Navigationally Challenged :(

Over the last couple of months, I've spent a lot more time than usual in my back garden. Now, my back garden - along with the rest of the house, I hasten to add - is situated under Sydney's northwestern VFR lane, half way between the north and south lanes. The north-bound planes fly out the back of our place, while the south-bound ones fly out the front. Very convenient for plane-spotting when I get bored.

What I have noticed is that the separation between the two lanes is not as distinct as you would hope. I have witnessed a small number of aircraft straying off both paths and thus flying straight over my house. The scary part (and I hope I don't get to read about the results in tomorrow's newspaper) was that this morning I saw an aircraft flying south, right along the track of the north-bound lane. It's clearly marked on the maps, and much more so on the Sydney Flying Guide that comes as standard with the VTC. I'm going to be flying this lane in the next couple of weeks. Previously I was alert. Now I think I'm alert and alarmed. 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif

Does the Sydney NW VFR land have the bright as an atomic explosion Strobe lights.?

I find it hard to believe anyone who didn't need a seeing eye dog could miss the Melbourne Light Aircraft Lane, but they do.

This problem has existed forever. Why do they fly at the same level? Nev

Because they all want to have as much height as possible over a built-up area so they can glide clear if needed and therefore fly just under CTA?

kaz