on all runways at Gympie.

Jen

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "tiger country"? I see the reference alot here, but admittedly hadn't heard it before that. I get the context, but thought I'd ask anyway :)

Tiger country is any place where a forced landing would not have a happy ending. ie large tracts of forest and or mountainous country etc.

gotcha, thanks RKW - figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure if the "tiger" moniker was due to some particular feature that might look stripey from overhead.... well, maybe the seat of your undies if you lose power over it? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

gotcha, thanks RKW - figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure if the "tiger" moniker was due to some particular feature that might look stripey from overhead.... well, maybe the seat of your undies if you lose power over it? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I think that is called a sphincter moment!029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif