Why Is It So Good?

Today was our club meet and fly-in day at Adaminaby. On the way there and back at 5000ft watching the terrain features whizz by below, I asked myself the question "Exactly what is it about flying that gives so much pleasure?". Every moment I'm up there, with or without a pax, it's just sheer pleasure .

How about you all share your thoughts in answer to this question, from your own perspective and experience of course?

Paul

Guest David C

Paul .... Thats a very good question , and one I often try and resolve myself . I think the feeling of pleasure is a product of many instances . For me its the feeling of freedom added to the feeling of control . I like to be "busy" when flying , so operating in a crowded circuit or pulling off a greaser when landing gives me great pleasure . Perhaps I'm odd , but I actually like flying circuits , because of this challenge 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif..Usually I want to fly again almost immediately after landing , such is my level of enjoyment ..

because the good bits are so different to all ground based good bits

because the bad bits are so different to all ground based bad bits

because the challenges are so different to all ground based challenges

because when you something good enough to be really pleased you know that you can still improve next time

because PIC is you will all that implies

now

let's go out and leap from the planet !!!

Dvidh

its the constant challenges! i mastered the use of my VOR today! and guess what, i managed to track it directly over the station! using no other reference, (except confirm with the VTC, and i had no previous knowedge of its location)

Challenges. That's it.

I called my mum today and told her I would be flying over her house in a few minutes to waggle the wings at her. I spotted her standing in the road and threw a lovely 75 degree turn in her honour. She was so proud. After I completed my 250nm jaunt to the meeting at Adaminaby and back to Tumut, I haretailed it back to my parents' place for a family dinner and everyone called me Biggles. She had been in all their ears.

The weight of parental approval. There's a challenge.

Seriously - flying is just that. A constant challenge. You may eventually meet one goal you have set, perhaps "greasing" every landing, but there's always another. Congrats on the VOR track Ultralights.

Plus - if you are going to constantly push yourself to new heights, you may as well do it with great scenery. We are blessed with that in this country.

The meeting was great at Adaminaby today. Great to see the CT performing well Paul. It looks like the hangars are going up soon. Then we may well challenge The Oaks crowd for constant radio chatter. We even had one member give his apologies on the CTAF while overflying for Wagga.

Executive Summary:

Flying rocks.

Ross

Through out life we experience up and downs, success and failure. Whilst I've had a full 65 years, there have been many times when I feel I've failed. You know the feeling, If only I'd......... ah hind sight!!

Whenever I go aloft however, I take off, fly where-ever, land and walk away. That's SUCCESS,SUCCESS,SUCCESS, and my soul soars. It doesn't matter if I had drifted off the centre line on take off, or my turns were too steep and my landing less than perfect, to me life has just given me an injection of something that can't be found in any phamasist. Teach all your young aquaintances, If you want to get high, learn to fly.

Safe flying every one, Doug

Guest Fred Bear

Gee, some excellent statements here and a great thread Paul.

Because in a past life I was a Bird.

I often think that Geoff. I often feel it is true for some strange reason. Flying for me...the thrill of being able to see below as an eagle can.Everything below is under the microscope up there. It's amazing and sheer beauty in this country of ours as Ross has mentioned. The freedom is the most amazing thing. Freedom of the stresses below. The smell of the crisp, clean air and clouds.Unlike anything you get on the ground.It, for me, is like a drug. I am like Dave. When I land, I long to be up there again. One of the best things in contrast to Ross' story was taking my Gran up last week. 6,000ft and playing in amongst some little clouds (fully vis at all times folks). That was pure freedom. When you are up there is when you appreciate how small you really are.:)

Recently our neighbour was going through an emotional rough patch (custody issues). While talking with him I suggested I had an urge to go flying (I didn't tell him that was a permanent condition of mine) and asked if he'd like to come for the ride. After a bit more than an hour cruising the Snowies he was a different man. You're right Darren, it's like a drug.

Paul

I often think 'what is it about flying that I love so much?' I talk about it all the time (I'm sure my friends are sick of it) and I just can't wait until the next time I can fly.

I think part of it is just the feeling of 'hey, that's me flying this thing, I never thought I could but I can.'

But I also love seeing the looks on people's (passenger's) faces when they experience a smaller aircraft for the first time, especially kids. I remember the first time I took my kids up in a Gazelle. The look of sheer terror because 'it's such a small plane' changed to some of the biggest smiles I have ever seen when we were in the air flying over the NSW coastline. It's priceless. So it not only gives me pleasure, it also provides fun and excitement for passengers.

Bob