Build From Plans

I'm just a bit curious about building a AC from plans

Ive search the net for plan suppliers but I couldn't find anyone in Australia supplying plans!

So I guess this means plans would have to be brought from overseas.

If One was to build from plans would they have to be approved in Australia before being able to be registered.

In other words it would be a real shame to spend all the money and time to build the AC and later find it cannot be registered.

Do these plans come under Australian standard?

And what is the procedure to approve and register

Also what is classified as an experiment AC I assume this is a type of registration with restrictions

John Corby still supplies plans for the single seat Starlet I believe, and there used to be others.

Plans don't seem to be approved but RAAus would have a list of those which have been built for their registration. Have a look at the RAAus site http://www.raa.asn.au and you will find a great deal of info to answer your questions.

Experimental is basically a GA registered aircraft and has higher weight and speed allowance than RAAus aircraft which are "homebuilt"

Build From Plans

AS mentioned above, this all depends on what sort of plane you want to build.

If it's two seat or less, and fits into the 19-XXX catagory, you can basically build what you want.

If it's going to be heavier than that, you will have to go the way of VH rego, have a PPL and build under the guidance of the SAAA.

The aircraft would also have to be on the SAAA approval list I think?

Arthur.

• 2 weeks later...

Plans

this all depends on what sort of plane you want to build.

The Criteria of what I want to build are

-2 Seater (so I can carry PAX or an instructor)

-Fully Enclosed Cockpit

-Hi wing (for site seeing)

-Being able to be registered RAA in Australia

-Plans not a kit

-No specialized material that cannot be bought in Australia

Am I asking to much??

I was interested in the BD-5 (Its only a single seater) But it cannot be registered RAA

Any Thoughts

If the Bearhawk Patrol specs. comply with the RAAus requirements it will be acceptable. Get onto RAAus either by phone or their web site and you will find out.

I was interested in the BD-5, any Thoughts

Not quite a highwing two seat cruiser?!

As for the Bearhawk, if it's the plane I'm thinking of, it's actually a four seater loosely modelled on the Maule series of aircraft.

If you want to build to plan, you could look at the Karatoo., and any hard bits you may be able to find prebuilt, ribs, fuselage frame etc.

There are also many tandem layout 'CUB' clones about that can be built from plans, or if you don't mind open cockpits you could look at the Pietenpols.

Arthur.

Not quite a highwing two seat cruiser?!

Yeah I know but it looks like a mighty fine Machine

And I'm told it cannot be RAA Registered

As for the Bearhawk, if it's the plane I'm thinking of, it's actually a four seater loosely modelled on the Maule series of aircraft

Yeah you are right but I'm interested in the Bearhawk PATROL which is a 2 seater

I'm interested in the Bearhawk PATROL which is a 2 seater

Looks like they've come full circle and re-invented the Super Cub again!

Looking at the spec sheet, it looks like it's still going to be too heavy to be an ultralight, not sure about LSA though?

Lot of work, needs a big motor (this is where the speed comes from, not by being a clean design!

Have a look at this Karatoo for an idea.

Side by side is more passenger friendly, can be powered by a 912, Jabiru or Subaru.

Arthur.

Looking at the spec sheet, it looks like it's still going to be too heavy to be an ultralight

Thanks

As far as I can tell you are right (I'm still trying to interpret the regulations (they seem to be a bit confusing))

So I assume when looking to plan build I should be looking at fitting into 95.55/1.2

Or am I wrong again?

fitting into 95.55/1.2?

ANO 95.55/1.2a really just refers to aircraft built under ANO 101.28, which is the older regulation covering homebuilt aircraft (when VH registered) and as such these craft can be more than two seat.

Some of the earlier kit/plan built ultralights that were too heavy for 95.10, but weren't covered by 95.25 (factory built), were built under the cover (and required stage inspections) of 101.28.

These planes were then registered with the designation 28-XXXX.

As mentioned on the RAAus website, most building in this catagory has moved over to the 19-XXXX class which is less stringent and has some extra weight.

Not quite enough for a Bearhawk Patrol though.

Have a look at the link above and go down to para 1.5.

Arthur.

Have a look at the link above and go down to para 1.5.

1.5 States

As with 95.10 the aircraft must carry a cockpit placard warning that the aircraft is not required to comply with the safety regulations for standard aircraft and persons (passengers) fly in it at their own risk

Ive yet to see this

Wouldnt it be a downside

1.5 States.....

OK, I don't know which bit of the link I supplied you were looking at?

The section I was refering to reads;

– Para 1.5: RA-Aus Amateur Built ultralight. Introduced in 1998 and, in effect, an expansion of 95.10 allowing a heavier, but more durable, structure. (Sometimes referred to as "Experimental" but the RA-Aus Amateur Built is only a sub-set of the Experimental Category.) An amateur built ultralight where the major portion (51% plus) of the total construction input must be the owner's construction input. The aircraft is intended for educational or recreational purposes, plus – MTOW = 544 kg; maximum Vso = 45 knots CAS; maximum 2 places. In the case of a two place seaplane the weight is extended to 614 kg. The aircraft need not be designed to an approved standard, or constructed from certified type materials, and can be of any origin but must be built in accordance with the RA-Aus Technical Manual

This is from the RAAus site.

I've yet to see this

If you are refering to the cockpit placards warning about the amature status of the aircraft, most people have them installed (in 10-X,19-X and 28-X ultralights), if not, drop them a hint to get one fitted!

Wouldn't it be a downside?

To warn un-suspecting passengers about the craft?, or to carry the weight of the placard?

Arthur.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sabre

Hi guys great thread,

Cubs, Karatoo bearhawk patrol and other cub like aircraft. I guess the question from me is which one would be the easiest and best 2 seat to build (RAA). What I'm getting at which design has the best support for builders, parts and even kits, that won't cost a leg and an arm....I have over 10 in my favorites list...(banging head on table)..lol

Guest Sabre

Plenty to chose from:

Supre Pup from Preceptoraircraft.com US$17295

Horizon 2 from Fisherflying.com US$14500

Sparrow II-XTC from sky-tek.com US$15675

then there are the Karatoo looking models:

Nordic VI from norman aviation US$19895

Ridgerunner Mdel s-III from realflying.com US$14900

Super Koala fisherflying.com US$11750

Kitfox from kitfoxaircraft.com US$17984

Criteria is easy 2 seater, in a cabin, cheap and quick to build

Super Koala might be the go....maybe..lol

If you have others, I could add them to my list

Cheers

• 3 months later...
Guest rocketman

Aircraft plans.

I can supply plans for Spacewalker and Karatoo aircraft, including the single seat Karaones and Karasports. If you do a web search for Serenity Aviation, you'll find a link that takes to us. The Spacewalkers are real "retro" looking like the 1930 Ryan trainers. Open cockpit, but a sweet flying machine. Neale.

Rocketman.

I saw what I believe is a Spacewalker 2 at Wagga last year. It was equipped with a Rotec radial engine which sounded magnificent and really looked the part. I have long thought that it would be a good plane to build.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I found a site that has some "copyright free" plans for some common aircraft.

The site is Hubpages.com, but the easiest way to get to the right place is to google this:

cfair3

It will come up with a link to one of several pages of plans, and the next link returned by Google will be Hubpages.com etc, etc.

To down load the plans you have to have a Yahoo email account, but it only takes a moment or two to create one.

Old Man Emu