RAAus BFR.

Just got my renewal stuff as many of you would have, & got to wondering why a VH. BFR couldn't cover RAAus, Once you have a bit of experience with the ultralight types, & maintain currency in them. Seems like unnecessary duplication, & expense. The standard in GA.testing would require at least as much knowledge to be covered. I am aware that ,with RAAus. the testing officer is required to send in a seperate form to head office, whereas this is not required in GA, but surely rules can be written.

Cut out the red tape. There is more overlap in the 2 sections of aviation than there used to be.. Nev...

I believe the ruling is that you do your BFR in the aircraft that you do the most flying in - if it happens to be RAA registered it doesn't matter - this is what I have believed after several conversations on this matter over the last few years.

Chris - I would guess that the instructor would have to also by a GA instructor - I will have to get some clarity on this unless anyone else knows for sure - it has been a while since this topic has come up and I can't rmember what the result was.

The advice that I received from CASA was that I could do my GA bfr in a RAA aircraft provided that the instructor was working with a organization that held the appropriate AOC to issue the GA flight review and did hold an RAA certificate as well. I am not sure weather or not the examiner needed to hold an RAA instructor rating. If so then I dare say for one flight and two fees you could do both flight reviews in a RAA aircraft.

Davidh

There was an article about this the RA-Aus magazine maybe about 12 months ago. My last BFR (now known as AFR - Aeroplane Flight Review) was conducted in the Sportstar - it covered my PPL and RA-Aus flight reviews in the same flight as the Sportstar was certified for controlled airspace and the instuctor was a GA CFI and RA-Aus CFI. We could carry out all the necessary GA flight review components i.e. controlled airspace as well as the standard airwork everyone does i.e. forced landings, glide approaches, emergency procedures etc.

Guest J430

Sportstar, You are correct, if you have the right instructor its all fine.

here is my theory on the matter, do not penny pinch, do both and if you can like I do they are spaced 12 months apart, you get effectively an annual BFR that way with two different CFI's.

Yeah it costs abit more but who cares, its flying, its learning its keeping you safer......the extra $100 you could have wasted on flowers for your wife.............think about it. Or for the girls out there, its half a good pair of shoes:laugh:

Do both, enjoy the experience and for goodness sake DO NOT find some dodgy that writes them out just because you arrived in one piece at their strip. I know this happens, and its wrong! Stupid! and dangerous! Think the swiss cheese theory.

Rant over......so just enjoy the extra learning experience!

J:)

GA BFR.

J430, I do not accept the thrust of your argument. Consistency & logic would allow that the GA BFR. the content & standard of which (in my experience & I have never heard anyone suggest other wise ) is in excess of the RAA, should be accepted in lieu. After all, the restriction on taildragger is removed if you have previous GA taildragger endorsement, as well as recognition of x-country nav, radio, hours flown, instructor time etc.

Implicit in your suggestion of essentially pay the money & enjoy the learning experience, are some assumptions. You mention the figure of 100 dollars. That would be approximately 40 minutes dual, with an RAA A/C .A GA BFR would never be concluded in such a short time, nor would most RAA reviews, so we are really up for a fair bit more money, than the figure stated.

In a round -about way you are suggesting that a review annually has advantages. Surely you are not serious, if so ,don't speak too loudly, or we might end up with them.

The REVIEW is a structural requirement designed to maintain a standard, and as such is able to be failed. We are talking about standards. This is in essence a CHECK flight, I could not approach it regarding it as a training flight.You should be fully prepared to fly well, & know all the material that might be reasonably required to be known to operate the aircraft, when you present for the flight. You might learn something in the process, but that is incidental, and shouldn't rely on the instructor spending the extra time (unless it's pre- arranged) to get you over the line. If you have any doubts that you might be a bit rusty with some sequence, request a training period,and if it goes well, & the instructor is aware that you are are due for a renewal, He may well be happy to complete the review on the day.

This way, you don't put the instructor in the position of "having to be a good bloke," and pass you ,when he's not really thrilled with your performance. I doubt that anyone ( or certainly no one I would regard as a friend ) would get any enjoyment in failing some one, but it could be necessary, but extremely unpleasant for all concerned. Nev...

Guest brentc

I think J430 is indirectly also suggesting that you can never undervalue the benefit of having flown with a couple of different instructors. There are sometimes things covered in the RA renewal that aren't included in the GA renewal and I've experienced this first hand.

The minimum flight length for a GA BFR is legally 1.0 hours. In your own aircraft, with an instructor cost of say $70 an hour and J430's fuel burn of 20 litres per hour at $1.50, you get $100. I suspect that's the reasoning behind the $100.

It is indeed unfortunate that there are instructors out there, both RA and GA that will hand out a renewal if you simply turn up in your own aircraft and I'm not just talking about single seaters.

Guest John Mac

Just wondering if you could point me to the reg which states a minimum 1 hour for a AFR.

I would hate to get ripped off !!

JM

• 2 years later...
It is indeed unfortunate that there are instructors out there, both RA and GA that will hand out a renewal if you simply turn up in your own aircraft and I'm not just talking about single seaters.

How about:

Current RA Aus Ops Manual

Section 2.07-3

Para 5

Sub para e.

sub sub para (1), and

sub sub para (3)

as I read it, your CFI can deem your BFR after interviewing you on the ground.

(or have I got this a - about?) :hittinghead:

regards