Virtual ultralight museum

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

http://virtualultralightmuseum.com/

I came across this website recently. It has quite a list of early 'ultralights' from around the world including many from Australia. Nice to see that the most Australian pioneers are listed as well.

Does anyone have any info on Alan Clarke and photos of his Macro series of ultralights?

Cheers

Ozzie

• 2 months later...

Bloody hell Ozzie!!! I just came across the same name randomly on the net and thought "Ozzie will know who and what this was!"... but alas I did a Google search only to end up here and find you don't know...

Anyone?

A great site. Been on my pc for over a year now. Often use it when you guys talk about planes I've never heard of.

It is a lot of information... It is still from what I can gather a drop in the ocean of the history of grass roots aviation in Australia... There are some walking treasures amongst us who contain the memories...

Or... Maybe it is just me that finds the history of Aussie Grass Roots aviation fascinating?

Bloody hell Ozzie!!! I just came across the same name randomly on the net and thought "Ozzie will know who and what this was!"... but alas I did a Google search only to end up here and find you don't know...Anyone?

All my early notes and mags from MAFA days are packed away in storage and i don't have the time to dig through it all to see if Alan was part of the scene during the seventies and were he was based. Surely someone here must know of him. Another example of how hard it was back then to know exactly what was going on around the country due to the lack communication then.

• 6 months later...
http://virtualultralightmuseum.com/I came across this website recently. It has quite a list of early 'ultralights' from around the world including many from Australia. Nice to see that the most Australian pioneers are listed as well.

Does anyone have any info on Alan Clarke and photos of his Macro series of ultralights?

Cheers

Ozzie

That's just little ol' me Ozzie.

After three cyclones and two floods here are a couple of the only surviving pictures of one of the Macros, I think it was the second one, the first one didn't have a T tail and the later ones were larger with R277 engines. This was about 1984 or 85, photo looks like Leongatha Vic which is where several first flights were conducted.

424421553_Macro21984.jpg.7882699532401dd05d31ba9fc2a98eff.jpg

1457614058_Macro11984.jpg.2fd8319cadc1241a5b2d70a766e50f19.jpg

Ozzie

Nice to see that most Australian pioneers are listed as well.

There are quite a number that should be in the Pioneers and aren't - here is a list off the top of my head, perhaps you folks can think of some more and we could try and get some photos and submit them to the site.

Sander Veenstra who built the SV series - he was a great inspiration and assistance to me when I was building in Victoria

Robbie Labahn, close friend and nice guy - built the Rangers, Hitchhikers, Arrows and several others

Gordon Bedson - Resurgams

David Betteridge - The Hornet

Colin Winton - Jackeroos, Grasshoppers, Sportsman etc

Scott Winton - Facet Sapphire

Geoff Eastwood - Tyro

Gary Kimberley - Sky Rider

Werner Bekker - another good friend - Blue Max Sabre

Ron Lang - Skylark

Reg Schwarz and John Kittle - Sundowner, Swift, Super Pup, Super Pup 2

And there are more, wrack your memories folks. If anyone has photos of these people I'd really appreciate a PM, thanks, and we could forward them to VUM. They only put me in there because they found pictures of one of the types I built, the Macro, in an old Berger- Burr's publication called Ultralight and Microlight Aircraft of the World.