Nieuport Build

Well, I've almost completed the fuse on my nieuport today. A little more bracing on the rear of the fuse and I'll be ready to start on the undercarriage and fire wall forward setup. Engine arrived today courtesy of Lyle along with a prop. It's a 1600 VW that hasnt had flight time as yet and has only been bench run. cant wait to set it up on the engine stand and give it a run.

• Like 5

Hi Pete, a friend of mine has some new 92mm ally barrels and piston kits that he is trying to sell.

That would make it 1835cc, although you have to bore the cases for that. More power and less weight.

PM me if you'd like his phone number.

Keep up the good work on your build.

Cheers

JimG

• 4 weeks later...

The smallest jobs can seem to take the longest to do, all worth it in the finish though..!

Let me know when you'd like to go Drifter flying.

keep up the good work.

JimG

Peter . . I'm in Brisbane & began building the Graham Lee Nieuport II about 15 years ago. I've got the 2 fuse sides & tail feathers built using 6016-T83 that Graham approved, as 6061-T6 was near impossible or too expensive to buy here. I've got a mate who wants to build one too now but the place I was buying the tubing from, has changed hands now & they no longer carry the stuff. Question is did you buy a complete kit or source the materials locally? if locally where from & what grade of alloy.

It amazes me that 6061-T6 is so common & cheap in most of the world . . . just not Aus. I can get it from Melbourne but at $5.50 fer foot for 3/4" tube it's going to cost a bomb. I'm sure 6061-T6 is not required everywhere on the Nieuport . . . for instance, I wouldn't imagine the wing ribs or cross struts in the fuselage rear require 6061-T6 as the ribs carry very little load & the fuse cross struts are in compression. In this compression configuration I'm sure the 6061-T6 logerons would crush, before the cross braces bent. I can get 6106-T6 locally which is about 2/3rds the strength of 6061-T6 at $8.00 fo a 6 meter length.

Cheers . . . Gene

Hey Gene,

mate, I was fortunate in that I bought the plane with the wings tail and fuse sides already made and the rest of the tubing to nearly complete the plane. I bought it from Andy........ known on here as Escadrille. He would more than likely be able to steer you in the right direction as for what to use and where to get it. I've only had the plane for a few months and have been using the tubing that come with it. I think it origonally came from Performance Metals. But I'm sure someone on the forum woud be able to help out with likely suppliers. I guess that by the time I'm finished I will have had need to chase up some more myself as I think I will be short on tubing for the outboard wing struts.

Thanks for the info Peter . . . I've sent Andy a message, hopefully he'll respond soon.

Love your build, it looks real good. Drifter experience is the way to go, to transition to the Nieuport. I got my licence on Drifters back when Kooralbyn's Skyflite aviation was in full swing.

If you only need a bit of 6061-T6 you will be able to get it from Airport Metals Australia in Melbourne . . . here's a link to their website, which will show you what size 6061-T6 tubing they have in stock.

http://www.airportmetals.com/products.htm

Cheers. . . Gene

Peter, is your Nieuport going to get into the 95.10 category with the VW. . . ie under 300kg? I saw the one that sold recently was registered as 95.10 according to the rego number, but it used a 503 Rotax.

I know the Dawn Patrol had trouble getting into their ultralight category, but I think their weight limit is a fair bit less than ours. Do you have a rough idea as to what empty weight you are expecting it to be in the end?

Sure would make it simple if it slotted into the 95.10 category . . .

Phil, what are the rules for 95.55 in so far as progress inspections on the build go. Can you just build it, fill out the paperwork (weights etc.,) & register it as you would 95.10, or does a LAME have to inspect it during the build and, or, before covering the framework with fabric??

Thanks for the info on the weight Peter . . . I seem to recall from long ago that the AUF, at that time, added 70kg (average pilot weight) into the total weight of the aircraft. That is the aircraft had to weigh 230kg on its own max. I could be wrong & certainly hope I am, as I too would prefer to build under 95.10.

I just looked up some regs regarding categories & the way I read it, it talks about a total take off weight of 300kg . . . question is, does this include the pilot??

Can an aircraft take off without a pilot?? . . . definitely, but very badly if not trimmed right . . . maybe???

Can anyone here clarify these points, as CASA's regs are pretty confusing.

First hand experience information would be great on both 95.10 and 101.28 categories, regarding pre-covering inspections, LAME inspection approvals . etc.,