BMW R1150

Guest PeterT

Guest PeterT

Hi

A freind of mine is putting a BMW1150 in a Chetah has anyone got experience with these motors?

Gear box ratios and direction of rotation are his curent problems any assistance greatfully recieved

Peter T

BMW Powerplant.

There's a factory produced unit available. Can't give you the website, but if i could find it, anybody could. Horsepower was fairly high ,but it wasn't particularly light or cheap.Think it was available in U.K. Hope this helps N...

I recall reading an article several years back of a trike with a BMW bike engine converted for Aero use. That article included a story of an engine outage due to the battery going flat, so I assume these engines cannot run when the battery goes flat or gets disconnected unlike what I've seen on Rotax 582's where the ignition circuit is independant of battery power.

Has this all been rectified since then?

BMW.Donk.

Would the HKS twin be worth a look? I've done quite a few hours behind one in a skyranger. Needs high octane fuel. It's smooth and light & not too noisy. Just under 60 horsepower..N...

Guest Crezzi
I recall reading an article several years back of a trike with a BMW bike engine converted for Aero use.

There is at least one I know of in the UK - its a Huntwing which is a kit build. Like here, most UK trikes are factory built hence the rules prevent fitting different engines. See http://www.huntwing.co.uk/

Cheers

John

Guest PeterT

Thanks John you must have asked the right Questions, I tried unsuccessfully to locate anything usefull on the web these links are good!

regards Peter

I worked on BMW R1100/1150 engines for years, they are brilliant, only trouble they ever gave was with police models where they would leave them idling for hours at the scene of accidents to keep lights flashing ect. I had to replace a crash damaged c'case once on a 100,000 km travelled bike, very little wear anywhere. Ask K & R motorcycles in Melbourne for durability advice, oils/filters ect. The UK BMW people look to have all the good ideas.