CASA Urgent Airworthiness Directive

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority has published the following urgent Airworthiness Directive:

Rotax Piston Engines

2012-0097-E - Engine Fuel and Control - Fuel Pump Pressure Side Hose - Replacement

This, and other Airworthiness Directives can be viewed at:

http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/airwd/index.htm

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Ian, very low applicability in this country I would suggest, except maybe for the P92 and p2000 range.

Yet another valuable bit of service info for owners, that Rotax to their credit, are in the habit of producing as required.

Guest Maj Millard

Least we got to Natfly !!....it was actually on the way home we detected a crack in the Lightwing made exhaust, get your facts straight................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest ozzie

Major just out of curiosity where was the location of the crack, next to a weld or any idea what caused it. I seem to think that the material seems a bit light.

ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

Basically just your standard type exhaust crack right next to a weld. I had actually removed the exhaust-can to have some small cracks welded prior to the Temora trip, and I did a good visual on the remaining pipes, so it probabily developed during the trip down. As you know I've worked in GA for close to 40 years and I see exhaust cracks all the time, on all types of machines. The Cessna ag-planes for instance always had cracks every time you did a 100 hourly, so you would just pull the exhaust system soon as they came in, and send it off to the welder.

The crack I found at Dubbo on the way back may not have been a drama except that it was blowing straight onto the oil filter, and that side carb was sucking hot exhaust. It was also a radial type crack so could have continued and broken completely. We were happy to spot it when we did. Reg mason has just retired by the way with big farewell party tomorrow night. I'm getting the urge for another Elderslie trip...when is the 55 th ?.....................................................................Cheers Ross

Guest ozzie

That's were i thought it would be. Pulled more than a few off myself on GA types. Also wondered why there have not been a few more cases of CO2 poisonings over the years.

Say g'day to Reg for me. Great engineer i would have thought that he'd be there until he dropped. How's that amazing little radial engine going that he built? Is it hanging off anything?

Elderslie we need to get on top of a few council/ llama farmer issues first then we will get back to those more important things.

2015 is the 55th anniversary. But why wait until then, 2nd weekend in Dec for the xmas party and 2nd weekend in Feb for the 'Black Death' boogie. About time you came and dusted off those dinosaur feathers.

Blue skies